No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Cotto-Clottey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rewatched Cotto-Clottey

I decided to watch some earlier Cotto fights cause he's been growing on me lately and wanted to analyze his skillz but just as I finished watching this fight I remembered why I don't really like him.

He looked TERRIBLE in this fight. Don't let HBO's ballgargling fool you, people, Cotto looked like balls. He basically flurried and backpeddled the entire fight but showed glimpses of vintage Cotto when he would occasionally land some hard left hooks to the body and head. Clottey did everything right except he didn't throw enough. Had he thrown about 30 more punches in every round, he would have a TKO victory over Cotto right now. Sure, the bad cut Cotto suffered helped Clottey but it was clearly accidental and not caused on purpose like Cottosexuals would have you believe. Looking back, it's now easy to see why Pacquiao fought him right after this fight. And I'm a dumbass for not betting money on Pac to win.

Clottey's lack of volume and Cotto's flurries won the fight for Cotto. Still looked like crap, and Emanuel Steward agreed. :down:

Thoughts on Sugar Ray Leonard- Hagler?

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Thoughts on Sugar Ray Leonard- Hagler?
      I expected this.

Comment

Cotto > Your Life

Comment

I agree as well. I think there were a lot of reasons for this, the main one being that he had no real trainer. But that giant gash over his eye certainly wasn't helping him either, and from things I've heard, I think this was a point in Cotto's career where he wasn't "enjoying boxing anymore".

Either way, Cotto got very very lucky to get the win. As I was watching the fight, I thought he lost but after I rewatched and scored it, I had Cotto up by a point due to the knockdown and Clottey's inactivity in the later rounds.

Comment

He didn't look good in that fight. But the cut over his eye was a significant factor in that fight. Its been a while since I've watched the fight but I remember it being a bad cut early on, and thinking they would stop the fight because of it.

Comment

You can cleary see that the cut was a big factor. B4 the cut he was owning Clottey.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                I agree as well. I think there were a lot of reasons for this, the main one being that he had no real trainer. But that giant gash over his eye certainly wasn't helping him either, and from things I've heard, I think this was a point in Cotto's career where he wasn't "enjoying boxing anymore".

Either way, Cotto got very very lucky to get the win. As I was watching the fight, I thought he lost but after I rewatched and scored it, I had Cotto up by a point due to the knockdown and Clottey's inactivity in the later rounds.
                Oh yea, that's right. I was going to bring that up, too.

That trainer was utter trash. All he ever said was "duro Juni, DURO" (Go hard, Juni, go hard.)

Any one of us could've trained Cotto that night.

Comment

Originally posted by chico 305 View Post
                  Cotto > Your Life
                  Cool.
                  Originally posted by borikua View Post
                  You can cleary see that the cut was a big factor. B4 the cut he was owning Clottey.
                  This is a myth. Minus the fluke of the knockdown, Clottey held his own.

I'll give Cotto this, though. He's a G to finish the fight with that cut. It was a terrible gash.

Comment

If Clottey's corner reminded him that its ok to throw punches in the last round, he would have won that fight

Comment

Working...
                    X