No announcement yet.

WBO 130lbs Champion Rocky Martinez from Brawler to Boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBO 130lbs Champion Rocky Martinez from Brawler to Boxer

Rocky Martinez left behind the style of give and take.

The comments of the street came to the ears of Roman 'Rocky' Martinez, who will make the case to what they said.

The vegabajenian champion of 130 pounds, isturning his style of fighter for a boxer for his next fight in September 12 at the Coliseum Jose Miguel Agrelot, being that the first defense of his championship.

"My team told me that I gave three or four punches and picked up two or three in the process, and they recommended me to change that style," said Martinez in the Pre-weight in before yesterda, which he weighted 138 lbs.

"We will change a little the system. Let's jab more, we will slip more punches, controlling my mind, without going over the boxer. I got that on my head, "he added.

Martinez is known as a fighter on the ring and, therefore, little defense.

It is said that the champions starts his offense after his rival wakes him up with several good punches.

The fighter said his style is driven by fans, who likes that kind of combat.

Crowned champion last March, recommended that Martinez would not be so brave in the ring because the beatings could shortened his career.

One of those who recommended the change was his stable mate, champion Ivan Calderon, who knows how to move around the ring.

"That's what he need, because Rocky is tough in itself. He can fight, but also has to move, "said Calderon, who climbed into the ring yesterday in the Wilfredo Gomez gym alongside martinez.

Now accustomed to fighting over the last eight years, Martinez acknowledges that it has become difficult to change the style of fight.

But he said the training has proved that he is not just a one dimensional fighter.

"I've seen the results and went pretty well," he said.

With his style of fight, Martinez accumulated a record of 22-0 and 13KOs, since he debuted in 2001 until he won the title last March.

He has went he distance vastly, but he also has managed to win by knockout, which shows good physical condition.

His defense will be against the Mexican, Michael Lozada, who has the record of 31-5 with 24 nocauts.

New Trainer

To help change his style, Martinez and his working group hired a new coach, Dennis Rivera.

Rivera will not replace head trainer Luis "Papo" Torres, who helped Martinez the day he won the world championship in London in March.

"What we bring to help you in Rocky explosiveness, in the defense and to move more so than standing," said the driver and uncle Martinez, Manuel Martinez.

Rivera Martínez group reaches the field of martial arts, said the driver.

"It was a three-time world champion in kickboxing," said Martinez.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/campeonesm...os-602901.html
    In this link theres a Vid of Ivan Calderon talking and shadowing abit!!!
    Last edited by Ch@mpBox@PR; 08-13-2009, 03:56 PM.

This is very good for Rocky, because he was another angulo or Margarito in the making.

Im glad he is making the proper adjustments!!!!!!

Comment

cant teach an old dog new tricks.....roman likes to brawl mi tio (papo) has been trying to make him box but when hes inside the ring he goes crazy i hope the new coach can help him out. rocky is good and has a bright future ahead of him

Comment

Your being biased. Martinez will continue brawling no matter what. With that being said someone like Guerrero will stop his ass. He almost got KOed by Nicky Cook. Guerrero KO 3.

Comment

good post. i like rocky's brawling style but its good he's learning how to defend and move.

Comment

He got dropped by that British hype job that didn't even have much power, he better change his stype or else ass whipping will be waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by XviciousX View Post
              Your being biased. Martinez will continue brawling no matter what. With that being said someone like Guerrero will stop his ass. He almost got KOed by Nicky Cook. Guerrero KO 3.
              guerrero might win if he does'nt quit in the 2nd round!.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by XviciousX View Post
                WTF are you talking about.

WTF is ias abut teh article that I didnt even made.

he was off balance and got hit flush in the jaw and didnt went down, so STFU!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                  guerrero might win if he does'nt quit in the 2nd round!.....lol
                  Daud Yordan was slick and crafty and Guerrero looked for an early way out from that. Martinez is anything but slick and crafty. Hes an up-and-coming Ricky Hatton, who promises before every fight to be a better boxer but only build themselves up for a big TKO loss. Guerrero KO 3.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                    He got dropped by that British hype job that didn't even have much power, he better change his stype or else ass whipping will be waiting.
                    Nope, he didnt got drop!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X