No announcement yet.

Looking at Sergio Martinez' resume - not that impressive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
    Margarito was green too, I don't know why you people think Margs was all pro at that time.
    He turned pro at a young age and had tons of experience and was in a lot of camps as a sparring partner..
    Just look at the years after it.. Margs went right into title fights and fighting top fringe contenders and had success, while serg still was in the shadows..

Plus margs style and the traits he uses to win like chin, pressure, stamina, are things you either have or don't.. Serg uses a lot more technique in his attack with his movement and timing... It took him awhile to hone it, while margs has had his granite chin and physicality since he turned pro...

But yeah I see your point,, it wasn't the margs that beat cintron or cotto.. And I'm not trying to take away anything from margs win over serg.. They were both on the rise but margs proved to be more ready for the next level at that time

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
      Yeah, loss to B-Hop and extended alcoholism/drugs?
      So a loss to Bhop at @170 and alcoholism (a problem he's had for a while) equates to him being washed up? Did you even see the Pavlik vs Martinez fight? Judging from your response it doesn't seem so because otherwise you wouldn't be saying Pavlik was washed up.

Like I said in my previous post, Pavlik was more than game in that fight. If it wasn't for that terrible cut he suffered he most likely would have won that fight. He was in control and had put Sergio on his ass. You're delusional if you think Pavlik was washed up when he fought Sergio.

Pavlik is Sergio's second best W on his resume, right below his 2nd round KO of Paul Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by badass316 View Post
        So a loss to Bhop at @170 and alcoholism (a problem he's had for a while) equates to him being washed up? Did you even see the Pavlik vs Martinez fight? Judging from your response it doesn't seem so because otherwise you wouldn't be saying Pavlik was washed up.

Like I said in my previous post, Pavlik was more than game in that fight. If it wasn't for that terrible cut he suffered he most likely would have won that fight. He was in control and had put Sergio on his ass. You're delusional if you think Pavlik was washed up when he fought Sergio.

Pavlik is Sergio's second best W on his resume, right below his 2nd round KO of Paul Williams.
        Woah, I didn't mean to offend you man. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
          Woah, I didn't mean to offend you man. Sorry.
          I'm not offended. I just scoffed at the fact that you thought Pavlik was washed up when trying to nitpick Sergio's resume. Aside from that, carry on.

Comment

I do think Pavlik had already become an alcoholic by the time that fight happened. Apparently his alcoholism and health went out of control after that nasty staph infection around the Hopkins fight (before? after?).
            However taking that win out of Martinez's resume for that reason is really reaching.

Comment

Eh, Martinez's resume is fine. Martinez has proven time and time again that he is the top 160 lb fighter in the world.

Comment

He has a good record in the last 5 years but as middleweight champion he has not really fought the best. Williams was a good welterweight but he did next to nothing at middleweight. Chavez was a good win but he never fought guys like Pirog, GGG, Geale, Quillin and Strum. For as long as he has been middleweight champion he has seldom fought the best and Cotto has lost two of his last three fights at 154 so he hardly qualifies as anything but another less than the best fight for Martinez. GGG has been the number 1 challenger for over two years and Martinez refuses to fight him so I consider GGG the real champion. Martinez will most likely beat Cotto and then fight another average middleweight instead of GGG.

Comment

I remember my first beer

Comment

[QUOTE=ColdBlooded;14594290]Eh, Martinez's resume is fine. Martinez has proven time and time again that he is the top 160 lb fighter in the world.[/QUOTE To prove he is the top 160 pound fighter in the world time and time again he has to fight the other top 160 pound fighters in the world and in the years he has been champion he has only fought a couple of good middleweights and avoided most of them. When and if he fights his long time number 1 challenger GGG and beats him he will have proven he is the best 160 pound fighter in the world. The problem is he avoids GGG as if GGG had the plague. Macklin went 11 rounds with Martinez and knocked him down. GGG crushed Macklin in three rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                      He has a good record in the last 5 years but as middleweight champion he has not really fought the best. Williams was a good welterweight but he did next to nothing at middleweight. Chavez was a good win but he never fought guys like Pirog, GGG, Geale, Quillin and Strum. For as long as he has been middleweight champion he has seldom fought the best and Cotto has lost two of his last three fights at 154 so he hardly qualifies as anything but another less than the best fight for Martinez. GGG has been the number 1 challenger for over two years and Martinez refuses to fight him so I consider GGG the real champion. Martinez will most likely beat Cotto and then fight another average middleweight instead of GGG.
                      Wrong. Nobody considered him the number one challenger until he beat Macklin and there is no indication Martinez is refusing to fight him. Geale was considered the #1 challenger after he beat Sturm. But, he was interested in fighting Anthony Mundine in Australia. Prior to the Chavez fight, Pirog, Quillin, and GGG were all unproven. Two of them still are. You know perfectly well Sturm wouldn't fight outside of Germany. Martinez chose to fight the guy who most thought beat Sturm, Macklin. Martinez also fought Barker, who went on to beat Geale. By your logic for considering Golovkin champion, you could call Sturm or Quillin champion too. Fact is, lineal champion is the real champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X