Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The change in Victor Ortiz reminds me of...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He'll have fans with that style. Mexicans love him, I liked him at one time but its kind of boring and safety first. I just hope he doesn't get super cautious like that against fighters who can't punch like Paulie.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
      Ortiz is the same fighter he's always been, just with a lot more foot movement, a bit more jabbing, and he now remembers to stick to the gameplan.

He's always been very, very patient just look at some of his fights before Maidana. Just look at the punch stats even in the Maidana fight. Campbell almost drew him into a war and he looked like the Ortiz inthe Maidana fight again, but he stuck to his gameplan.
      i agree. he was always a patient fighter. only time he really lost his patience (outside of his DQ) was vs maidana cuz he was drunk with his own power and got suckered into a war that shouldnt have happened.
      but even before the maidana fight, he was more patient in a different way. he was still more of a patient stalker with economical, accurate power punches. he's making a more conscious effort to be patient from the outside, which allows him to control the tempo and engage when he wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierWarrior View Post
        He'll have fans with that style. Mexicans love him, I liked him at one time but its kind of boring and safety first. I just hope he doesn't get super cautious like that against fighters who can't punch like Paulie.
        no kidding, i dont think he's sacrificing much power for boxing. he still hits hard so his style will produce KDs and KOs.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggy View Post
          i agree. he was always a patient fighter. only time he really lost his patience (outside of his DQ) was vs maidana cuz he was drunk with his own power and got suckered into a war that shouldnt have happened.
          but even before the maidana fight, he was more patient in a different way. he was still more of a patient stalker with economical, accurate power punches. he's making a more conscious effort to be patient from the outside, which allows him to control the tempo and engage when he wants to.
          Yeah, I was watching his fight against E. Clottey and, to me, it basically enhanced the fact that he's extremely patient. Against opponents with that Clottey style, you see fighters putting up career highs. Ortiz put up around 40 puncher per.

They put up a CompuBox analysis of Ortiz before the fight and it showed that he only averaged 39(?) punches per even in the Maidana fight.

The kid has almost all the tools, but even though he won every round, he showed a glimpse of his weak mental makeup. A couple of times in the mid-late rounds when Campbell started landing his right hand, I saw an uncomfortable look on his face. It looked like he could crumble at any second.

Comment

Working...
          X