Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are footballers more athletic than NFL players?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Banderivets View Post
    You're not doing yourself any favors, present an argument.

go back through the thread to see the logical arguments being made or implied. it's silly for him to say that sprinting and leaping numbers at a combine have nothing to go with athleticism, or performance on an NFL field. all of the skill positions on the field will at some point involve sprinting, and many will also involve leaping. the combine measures strength, and overall agility. combine numbers are a good measurement of overall athletic ability, and certain combine numbers are relevant to each of the positions on the football field.

the only argument i need is an argument based on the ethos, or character. squeelpig knows nothing about football. you don't even watch football. i really don't need to go any further that that, do i?

Comment

You are yet to argue **** in here, not getting much from your one sentence replies.

you'd prefer that i break posts into minutia without addressing the important aspects of the argument, per boxingscene customs?

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        go back through the thread to see the logical arguments being made or implied. it's silly for him to say that sprinting and leaping numbers at a combine have nothing to go with athleticism, or performance on an NFL field. all of the skill positions on the field will at some point involve sprinting, and many will also involve leaping. the combine measures strength, and overall agility. combine numbers are a good measurement of overall athletic ability, and certain combine numbers are relevant to each of the positions on the football field.
        I have read yours and have presented my'n many of which have been ignored by the NFL side for whatever reason.

There is sprinting and leaping in just about any sport, I don't believe anyone saying that is irrelevant. What has been said is that just because other sports do not have a combine that you can watch on Soccer TV/Cricket TV/ whatever TV combine figures should not be brought into the conversation.

The general beef with this thread is that pretty much all outside of NFL have been written off as inferior. And no one has yet presented a solid argument as to why other than we have combine numbers. Well no one else does.

We have established that one's physical build has nothing to do with it.
        Nor does height.
        So what is it than?

Originally posted by New England View Post
        you don't even watch football. i really don't need to go any further that that, do i?
        Whatever man, I watch all NA sports, saw the Bills play live in Toronto, I go to a few Raptors games a year and I admit I only ever went to one Blue Jays game and I barely remember it because it was a great time to drink those incredibly overpriced beers. Just because I don't sit through a whole NFL game on Sunday doesn't mean that I do not like football or that I know nothing about it.

Comment

I have read yours and have presented my'n many of which have been ignored by the NFL side for whatever reason.

There is sprinting and leaping in just about any sport, I don't believe anyone saying that is irrelevant. What has been said is that just because other sports do not have a combine that you can watch on Soccer TV/Cricket TV/ whatever TV combine figures should not be brought into the conversation.

The general beef with this thread is that pretty much all outside of NFL have been written off as inferior. And no one has yet presented a solid argument as to why other than we have combine numbers. Well no one else does.

We have established that one's physical build has nothing to do with it.
          Nor does height.
          So what is it than?

Whatever man, I watch all NA sports, saw the Bills play live in Toronto, I go to a few Raptors games a year and I admit I only ever went to one Blue Jays game and I barely remember it because it was a great time to drink those incredibly overpriced beers. Just because I don't sit through a whole NFL game on Sunday doesn't mean that I do not like football or that I know nothing about it.

actually, it kind of does. it's definitely a reason not to consider you credible.

Comment

actually, it kind of does. it's definitely a reason not to consider you credible.
            haha that's great man, very solid argument.

This went from a dick measuring contest of combine stats to who sits through the most games on the TV.

I'm gonna go watch me some MotoGP so I can become more credible on the subject of motorcycle racing.

So you haven't answered **** still. But its all good man...I'll skip my saturday league today and watch some NBA TV instead so I can learn more about basketball.
            Last edited by Banderivets; 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

haha that's great man, very solid argument.

This went from a dick measuring contest of combine stats to who sits through the most games on the TV.

I'm gonna go watch me some MotoGP so I can become more credible on the subject of motorcycle racing.

So you haven't answered **** still. But its all good man...I'll skip my saturday league today and watch some NBA TV instead so I can learn more about basketball.

it is a very solid argument. you have no expertise, therefore you are not credible.

i'm not sure how much you know about argument, frankly. do you know what ethos means?

Comment

Then Danny Mills scored over 300 career goals during training which makes him an all time great footballer. YOU CAN'T SAY THAT SCORING GOALS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SOCCER!

the only argument i need is an argument based on the ethos, or character. squeelpig knows nothing about football. you don't even watch football. i really don't need to go any further that that, do i?
                I tried to watch it but it's dull and pretentious and marred by stupid assertions about the inside leg measurements of their fanny-ends and tight-chuffs.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                    I think of it like this.

Could Messi last a quarter running the ball against a healthy front 7 in the NFL?

Could Haloti Ngata last 45 minutes on the pitch against a team that doesn't park the bus?

I will say that if Megatron (look it up, limey green teefs) had a start playing footie at an early age, he'd be world class.

I could start throwing up combine stats, but I'd soon as cut myself.

Big. Fast. Strong. And can jump out of an arena.
                    I can tell you right now that there is no guarantee that if Megatron were to play football (soccer) at a young age, he would be world class. For one the coaching system in America isn't good enough but ignoring that, there are plenty of incredible athletes that are merely 'good' football players that never develop the technical skills to be great at football.

Ryan Babel was an incredible athlete at Ajax, very early bloomer stood out at his age group 'next big thing' sort of guy and he fizzled out when his athleticism couldn't carry him to the next level and his technical ability lacked. Aaron Lennon is similar very, very quick can run all day no technically good enough.

Megatron is also 6 ft 5 world class traditional target men are few and far between in football nowadays. They tend to lack close control, there are a few left like Ibrahimovic but Ibra is still a very talented with a ball at his feet not just in the air. He could play CD but again, playing in that position is all about positional awareness and reading of the game you can be as quick as you want or jump at high as you want but doesn't matter when you can't read passes and movement coming through or playing an offside trap/ tracking runs in behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X