Grade a Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade a Fighter

Criteria for grading a fighter:

- Name the fighter and record as well as his weight class/division.

- State their notable wins/losses and give a brief explanation behind the grade given.

- Active fighters only.

- No prospects. Fighters must be ranked(any sanctioning body), titleholders(any), ex champions or contenders.

Grade A(+,-) Fighter(s) - A fighter(s) whom excels in every aspect of the sport. They don't only have the athleticism but the skill and technique to overcome most challenges at hand.

Grade B(+,-) Fighter(s) - A fighter(s) who excels in many aspects of the sport but has one significant flaw that continues to hold him back from reaching the highest echelon of the sport.

Grade C(+,-) - A fighter(s) who has an average skill set but overachieves with what he is handed.

Grade D(+,-) - A fighter(s) who possesses a mediocre skill set and serves as a significant test to gauge up and coming talent but not good enough to fight at a world class level.

Minimum Weight Divsion - 105 lbs -

Light Flyweight Division - 108 lbs - Donnie Nietes(A), Pedro Guevara(B), Juan Francisco Rodriguez Jr.(B)

Flyweight Division - 112 lbs - Roman Gonzalez(A), Juan Francisco Estrada(A), Juan Carlos Reveco(A-), John Riel Casimero(B), Brian Viloria(B-), Giovani Segura(B-), Zou Shiming(B-)

Super Flyweight Division 115 lbs - Naoya Inoue(A), Carlos Cuadras(B), David Sanchez(B), Omar Narvaez(B), McJoe Arroyo(B)

Bantamweight Division 118 lbs - Shinsuke Yamanaka(A), Tomoki Kameda(A-), Kiko Martinez(B-)

Super Bantamweight Division 122 lbs - Guillermo Rigondeaux(A), Carl Frampton(A), Leo Santa Cruz(A-), Nonito Donaire(B+), Rey Vargas(B), Scott Quigg(B-),

Featherweight Division 126 lbs - Abner Mares(B+), Gary Russel Jr(B+)Marvin Sonsona(B+),Evgeny Gradovich(B), Jayson Velez(B), Simpiwe Vetyeka(B-), Jesus Cuellar(B-), Robinson Castellanos(B-), Lee Selby(C+)

Super Featherweight Division 130 lbs - Takashi Uchiyama(A), Bryan Vasquez(A), Takashi Miura(B), Adrian Estrella(B), Rances Barthelemy(B), Francisco Vargas(B), Jose Pedraza(B), Javier Fortuna(B), Orlando Salido(B-)*

Lightweight Division 135 lbs - Jorge Linares(B+), Yuriorkis Gamboa(B+), Richar Abril(B), Miguel Vasquez(B), Mickey Bey(B-)

Super Lightweight Division 140 lbs - Terrence Crawford(A), Danny Garcia(A), Lucas Matthysse(B), Viktor Postol(B), Adrien Broner(B), Chris Algeiri(B), Mauricio Herrera(B), Omar Figueroa(B-), Jesse Vargas(B-), Humberto Soto(B-)

Welterweight Division 147 lbs - Manny Pacquiao(A+), Floyd Mayweather Jr.(A+), Juan Manuel Marquez(A-), Timothy Bradley(A-), Kell Brook(B+), Amir Khan(B+), Shawn Porter(B) Robert Guerrero(B), Rene Marcos Maidana(B), Devon Alexander(B), Sadam Ali(B-), Diego Chaves(C+)**, Leonard Bundu(C+)

Super Welterweight Division 154 lbs - Saul Alvarez(B+), Erislandy Lara(B), Demetrius Andrade(B), Jermell Charlo(B)

Middleweight Division 160 lbs - Genaddy Golovkin(A-), Miguel Cotto(B+), Peter Quillin(B), Andy Lee(B), Martin Murray(B), David Lemieux(B)

Super Middleweight Division 168 lbs - Andre Ward(A), Carl Froch(A-), James DeGale(B), Andre Dirrel(B), Anthony Dirrel(B), JCC Jr.(B-)

Light Heavyweight Division 175 - Sergey Kovalev(A), Egor Mekhontsev(A), Bernard Hopkins(A), Artur Beterbiev(A-), Oleksandr Gvozdyk(A-), Juergen Braehmer(B), Jean Pascal(B), Isaac Chilemba(B-), Eleider Alvarez(B-), Andrzej Fonfara(B-)

Cruiser Weight Division 200 lbs -

Heavy Weight Division 200+ lbs - Wladimir Klitschko(A+)*, Tyson Fury(B), Deontay Wilder(B),

FIGHTERS WITH UNDETERMINED GRADES:

Jhonny Gonzalez Mentioned for A and B grades.
    Nicholas Walters Mentioned for A and B(+) grades.
    Adonis Stevenson Mentioned for A and B grades.
    Vasyl Lomachenko Mentioned for A(+) and B grades.
    Keith Thurman Mentioned for A and B grades.
    Brandon Rios Mentioned for C and B grades.

THE NAMES IN BOLD ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE MORE SO THAN OTHERS. FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS AND POST YOUR AGREEMENT/DISAGREEMENT WITH ANY GRADED FIGHTER

Note: Fighters can move up or down in grade after a major fight depending on the outcome of the fight.

* - Signifies a fighter moved up in grade.

** - Signifies a fighter moved down in grade.
    Last edited by Aztekkas; 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM.

Orlando Salido @ Featherweight/Super Featherweight

W: 42 L: 12 D: 2

Significant wins over JuanMa Lopez x2, Vasyl Lomachenko and a gritty gatekeeper in Cristobal Cruz.

Significant Losses: Yuriorkis Gamboa, JMM and Mikey Garcia.

Upcoming fight: Roman Martinez

Orlando Salido is an all out offensive fighter who tends to rely on his grit and toughness to overcome challenges, more so then his limited boxing abilities. Although he possesses a strong overhand right and an impressive inside game, his heart is one of his most glaring qualities as a fighter.

Although he has 12 losses on his record, Salido has become one of the sports most exciting fighters. Although his greatest win over Lomachenko is tainted with Lowblows and dirty "tactics", he has constantly overachieved in his career to the point of capturing world titles.

He did endure a failed drug test resulting in him being stripped of his title and a change in his record against Robert Guerrero. However, he remained "innocent" after a follow up drug test resulting negative of any steroids.

Final Grade: C+

For overachieving with what little he was handed and becoming world champion despite his atrocious beginning in the sport. IMO this man is the epitome of a C+ level fighter.
    Last edited by Aztekkas; 02-20-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

this might be a horrid idea but I'll keep at it . Again, feel free to disagree with any posts and make sure you state your own opinion.

Abner Mares W:28(15) L:1(1) D:1

Wins: Vic Darchinyan, Agbeko x2, Anselmo Moreno, Daniel Ponce de Leon.

Losses: Johnny Gonzalez and a draw with Yohnny Perez.

Upcoming fight: Arturo Santos Reyes

Mares is an all around solid fighter that has a variety of tricks up his sleeve. Although he isn't the same boxer that he once was earlier on in his career he grew into a solid boxer puncher that can brawl it out when it's needed. He had a tough schedule leading up until the Oquendo fight and since has(will) taken on some soft touches.

He captured three world titles in three weight divisions in less then three years and was once positioned among the top 10 PFP fighters in the world. Leading into his Gonzalez fight Mares was riding high after capturing the WBC FW title from PDL via KO. Mares was floored twice in the first round and ultimately stopped by a surprising veteran underdog in Gonzalez. That lone loss seems to have shaken up Mares and is currently attempting to return to his former self, although fighting the likes of Ramirez and Santos won't do much but pad his record at this point.

Mares has always played an underdog role and has surpassed the expectation of many boxing fans. He might not be the hardest puncher but he hits hard enough. He might not be the quickest but he's fast enough. Essentially, he's the Jack of all trades and master of none.

Final grade: B+

Extremely well rounded fighter but leaves alot to be desired for in the defense department. I believe if he would have held onto Johnny instead of attempting to outgun the vet, he might have survived the round and could have possibly gotten the victory in the long run. Regardless, Mares has done well for himself and has many good fights awaiting him in the horizon.

Comment

Are those grade definitions of your own making?

Comment

Originally posted by Townes View Post
          Are those grade definitions of your own making?
          Yeah but feel free to grade a fighter with whatever gauging method you prefer, as long as you post a reason behind it and the final grade itself, of course.

My definition/criteria is more or less a guideline in case anyone is having difficulty coming up with their own criteria, etc... Feel free to disregard it if you'd rather follow your own.

Comment

based off of how much of an overachiever siri is, no less than a B- and if not for one round, mares is still an A fighter ... i hope he takes that rematch with jhonny as i know he can beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
              based off of how much of an overachiever siri is, no less than a B- and if not for one round, mares is still an A fighter ... i hope he takes that rematch with jhonny as i know he can beat him.
              I was thinking about bumping Siri to a B- myself but I seriously don't know. He's tough as nails and gives everyone a tough run for their money in there, regardless of his technical limitations. I suppose the fact that he loses most of his bigger fights is one of the primary reason I didn't bump him up. Plus, most fighters I consider "B"'s are alot more refined and technically sound than Salido himself.

Mares on the other hand doesn't have any factor that makes him stand out.

He has a solid chin, good power, good combination punching, solid boxing/countering, can use his legs but I honestly think he doesn't have the skill set that an "A" fighter would have. I think the highest graded fighters are those whom stand out or have a quality/qualities that coupled make them extremely difficult fighters to defeat. I really think the saying, "Jack of all trades and master of none" really describes Mares as a fighter. Anyway I agree, I think Mares takes Jhonny in the rematch

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                I was thinking about bumping Siri to a B- myself but I seriously don't know. He's tough as nails and gives everyone a tough run for their money in there, regardless of his technical limitations. I suppose the fact that he loses most of his bigger fights is one of the primary reason I didn't bump him up. Plus, most fighters I consider "B"'s are alot more refined and technically sound than Salido himself.

Mares on the other hand doesn't have any factor that makes him stand out.

He has a solid chin, good power, good combination punching, solid boxing/countering, can use his legs but I honestly think he doesn't have the skill set that an "A" fighter would have. I think the highest graded fighters are those whom stand out or have a quality/qualities that coupled make them extremely difficult fighters to defeat. I really think the saying, "Jack of all trades and master of none" really describes Mares as a fighter. Anyway I agree, I think Mares takes Jhonny in the rematch
                agreed on mares. the kid can be a fluid boxer, can bang and still be elusive but what makes him elite for me are two simple things, this kid has been taking on EVERYBODY for years, he went on an impressive tear years ago and pulled out W's in all of them ... and then that culero jhonny happened. secondly, he has the grit and will of two men.

i was so unbelievably pissed by that loss and then my pissed-offedness was exacerbated when i logged on here to find the plethora of boxing experts in NSB proclaim "i told you mares was always over-hyped" but that's to be expected ... but damn, it's like the worst thing to happen ... getting caught cold in the first round.
                Last edited by baya; 02-20-2015, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I will do the top 15 welterweights.

1. Pac = A+, no explanation needed.

2. Floyd = A+, again no explanation needed.

3. Thurman = A-, a lot of people will disagree with this one and I don't blame them, he hasn't achieved enough so far to get that high a grade, but I'm going by the eye test. Skillwise I think he's elite, he still needs to prove he's got heart and the right mentality/attitude against top opposition and I think he will, starting against Guerrero in a couple of weeks.

4. Bradley = A-, I feel he's gone from being overrated to underrated. He's got a solid resume, good skill and the heart of a lion. Some of the guys I will rank below him would beat him imo (Khan and maybe Brook), but I feel he's a more complete fighter overall.

5. Brook = B+, he's got very good fundamentals and gives anyone at 147 a tough fight imo. Solid boxer, but lacks an inside game and is a bit limited for me to grade him any higher.

6. Khan = B+, I think he would beat a few of the guys I've ranked above him, but would maybe lose to some less skilled, lower ranked guys. His chin will always have you on the edge of your seat, but he makes up for it with skill and heart.

7. Porter = B, I think he's better than he showed against Brook. He was too wild and didn't show us the boxing ability I know he has. The guy's a tank and not an easy fight for anyone.

8. Marquez = A-, skillwise he's of course elite, but as a welterweight, his size and age stop me from ranking him higher.

9. Guerrero = B, solid all-round fighter. He's got an inside game which can't be said about many top guys at 147, he can also box. He's versatile and tough as nails.

10. Maidana = B, strong and dangerous fighter. I feel he gives most guys in the top 10 a tough fight, but is too limited to beat the best I think.

11. Alexander = B, skillful guy but he can be outworked and outboxed as we've seen. He fights anyone anywhere and you have to respect that.

12. Chaves = B-, solid, skillful fighter, I feel he gives most guys in the top 10 a good fight, but again not quite good enough to beat the best.

13. Sadam Ali = B-, haven't seen enough of him to grade any higher, skillwise he looks quality, but he's shown signs of a weak chin.

14. Bundu = C+, underrated imo. A lot of people don't (or didn't) know about him coming into the Thurman fight, but he has a strong amateur background and showed he's a tricky and tough customer.

15. Rios = C, strong as hell on the inside, but if you give him a bit of movement, you'll beat him. The definition of a C level fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth. View Post
                    I will do the top 15 welterweights.

1. Pac = A+, no explanation needed.

2. Floyd = A+, again no explanation needed.

3. Thurman = A-, a lot of people will disagree with this one and I don't blame them, he hasn't achieved enough so far to get that high a grade, but I'm going by the eye test. Skillwise I think he's elite, he still needs to prove he's got heart and the right mentality/attitude against top opposition and I think he will, starting against Guerrero in a couple of weeks.

4. Bradley = A-, I feel he's gone from being overrated to underrated. He's got a solid resume, good skill and the heart of a lion. Some of the guys I will rank below him would beat him imo (Khan and maybe Brook), but I feel he's a more complete fighter overall.

5. Brook = B+, he's got very good fundamentals and gives anyone at 147 a tough fight imo. Solid boxer, but lacks an inside game and is a bit limited for me to grade him any higher.

6. Khan = B+, I think he would beat a few of the guys I've ranked above him, but would maybe lose to some less skilled, lower ranked guys. His chin will always have you on the edge of your seat, but he makes up for it with skill and heart.

7. Porter = B, I think he's better than he showed against Brook. He was too wild and didn't show us the boxing ability I know he has. The guy's a tank and not an easy fight for anyone.

8. Marquez = A-, skillwise he's of course elite, but as a welterweight, his size and age stop me from ranking him higher.

9. Guerrero = B, solid all-round fighter. He's got an inside game which can't be said about many top guys at 147, he can also box. He's versatile and tough as nails.

10. Maidana = B, strong and dangerous fighter. I feel he gives most guys in the top 10 a tough fight, but is too limited to beat the best I think.

11. Alexander = B, skillful guy but he can be outworked and outboxed as we've seen. He fights anyone anywhere and you have to respect that.

12. Chaves = B-, solid, skillful fighter, I feel he gives most guys in the top 10 a good fight, but again not quite good enough to beat the best.

13. Sadam Ali = B-, haven't seen enough of him to grade any higher, skillwise he looks quality, but he's shown signs of a weak chin.

14. Bundu = C+, underrated imo. A lot of people don't (or didn't) know about him coming into the Thurman fight, but he has a strong amateur background and showed he's a tricky and tough customer.

15. Rios = C, strong as hell on the inside, but if you give him a bit of movement, you'll beat him. The definition of a C level fighter.
                    Excellent post and contribution. Original post has been edited and the names have been added. Thanks mate

Comment

Working...
                    X