Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Holmes was in his prime, would he have still lost to Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible to say from the fat, bloated version that did fight him. I will say it'd be a hell of a lot more competitive and Tyson would get sick of that jab. I don't think Holmes could hurt Tyson, so it'd be a long night, and one where Larry would get up from the floor once, maybe twice. 15 rounder I think he can win, 12 rounder I'd give the edge to Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
      Impossible to say from the fat, bloated version that did fight him. I will say it'd be a hell of a lot more competitive and Tyson would get sick of that jab. I don't think Holmes could hurt Tyson, so it'd be a long night, and one where Larry would get up from the floor once, maybe twice. 15 rounder I think he can win, 12 rounder I'd give the edge to Mike.
      I don't recall anybody being able to use their jab very effective against Mike.

It was Buster's overhand right that gave him all the trouble.

Comment

Hell no.tyson didnt beat anyone half as good as prime holmes

Comment

I don't think so. Holmes could take some massive punches in his prime, he could move, and his jab was incredible. He would win a decision against Tyson.

Comment

I think Tyson will and was always faster and stronger than Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post

Buster's jab was pretty effective against Tyson. You do realize we're talking about Larry Holmes' jab here? The best jab the division has ever seen? Just checkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                Buster's jab was pretty effective against Tyson. You do realize we're talking about Larry Holmes' jab here? The best jab the division has ever seen? Just checkin.
                Who did prime Holmes ever fight that was anything like a prime Tyson?

Jabs don't win fights against prime Tyson. He's too hard to hit. I wouldn't expect a guy who only watches Klitschko and David Haye video's to contribute anything to a thread discussing two American Greats.

Comment

Its a pickem fight, honestly...............I could change my mind all day on this one.

Its very close, but all I will say is Holmes 1988 was nothing like Holmes 1980, their fight in 1988 was not really indicative of what would happen if both met in their prime. He was 38, fighting at fairly short notice in what? Two and a half years out of the ring!

Even then, the 1988 Holmes was able to avoid serious punishment for a few rounds and I think the faster, more slippery, fitter peak Holmes from 8 years previous may well be able to do this for at least a couple of rounds more till Tyson's early onslaught had subsided.

If Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker could fiddle their way to survival over 12 rounds with peak Tyson you have to bet that peak Larry could at least survive the distance........and then some!! He had a great chin and excellent defensive skills, he was certainly superior to these two.

If Tyson couldn't stop Larry in the first 6 rounds, I cant see him getting a late round stoppage. He never stopped anyone remotely as good as Larry in the late rounds of fights and Larry's chin was terrific through round 15!

Therefore I'd argue that we are looking at a distance fight more often than not. Tyson might easily scratch out a points win, with a knockdown or two to his credit over 12 rounds. But as Jim Jeffries earlier touched on, over the 15 round distance (and yes Tyson defended his title in a scheduled 15 round bout vs Biggs) I'd have to shade Holmes by points.

Comment

i wouldn't be surprised if he dropped larry at least once, but imo prime holmes was just too good on his feet. he'd stay well away from mike in a 12 rounder or a 15 rounder while cutting mike to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post

Dunno Douglas worked the jab pretty well as I recall. All boxing flows off the jab and so many didn't use it or their reach against a prime Tyson. Like we are seeing with the Klit brothers if you don't try and nullify an opponents strengths and impose yourself on a fight you will make them look unbeatable.
                      Holmes at his peak would give Tyson murders and remembering the Shavers fight his chin would hold up against some pretty strong shots IMO.
                      Not impossible for a prime Tyson to get through but a prime Holmes will make him pay on the way in.
                      Be a great fight this one

Comment

Working...
                      X