Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest and conflicted reflections on Muhammad Ali...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasnt that upset by the death of Prince or Ali. I think its because i dont fall for the emotional attachment to them as people. But i love and admire what the created or achieved.
    A poster on here a while back said to me "we are what we leave behind". Our legacy is what defines us i guess. And Ali, Prince, whichever hugely talented individual left their mark and changed the world. The fact that Ali is physically gone doesnt mean that much to me. He is still an inspiration.
    The saddest thing about these legends dying is how the younger generation doesnt know or give a **** about them. Plus there are no present day icons for them to look up to. They dont know what it means to have and lose a true legend.

Who are they going to mourn in the future? The Rock? Eminem? Adele?

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
      It does feel weird to have lost the premier boxer and I'm still pondering why I'm not that sad.

I guess it's because he's out of a pained life now, and I'd kind of said goodbye to him a few years ago. I thought I'd be devastated, but rumours (rumors, FY) of his death have circulated so long it didn't really come as a shock.
      As cruel as it may sound, the Ali that we all knew and loved was long gone. Aside from a quote here and there (that may or may not have been done by a family member or publicist) he was in a sense already dead.

In a way I almost feel proud. The hardcore boxing community is such a small one. There is not many of us left these days. To see one of the guys we root for given so much attention, so much praise, makes me happy to be a fan of the sport.

Comment

He had been in poor health for years and years, dying ended his suffering actually.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
          As cruel as it may sound, the Ali that we all knew and loved was long gone. Aside from a quote here and there (that may or may not have been done by a family member or publicist) he was in a sense already dead.
          Exactly. He was a regular on the UK chat show circuit, and the last time he was on with a particular interviewer - and this was in the 1980s - he said it was "like talking to his shadow."

Comment

Real ****ing classy to criticize a man right when he dies.

As if anybody in this lounge is some kind of saint.

Comment

Originally posted by !BEAST View Post
              Real ****ing classy to criticize a man right when he dies.

As if anybody in this lounge is some kind of saint.
              We were having a sensible discussion before you came along, love.

Have a dog and calm down.

Comment

Working...
              X