Did Lou DiBella Just Trick Us All?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Lou DiBella Just Trick Us All?

Here's a rundown of events that have taken place over the past few months:

Taylor signs up for the Super Six. He gets knocked out in brutal fashion. A lot of fans question whether or not he should stay in the competition, considering that he has lost 4 of his last 5 fights.

DiBella then states that he will no longer promote Taylor because he doesn't think he should participate in the rest of the tournament, and Taylor refuses to follow his advice on the issue. This signals to Showtime that Taylor wants to continue badly enough to break his relationship with someone who has always been close to him.

DiBella's decision (which he made sure to release in as public a way as possible) puts pressure on Showtime, because it means that people say "even the guy's promoter is refusing to have him continue any further, despite the money he'd receive, surely this proves that the TV company are immoral?" It also makes DiBella look like a real nice guy.

Faced with a boxer who claims that he wants to continue, and a set of fans who question whether or not he should be able to, Showtime, eager to protect the image of the tournament that they've worked so hard on, alledgedly offer him a pay-off to withdraw, which he accepts.

In order to sort out a replacement, Showtime have DiBella fighter Allen Green face Haymon fight Sakio Bika.

DiBella can now say that, due to Taylor following his advice and withdrawing from the Super Six, he will become his promoter again. So DiBella gets to look like a good guy. He also gets to salvage Taylor's career, because he can give him some easier fights and maybe bring him back to world level against a lesser fighter than Andre Ward (Steiglitz? Sartisson?). Of course, Taylor would've made DiBella a lot of money by continuing in the tournament, but this isn't really an issue because Taylor's likely to replacement is Allen Green, who is promoted by...Lou DiBella!

What do you think? I'm not saying that this is neccessarily what happened/will happen, but the way things unfolded does make me wonder.

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

Taylor signs up for the Super Six. He gets knocked out in brutal fashion. A lot of fans question whether or not he should stay in the competition, considering that he has lost 4 of his last 5 fights.

DiBella then states that he will no longer promote Taylor because he doesn't think he should participate in the rest of the tournament, and Taylor refuses to follow his advice on the issue. This signals to Showtime that Taylor wants to continue badly enough to break his relationship with someone who has always been close to him.

DiBella's decision (which he made sure to release in as public a way as possible) puts pressure on Showtime, because it means that people say "even the guy's promoter is refusing to have him continue any further, despite the money he'd receive, surely this proves that the TV company are immoral?" It also makes DiBella look like a real nice guy.

Faced with a boxer who claims that he wants to continue, and a set of fans who question whether or not he should be able to, Showtime, eager to protect the image of the tournament that they've worked so hard on, alledgedly offer him a pay-off to withdraw, which he accepts.

In order to sort out a replacement, Showtime have DiBella fighter Allen Green face Haymon fight Sakio Bika.

DiBella can now say that, due to Taylor following his advice and withdrawing from the Super Six, he will become his promoter again. So DiBella gets to look like a good guy. He also gets to salvage Taylor's career, because he can give him some easier fights and maybe bring him back to world level against a lesser fighter than Andre Ward (Steiglitz? Sartisson?). Of course, Taylor would've made DiBella a lot of money by continuing in the tournament, but this isn't really an issue because Taylor's likely to replacement is Allen Green, who is promoted by...Lou DiBella!

What do you think? I'm not saying that this is neccessarily what happened/will happen, but the way things unfolded does make me wonder.
    Makes since nice post man

Comment

Sounds to me like a viable scenario. Showtime was probably happy to be rid of Taylor now that he has the "damaged goods" stigma.

Comment

It was always the plan from the start, if Taylor got sparked out, Green would be the replacement. Some people didn't believe Taylor should have been in there in the first place, but they wanted to give him one more chance against Abraham.

Then he failed and then the back up comes in. Lou Dibella actually seems to care about his fighters, so he wanted Taylor to get one last chance to redeem himself. He then told him to tell him to call it quits.

Comment

Dibella is a hero.

Comment

You're looking way too deep into this. I will say I was kind of suspicious when DiBella dropped Taylor after his last fight, but only because he was abandoning his fighter when he was at his lowest point, and essentially finished as a top pro. The cynical side of me thought maybe DiBella felt like he couldn't get anymore big money out of Jermain anymore.

I don't think that's the case though. He doesn't really have a history of doing anything like that.

Comment

Sounds likely, personally i'd rather neither of them went into the Super 6.

Can Taylor make Middleweight anymore? If he can i think he should move back down, they hit too hard at 168 and i think Ward would have pulverised him too.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

I think you're on the ball, C but I doubt DiBella becomes his promoter again.

Comment

**** i rather see Allen Green in tthe super 6 anyway.. Just to see if he can make some noise and still fight!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestIAM View Post
                    **** i rather see Allen Green in tthe super 6 anyway.. Just to see if he can make some noise and still fight!
                    The thing with Green is that he is beatable, but he has a dynamite left hand and just may cause an upset or two. He also has some decent speed to deliver that power. Bika is more crude, but tough as nails.

I am glad both guys have the opportunity. They have been hanging around the fringes of the division forever now and here finally is their big opportunity to step up. Lets see where it takes them.

Comment

Working...
                    X