No announcement yet.

A few thoughts on Ortiz/Money May.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T.Mag56 View Post
    Am I merely skeptical, and fantastically presumptuous, or does this decision seem drastically uncharacteristic for Floyd, with a possible faint whiff of a "set up"?

If you look closely at the details, it almost doesn't make any sense for Floyd to want this fight. A young, brash, tough, hard hitting, aggressive south paw, ten years his junior, who has knocked *down all of his opponents..., win, lose or draw. The kid is 24 years old, and is coming off a beautiful war with an undefeated Berto, who was favored in the fight. Even in his most recent loss, to Maidana, the Mexican kid knocked down his opponent three times, on his way to "losing" because of a bad cut. It proves that he'll go toe to toe with anyone, take a hit, and give it harder. Except for maybe his draw with Peterson, Ortiz is a forward marching beast, an unrelenting brawler, who obviously presents a REAL threat to Mayweather. Not only because he's a southpaw, or because he's a 24 year old picture perfect boxing prodigy, but because the kid really has his head on straight. He's charismatic, he's sharp, and he actually gives the fans what they want. A fight. He may not be Marvin Hagler, but he's not far off enough for Mayweather to consider him a realistic tune up.

How can Mayweather not see this as a massive risk? If he loses this fight, from a sudden left hook to the chin (and we all know he's vulnerable from that side), or constant aggression from a guy who will throw more punches (guaranteed) round for round, he will miss out on possibly the BIGGEST, most desired boxing event of our generation. This is why I ask the question to my fellow boxing fans; is this a fix? A prearranged, glorified sparring session, where Mayweather can prepare for Pacquaio with ease, and grant a young southpaw his biggest pay day...to date?

I understand that Ortiz may not have the skills of Mayweather, and this is all obvious. Floyd is a defensive genius, and would likely be confident with anyone anywhere near his weight, however, why choose Ortiz for a tune up? Why this particular young, CHAMPION southpaw? It's uncharacteristic for a guy who likes to fight smaller, weaker, or shot fighters.

We either have a case of a monetary agreement between a multi millionare and a future "star" of boxing, which will benefit them both, especially if Floyd wins, OR...a misjudgment of ego, and lack of foresight for Mayweather. Manny Pacquiao is waiting in the wings, regardless of the results, but I doubt Floyd would consciously, logically, risk this Magnum Opus of such an event, by stepping into the ring with an eager young warrior, who will be head hunting. I propose the idea that if Zab Judah & Mosley can hit Floyd, then Ortiz will hit him harder, and more often. Why risk it, before the possibility of the biggest fight in at least a decade?

And, I propose this, if Victor Ortiz ever reads this. Read this carefully. Win. Forget about the agreement, if there is one, and knock him out. Have some pride. Whatever amount of money Mayweather's camp, or investors, might give you for participating in a glorified sparring session..., I promise you will make far more, in spades, a hundred fold, in the future, if you knock out the undefeated Money May.

- T
    not that I read the entire diatribe of crap but the bolded made me chuckle

Ortiz is a southpaw so if he were to land my guess would be a straight left and not a left hook, which if you know the sport is much more common in um .........right handed fighters

Comment

Thank you for highlighting the quote for us all. As I said, and everyone can see above, "...he's vulnerable from that side," was the exact statement. It's obvious to anyone who actually read the posting adequately that I used the "left hook" as a mere example of a possible punch Ortiz might deliver (from that side), and did not specifically say that he's vulnerable to left hooks precisely. And, I'm not a tool. I read things thoroughly.

Comment

After seeing a fixed fight the other night, your presumption is actually pretty good.

I think you're wrong about Mayweather fighting weaker opponents - he's got a pretty solid resume, but the idea about a fix is plausible.

If Ortiz fights the way he did against Berto, he's got a good chance. If he fights like he did with Peterson - no way. If it goes to the cards, Mayweather wins.

Comment

Golden Boy Headquarters Las Vegas, NV Oscar de la Hoya and Victor Ortiz sit at a table facing each other

Oscar- "I think you're gonna find when all this sh-it is over and done I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherfu-cker."
          (A hand lays an envelope full of money on the table in front of Victor. Victor picks it up.) Now the night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting, that's pride fu-ckin' wit ya. fu-ck pride! Cause a year from now, when you're kickin' it in the Caribbean you're gonna say "Oscar de la Hoya was right."

Victor- "I got no problem with that."

Oscar- "In the fifth, your ass goes down. Say it!"

Victor- "In the fifth, my ass goes down."

Comment

I should also add, that in my defense, as someone who "knows the sport," good sir, Ortiz hit Berto several times with left hooks, and not just within the combination that first dropped him, which ended with a straight left. You should go back and watch it, just in case you were doing something else at the time of that fight. I can also cite actual articles for evidence to back up the fact that Ortiz did indeed throw that punch (actually...here, Victor's left hooks are mentioned twice: sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6372519). And, just to clarify, Ortiz is indeed a bonafide southpaw, and incorporates the left hook with consistency, despite what's believed to be a somehow strictly orthodox punch. Did I really need to say that? Let's keep this discussion informed & educated.

And, as far as Mayweather being vulnerable to southpaws, I think this is the general opinion of those who have followed Mayweather throughout his career. However, I admit that "vulernable" is a strong term, since he's handled himself beautifully in all situations, regardless of being caught more frequently from the left side.

Comment

Am I merely skeptical, and fantastically presumptuous, ?

And, I propose this, if Victor Ortiz ever reads this. Read this carefully. Win. Forget about the agreement, if there is one, and knock him out. Have some pride. Whatever amount of money Mayweather's camp, or investors, might give you for participating in a glorified sparring session..., I promise you will make far more, in spades, a hundred fold, in the future, if you knock out the undefeated Money May.

- T

Cheesy ass dude go back to writing pre-teen romance novels.

Comment

This guy uses Margarito as an icon picture. It makes sense, really. I'd rather be cheesy than ignorant. It's like shooting anchovies in a tecate can, over here. Your idol is an overrated cheater, who was defeated by a slow, aged Sugar Shane, even with his gloves loaded. Watch some more fights, educate yourself in the history of the sport, and find a better role model. Perhaps Butter Bean might be a step up, good sir.

Comment

If Ortiz wants to stop Floyd he better develop a wicked overhand right and a decent jab to set it up with. He won't be fast enough to sneak a hard straight left through Floyd's peek-a-boo guard. If he throws that hard left when Floyd's in the philly shell, he'll get countered hard all night.

Comment

This guy uses Margarito as an icon picture. It makes sense, really. I'd rather be cheesy than ignorant. It's like shooting anchovies in a tecate can, over here. Your idol is an overrated cheater, who was defeated by a slow, aged Sugar Shane, even with his gloves loaded. Watch some more fights, educate yourself in the history of the sport, and find a better role model. Perhaps Butter Bean might be a step up, good sir.

Lol...btw I can't see Ortiz lying down for Floyd in this fight. The guy's got the momentum here & he'd be stupid to even entertain the idea.

But Ortiz better come correct on September 17th otherwise Floyd is gonna make him like foolish.

On a side note, does anyone know when 24/7 starts?

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post

Lol...btw I can't see Ortiz lying down for Floyd in this fight. The guy's got the momentum here & he'd be stupid to even entertain the idea.

But Ortiz better come correct on September 17th otherwise Floyd is gonna make him like foolish.

On a side note, does anyone know when 24/7 starts?
                      I think its Aug 27th

Comment

Working...
                      X