No announcement yet.

Weight lifting and the heavy bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting and the heavy bag

Hi guys! I have never boxed in a match, but I trained with my grandfather. I am built just like he was, just bigger. I am, 33 yo, 5'11'', 190 pounds. As an aside, his snappy jab alone often would land an opponent. Cool to watch.
    Anyway, my current training is:

Mon: chest (bench, incline, pushups)
    Tues: 30 mins on the heavy bag, starting with jab, leading to right/left crosses, left/right straights, body blows, then upper cuts. I will usually combp flurry for a bit after that, sometimes bringing my time to 45 mins.
    Wed: curls, inverted curls, shoulder presses
    thursday: bike
    fri: chest again
    sat: bag, bag, bag
    Sun: rest

Been doing this for about a year.

Is this adequate, or too much, or just wrong if I want to develop a powerful striking technique as well as build a bit of mass?

I augment my diet with .8 grams of whey protien per pound, and creatine.

Oh, I also ave a bit of a pooch and want it GONE. The rest of my body is practically fat free.

-S

the "pooch" is from glucose from white breads and rice and such so go low on the carbs if you can and if you already are then I don't know what to say.

if you want to develope good strong punches I suggest when doing heavy bag do power punching drills

if you want to know more go to www.rossboxing.com

there is a ton of great information there.

Comment

Pretty good, when i'm in the gym, I do this:

Strech out (5 minutes)

2 minutes each 4 rounds
      Shadow Boxing(Very important) you should start.
      Jumping Jacks
      Shadow boxing
      Running on the spot( arms up and out )
      Shadow boxing
      Jumping jacks
      Shadow boxing

4 two minute rounds on the bag, 20 second breaks

Some jogging around the track, about .5 mile, not much (theres a track right next to the gym)

4 two minute rounds on the skipping ropes, 20 second breaks

Bike/Medicine ball/speed bag/ sit ups 4 rounds of whatever u want

Circuit which is: (20 seconds each)4 rounds 20 second breaks

Jumping Jacks
      Running on the spot
      Push ups
      Sit ups
      Str8 arm punching
      burpees

Leg Exercises

Lay on your back with you hands under your butt

Lift you feet up and hold it there for 20 seconds
      Down, 10 second break
      Lift your feet up and move them counter clockwise, then the other way, 20 seconds
      Down, 10 second break
      Put your knees up to your chest and reach straight up for 20 seconds go down up down up
      Down, 10 second break
      Put your feet up and hold it for 20 seconds, slowly drop them on 10 seconds, dont touch the floor until 10
      Down

I like it, although it might be tough just getting into it.

I also heard that if you lay on the floor arms at your side and pull your neck to your chest, you will be able to take punches better.

Comment

what are u training for man? u havnt mad it clear, general fitness or boxing, 2 much we slow u down, after one round of sparing, ur muscles wll get heavy, heavy bag punching is overrated, speedball is what works ya cardi and fast twicth muscles. its an ok workout program, reminds me of iron mikes a little with heavy bag, bike and weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunna
          what are u training for man? u havnt mad it clear, general fitness or boxing, 2 much we slow u down, after one round of sparing, ur muscles wll get heavy, heavy bag punching is overrated, speedball is what works ya cardi and fast twicth muscles. its an ok workout program, reminds me of iron mikes a little with heavy bag, bike and weights.
          what are u training for man? u havnt mad it clear, general fitness or boxing, 2 much weights slow u down, after one round of sparing, ur muscles wll get heavy, heavy bag punching is overrated, speedball is what works ya cardio and fast twitc h muscles. its an ok workout program, reminds me of iron mikes a little with heavy bag, bike and weights

Comment

Working...
          X