No announcement yet.

Basic Defence In Sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Defence In Sparring

New to boxing only been doing it about 3 months, recently started sparring only sparred about 3/4 times. I've already noticed some flaws in my sparring and am struggling with getting a solid defence. these are some things that ive noticed.
    (The guys im sparring are quite a bit more experienced than me and have done it for a few years, so don't feel I can pull off or try any new stuff without getting caught easily!)

1) Once I start getting hit with a combo I start to turn away from my opponent and sort of raise my shoulder to block my face (I know this is really bad and my coach pointed it out straight away) however I keep doing it and find it hard to keep facing my opponent once the shots start landing.

2) I don't feel confident enough to parry or slip punches yet so im usually just using my guard to block all the punches.

3) Even when im guarding punches still seem to get through.

4) seem to get caught with flurry's of punches and struggle to get out of intensive situations (due to point 1)

You guys any tips for simple defence when sparring and how to block/dodge flurry's of punches - i.e things to remember, techniques and anything else that might help me out. We've been taught the outside & inside slip, parry etc but seems to go to **** when I get in the ring!

Cheers!
    Tom

Do light sparring and practice your parrys blocks slips

Comment

Your sparring after only 3 months in the gym? You must learn quickly and your trainer must see something very promising in you. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray

We're currently only throwing straight shots, anyone know of some decent drills I can do in my own time with a friend to try and improve it?

Comment

You could block hand to hand drills left to left/right to right)! You can slip left/right and straight drop (bend your kness dropping downwards). When working defense you should also consider counter punches and counter moves! To only work defense without returns is not a good way to develop your Method of boxing! Ray.

Comment

thanks for the advice, ill crack on practicing these.

Comment

It's good to have several options for defense. Not only your guard but also parries and head movement.

I would practice each of these against the basic punches with a partner outside of sparring to get you used to them without pressure.

Comment

Learn how to pivot to the outside of their punches and change angles. This is especially good for opponents that like to come forward a lot.

Say if your opponent throws a cross (straight) then assuming you're both orthodox, drop your knees to duck the punch and pivot your lead foot anti-clockwise then swing your back foot in the same direction.

You'll end up on the outside of his cross where you can a good angle to throw the cross yourself.

The same method can be applied for hooks and overhands. If your opponent has committed to the punch, he'll fall-in and be off-balance.

Just remember to pivot to the outside of the punch.

Comment

Originally posted by tomuk View Post
                  New to boxing only been doing it about 3 months, recently started sparring only sparred about 3/4 times. I've already noticed some flaws in my sparring and am struggling with getting a solid defence. these are some things that ive noticed.
                  (The guys im sparring are quite a bit more experienced than me and have done it for a few years, so don't feel I can pull off or try any new stuff without getting caught easily!)

1) Once I start getting hit with a combo I start to turn away from my opponent and sort of raise my shoulder to block my face (I know this is really bad and my coach pointed it out straight away) however I keep doing it and find it hard to keep facing my opponent once the shots start landing.

2) I don't feel confident enough to parry or slip punches yet so im usually just using my guard to block all the punches.

3) Even when im guarding punches still seem to get through.

4) seem to get caught with flurry's of punches and struggle to get out of intensive situations (due to point 1)

You guys any tips for simple defence when sparring and how to block/dodge flurry's of punches - i.e things to remember, techniques and anything else that might help me out. We've been taught the outside & inside slip, parry etc but seems to go to **** when I get in the ring!

Cheers!
                  Tom
                  1) this is common, don't feel bad. The natural instincts of people is to turn away from the danger. In time you will gain more confidence and understand how to keep your eye on your opponent.

2) This also takes time and what you need to do is work on defending the jab first and foremost. Try and time the jab with your parry's and slips and work off of that. Do things one step at a time.

3) Most likely because your closing your eyes or aren't moving. Remember, your feet are your best defense, don't just stand there with your hands up, keep your hands up and MOVE.

4) Again, it's like doing something for the first time. It takes time to get adjusted to things and see the punches coming. When you first spar, things are going a million miles per hour, in time things will slow down.

Try light, technical sparring and drills. Over and over and over and in time you will get used to it and be able to implement your techniques.

Comment

Thanks again for your replys! really helpful

Cheers!
                    Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X