Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyson - Last Great Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing skills aside a fighter who captures the publics interest becomes an "item"!

Dempsey was the first highly popularized athlete in the world (world being N. & S. America and Europe) back in those days.
    Louis because he was the "next" black champ and the fight of that century against Max!
    Marciano with his pressure action style then Ali with his "mouth"! hahahaha!!!

Tyson with the ferosity of Dempsey and Marciano except a much more "vocal" and animated person. Out of control became the "item" for coverage.

Days gone by were a little more positive than Tyson's reign but thats were society has gone, out the window and into the ****ter!

Evander & Lennox were very good but publicity wise bores. Wlad even worse!

Mayweather embrassed being the "heel" instead of a class guy and thats it. The guys under the heavy division just can't carry the big lift publicity wise, tough to compete with the big boys.

Ray

Comment

In terms of superstardom then yeah tyson was the last great heavy,,, even though holyfield was also a huge star, most of his superstardom was based on his rivalry with tyson...

And tyson at his peak was one of the greatest fighters ever.., 1985-88 mike was a true monster and a legit atg

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        In terms of superstardom then yeah tyson was the last great heavy,,, even though holyfield was also a huge star, most of his superstardom was based on his rivalry with tyson...

And tyson at his peak was one of the greatest fighters ever.., 1985-88 mike was a true monster and a legit atg
        I guess the concern I have when I classify Mike as an ATG is the brevity of his peak years and the quality of his opposition during that peak.

Comment

Originally posted by embryo View Post
          Just saying, I'm not a Tyson worshiper. I think he was amazing, obviously, because he was. But let's be honest, all you Tyson haters and you Tyson lovers and everyone in between.

Who is the last heavyweight that you and everyone at school or work were talking about full of excitement saying "we gotta get together this weekend and watch the (name fighter) fight, let's all throw in a few bucks, we can't miss it!"

Honestly, Tyson was the last guy. Lewis, Holyfield, Wlad, Vitali, all great, great fighters. But nobody came close to the electricity and mania that Tyson created, even at the end of his career. Am I wrong? Who was the last "Great" heavyweight who created this atmosphere in boxing, in SPORTS in general, that generated so much attention to the sport of boxing? Is it Tyson?
          If you measure great heavyweights to that standard, then there's only been a handful of them in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            If you measure great heavyweights to that standard, then there's only been a handful of them in boxing history.
            I'm not saying I agree with the earlier poster's point - but shouldn't any query about "Who are the greatest fighters of them all?" lead to a similarly short list?

I know I grow weary of that very same question perpetually yielding a list of 100 fighters or more.

I mean, doesn't the word "great" imply highly exclusive selection criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
              I'm not saying I agree with the earlier poster's point - but shouldn't any query about "Who are the greatest fighters of them all?" lead to a similarly short list?

I know I grow weary of that very same question perpetually yielding a list of 100 fighters or more.

I mean, doesn't the word "great" imply highly exclusive selection criteria?
              That is a perplexing problem. This very issue makes me not want to create lists! I have toyed with the idea of having lists like a "list of ten fighters considered the 5 best ever" haha. But seriously there are always caveats when one deconstructs various fighters and their competition. This is with the exception of some very elite fighters like Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                That is a perplexing problem. This very issue makes me not want to create lists! I have toyed with the idea of having lists like a "list of ten fighters considered the 5 best ever" haha. But seriously there are always caveats when one deconstructs various fighters and their competition. This is with the exception of some very elite fighters like Robinson.
                I pretty much agree. I've given up creating fixed lists because they very often become "unfixed" after a night's sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  I'm with you on that. That's why if I make a list, it's a list of personal favorites, so you don't end up having to revise as often or get as many arguments. Best resumes is kind of fun to do though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                    This question is a little more complicated, IMO. I mean, if we are talking purely in terms of talent, ability etc. I'd say no. Lewis and Holyfield were both better.

But I do think he might well be the last great heavyweight from the perspective of a cultural phenomenon.

Personally I think far too many people conflate the two and this is why so many around here rank Tyson way above the level his ability and results dictate.
                    Are you serious here?.... Lewis better than Tyson?

You must be Canadian are you ?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Are you serious here?.... Lewis better than Tyson?
                      See what I mean?

Comment

Working...
                      X