Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire Focused On Filipino Boxing Solidarity

Donaire focused on Filipino boxing solidarity

August 10, 9:08 AMLA Boxing ExaminerRicardo Lois

Nonito Donaire is focused on his Saturday night Pinoy Power pay per view bout with Rafael Concepcion at the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas, Nevada. And he should be, though Concepcion's record is not perfect at 13 wins, 3 losses by knockout, and a draw, the Panamanian has the reputation of carrying heavy punch which can stop a fight in a split second.

With his mind glued on Concepcion, I took the opportunity to get a look into Donaire's future plans when he visited The Boxing Truth Radio this past Sunday and asked what his plans beyond Saturday nights tangle with Concepcion might be.

"The [Fernando] Montiel fight I was supposed to fight," said Donaire. "It is still stuck in my head. Montiel is one of the guys I want to get in the ring with and maybe [Jorge] Arce as well.

I am all for a fight between Donaire and Montiel, it is one of the better fights that could be made below the bantamweight limit of 118 pounds. Mexico against the Philippines sells well at the box office and draws in viewers since Manny Pacquiao went about his merry way destroying the Aztec nation's long list of modern day warriors.

But sometimes a civil war can be just as entertaining as international fistic conflict and I pressed Nonito with the possibility of a bout with Brian Viloria. Donaire did not completely balk at the idea of a clash with Viloria, but focused on solidarity within the ring for Pinoy fighters.

"At this time Filipinos need to stick together," said Donaire. "We are not at the level of Latino fighters, where there is Latin Fury 11. We need to stick together to get to that level."

A noble concept by Donaire, but I would argue Filipinos have become a viable producer of world class boxers on par with Mexico, Puerto Rico, or any other Spanish speaking country. Why not spice up things within the Filipino nation and bump with Brian Viloria?

When Donaire and Viloria fought on the same card in Manila earlier this year, the atmosphere was electric inside the Araneta Colesium.

Donaire might be headlining Pinoy Power this Saturday, but I envision a Pinoy Civil War pay per view with real Pinoy Power in 2010 featuring Viloria and Nonito at odds.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2850-LA-Boxing-Examiner~y2009m8d10-Donaire-focused-on-Filipino-boxing-solidarity

I already bought this ppv ahead of time , Time Warner, channel 799 HDPPV, $34.95+++

Comment

Working...
    X