No announcement yet.

FAF - Fantasy Amateur Fighting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAF - Fantasy Amateur Fighting

With the introduction of the World Series of Boxing (WSB) since 2010 and it being a highly successful franchise, I had an idea for people to post their fantasy amateur teams and have some compelling debates over who would be most successful in a initial group and then knock-out competition.

The rules are, teams of 5 - amateur weights (e.g. including heavyweight and super heavy), and you can include current standout amateurs, former ones that are now pros or current successful world champions with standout amateur backgrounds. There's a lot of potential for your teams - e.g. an American side could include Floyd, Holyfield, Bowe, Leonard etc...Cuba with guys like Rigo, Lara, Solis...Kazakhstan with GGG and their current top successful stars...Russia with Povetkin, Mekhontsev, Kovalev...U.K with Lennox, Khan, DeGale...well - you all get the point by now!

The fights would be 5 rounds, pretty much amateur rules in terms of scoring etc but no headguard is worn.

My team would be:

Ukraine Otamans

Super Heavyweight - Wladimir Klitschko ('96 olympics gold medalist/ 134-6 record/current heavyweight champ in pros)

Heavyweight - Oleksandr Usyk ('12 olympics gold medalist/6-0 in WSB)

Light Heavyweight - Oleksandr Gvozdyk ('12 olympics bronze medalist/9-0 in WSB)

Middleweight - Evhen Khytrov ('11 world championship gold medalist)

Lightweight - Vasyl Lomachenko (Double olympic gold medalist '08 + '12/396-1 amateur record, 6-0 in WSB)

List your teams! Preferably, have current amateurs and former stars/current pros.

Discuss!
    Last edited by PainfromUkraine; 01-11-2014, 08:45 PM.

Super heavy:Teofilo stevenson(3 time gold medalist and 3 time world amateur champion)

Heavy: Felix Savon (3 time Gold Medalist 6 times world amateur champion)

Middleweight: Erislandy Lara (Amateur world champion currently boxing pro everyone here knows the guy -_-)

Lightweight:Mario Kindelan (2 time gold medalist 3 time world champion interesting fun facts: beat both tito trinidad and miguel cotto as amateur with a broken arm was rumored and Amir Khan two armed both times tho lol)

Bantamweight:Guillermo Rigondeaux(2 time gold medalist 2 time world amateur champion currently a undefeated pro WBA/WBO Super World Bantamweight champ)
    Last edited by DannYankee; 01-11-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
      Super heavy : Teofilo stevenson
      Heavy: Felix Savon
      Middleweight: Erislandy Lara
      Lightweight:Mario Kindelan
      Bantamweight:Guillermo Rigondeaux
      Flyweight:Yuriorkis Gamboa
      This is the problem, there could be different weights for people's picks so it would be fairly difficult to truly compare in terms of direct matchups, but we can still discuss which teams would be most formidable.

BTW, do you (or anyone else) know where to find detailed amateur boxing records? Is there some database or something cos I can't find it...

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
        This is the problem, there could be different weights for people's picks so it would be fairly difficult to truly compare in terms of direct matchups, but we can still discuss which teams would be most formidable.

BTW, do you (or anyone else) know where to find detailed amateur boxing records? Is there some database or something cos I can't find it...
        IF you know the dudes name wikipedia is your friend and they usually post their sources.I just realized i had 6 guys in there XD but the heavier weights getting more love that the lower weight classes you got super heave , heavy and light heavyweight then middle and lightweight so i took out the flyweight XD

Comment

IF you know the dudes name wikipedia is your friend and they usually post their sources.I just realized i had 6 guys in there XD but the heavier weights getting more love that the lower weight classes you got super heave , heavy and light heavyweight then middle and lightweight so i took out the flyweight XD
          Wiki yeah, thats what I generally use to find out but on some fighters their overall record isn't posted, especially if it's not like a serious standout record or if the fighter is not really highly known. You had 6? I didn't notice haha. But in WSB I think each matchup is different in terms of weight selections cos theres only the 5 picks per matchup but theres weights in the squads from light flyweight to super heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
            Wiki yeah, thats what I generally use to find out but on some fighters their overall record isn't posted, especially if it's not like a serious standout record or if the fighter is not really highly known. You had 6? I didn't notice haha. But in WSB I think each matchup is different in terms of weight selections cos theres only the 5 picks per matchup but theres weights in the squads from light flyweight to super heavy.
            Yeah im watching the fights wsb now dont tell me what happened lol

Comment

Super heavy:Teofilo stevenson(3 time gold medalist and 3 time world amateur champion)

Middleweight: Erislandy Lara (Amateur world champion currently boxing pro everyone here knows the guy -_-)

Lightweight:Mario Kindelan (2 time gold medalist 3 time world champion interesting fun facts: beat both tito trinidad and miguel cotto as amateur with a broken arm was rumored and Amir Khan two armed both times tho lol)

Bantamweight:Guillermo Rigondeaux(2 time gold medalist 2 time world amateur champion currently a undefeated pro WBA/WBO Super World Bantamweight champ)
              That would be a beastly squad bro

Comment

Yeah im watching the fights wsb now dont tell me what happened lol
                Which match are you watching? I couldn't watch any of the recent ones, I just know the results.

Comment

Ok, bro, you posted first, so you took most of the good ones. lol But the Cubans are so deep, that I can replace that entire squad and still kick ass. Plus, I'd like to give a "shout out" to a few of the guys that time has forgotten.

Heavyweight: Odlanier Solis 2004 gold medal

Light welterweight: Andres Aldama 1976 silver medal (lost the gold to ATG "Sugar" Ray Leonard. 1980 gold (defeated John "The Beast" Mugabi.)

Lightweight: Angel Herrera 1976 (featherweight) gold medal, and 1980 (lightweight) gold medal

Bantamweight: Joel Casamayor 1992 gold medal (proven as both amateur and pro)

Flyweight: Yuriorkis Gamboa 2004 gold medal (proven as both amateur and pro)

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    Ok, bro, you posted first, so you took most of the good ones. lol But the Cubans are so deep, that I can replace that entire squad and still kick ass. Plus, I'd like to give a "shout out" to a few of the guys that time has forgotten.

Heavyweight: Odlanier Solis 2004 gold medal

Light welterweight: Andres Aldama 1976 silver medal (lost the gold to ATG "Sugar" Ray Leonard. 1980 gold (defeated John "The Beast" Mugabi.)

Lightweight: Angel Herrera 1976 (featherweight) gold medal, and 1980 (lightweight) gold medal

Bantamweight: Joel Casamayor 1992 gold medal (proven as both amateur and pro)

Flyweight: Yuriorkis Gamboa 2004 gold medal (proven as both amateur and pro)
                    Man, I think this format would be so awesome, almost like a boxing world cup, if you just imagine all the potential talent that teams would have, crazy stuff. And it's hard to predict too as some picks may not have been used to amateur rules as they are in the WSB with more rounds and no headguards. At the same time, there is so much potential to pick from because you really have to work out who would be the best selections based on their amateur careers, some pros who were standout amateurs just couldn't replicate their accomplishments...and these bouts do have similarities to pro fights so it's really difficult.

Comment

Working...
                    X