Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

De La Hoya tweets apology again, but is that good enough?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De La Hoya tweets apology again, but is that good enough?

Ben Thompson
    Fight Hype
    May 26, 2011

Earlier today, from the confines of a private rehab center somewhere in California, 10-time world champion Oscar De La Hoya publicly apologized to his former promoter, Bob Arum, as well as pound-for-pound champion Manny Pacquiao for any pain or wrongdoing his mistakes may have caused. Although it's unclear as to exactly what "mistakes" De La Hoya is referring to, one can assume that he's likely talking about comments that he made regarding Pacquiao and the alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs; comments which De La Hoya is currently in the middle of a libel suit for. While on the surface, the apology may seem sincere, but it begs the question, is this simply a required step in De La Hoya's rehabilitation process, making amends with those he has wronged in the past?

The more important question, however, is whether or not Arum and Pacquiao truly believe that the comments De La Hoya posted to his official Twitter account are sincere. After all, although the statements were directly addressed to Pacquiao and Arum, neither one of them are really active on the social network. In fact, the 79-year-old Arum doesn't even have a Twitter account and Pacquiao, who just created an account a few months ago, last updated his page over a month ago. One would think that a sincere apology would first be delivered to those that were wronged so they won't be the last ones to hear about it. Nevertheless, the rehab center that De La Hoya voluntarily checked himself into evidently encourages the use of the internet to stay connected to the outside world, so the future Hall of Famer, who's been updating his Twitter account throughout his stay, took the opportunity to Tweet the following message for his roughly 75,000 followers to see:

@OscarDeLaHoya: Dear bob arum first I would like to humbly apologize for any pain I have caused to you and or your family.I also want to apologize....

@OscarDeLaHoya: To manny paquiao for any wrong doing in my part.you are a great champion.I have realized that by accepting my mistakes everyone around me...

@OscarDeLaHoya: Will hopefully forgive me.with great humility I ask we work together for the good of the sport we dearly love.It is not fair to the fans...

@OscarDeLaHoya: And to the fighters.so today let's move forward and put on the best fights possible and show the world what we are capable of doing.

@OscarDeLaHoya: Thank you bob.your friend oscar

This actually marks the second time that De La Hoya has apologized to Bob Arum via Twitter. The first time was back in December of last year, when De La Hoya first attempted to end the Cold War that has existed between Golden Boy Promtions and Top Rank for the past couple of years. It was Arum's birthday when De La Hoya tweeted this similar message:

@OscarDeLaHoya: Hello everyone, I am writing these words with great sincerity. Bob arum first of all happy b day and second I want to apologize for anything

@OscarDeLaHoya: That's I have said.let's somehow put this behind us and make fights let's show the world why boxing is the best sport

For what it's worth, when Bob Arum was informed of De La Hoya's comments, he didn't exactly accept the apology, but he did appreciate the gesture, telling Examiner.com's Michael Marley, "I will say this, it is a very nice gesture on Oscar's part. We're grateful for that." Whether or not that means we're one step closer to ending the animosity between the two biggest promotional companies in the sport remains to be seen, however, it's good to see that De La Hoya is making the effort as he continues to work through this difficult time.
    Last edited by ThunderWolf; 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM.

we're still waiting on schaefer's apology.....

but still, we know golden boy is Top Rank's b1tch now. official.

u all will bow down to arum or else!

long live the Bob Father

Comment

In the Pac-Marquez III press both DLH and Schaefer should kiss Arum's ass, so uncle Bob would forget everything about feud.

Comment

Well im glad both these promotion giants have squashed the beef because i think the fued will kill the beautiful sport of boxing. They need to make the fights for the fans with fighters from both stables fighting each other!!!

Comment

man this is so rare for a boxer to admit he was wrong and outright apologize with no excuses attached. i strongly applaud oscar for doing this. i know that manny will accept his apology, but arum is a true shark so if he smells blood he just might go in for the complete kill. . .

Comment

even though arum can't possibly live that much longer, he still has his eyes set on completely taking over and monopolizing the talent like UFC.

Comment

Arum should be careful and not trust De la Hoya

Comment

Seems like rehab is really helping DLH better himself, good for him.

Comment

Twitter is wack....if he has the nerve to called PAC a cheat on video, he minus well do a video with the apology.

Comment

i know, in the land of keyboard warriors, that its unacceptable to apologize.

But in the real world, when people **** up, its not unusual to say you are sorry. I my memory is correct, it started with oscar, manny and a suitcase of dollars, but im not sure. If oscar wants to set the record straight and might i add, probably make boxing better, with an apology, then well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X