No announcement yet.

I just dont get Agnosticism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just dont get Agnosticism

I hear a lot of my friends, and other people, declaring themselves Agnostic at the moment, I just dont see the point.

Their justification is that it is more scientific to acknowledge the possibilty that a god(s) exist than to outright deny it. Ok so if I acknowledge the very small possibility (IMO) that there is an all controlling god or gods, then surely, going by scientific principals, I would only believe in it if there was proof that it/they existed? Thereby making the 'god' a part of science and a rationable explainable being which does not require any element of faith to believe in it.

Do we need a new a classification for people who acknowledge the possibility that when they are inside the sky turns red? or who think there is a small chance they are the subject of a 'Truman Show' type program? (dont lie we've all been there)

Have I misunderstood what Agnosticism is? Are there any Agnostics on this forum who would argue against?

There is no such thing as a true agnostic. The overwhelming majority of people who identify themselves as 'agnostic' are in fact 'agnostic atheists', which most atheists are, as well.

An absolute agnostic is a person who, after reviewing the physical evidence and philosophical arguments for and against the existence of gods comes to the conclusion that it is equally probable that deities do exist as it is that they do not.

Even a person who has never heard of the existence of any religion cannot be categorized in this position because in order to arrive at it one must first be aware of the concept of god and then consider it.

Therefore, in practical reality, an absolute agnostic most likely doesn't exist.

People who claim to be an out-and-out agnostic are either exceedingly ignorant of the English language or they simply claim to be agnostic so as not to offend either the religious or the non-religious, and I have nothing but contempt for them.

Still, there are worse groups.

Like those trendy assh*les who claim to be "spiritual, not religious" while taking a break from sniffing their own farts.

Comment

And on that note.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        There is no such thing as a true agnostic. The overwhelming majority of people who identify themselves as 'agnostic' are in fact 'agnostic atheists', which most atheists are, as well.

An absolute agnostic is a person who, after reviewing the physical evidence and philosophical arguments for and against the existence of gods comes to the conclusion that it is equally probable that deities do exist as it is that they do not.

Even a person who has never heard of the existence of any religion cannot be categorized in this position because in order to arrive at it one must first be aware of the concept of god and then consider it.

Therefore, in practical reality, an absolute agnostic most likely doesn't exist.

People who claim to be an out-and-out agnostic are either exceedingly ignorant of the English language or they simply claim to be agnostic so as not to offend either the religious or the non-religious, and I have nothing but contempt for them.

Like those trendy assh*les who claim to be "spiritual, not religious" while taking a break from sniffing their own farts.
        great last sentence

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          great last sentence
          Believe me when I tell you that it takes every bit of restraint that I can muster in order to not physically assault somebody every time some smarmy pseudointellectual f*ggot with 'bed head' in skinny jeans and a t-shirt two sizes too small breaks that line out on me in the midst of a conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The_Bringer again

Comment

Leave the pseudos a lone, Bringer... it makes them feel like they're contributing. It's usually right after they're done watching Cloud Atlas.
              Last edited by deliveryman; 02-09-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

What doesnt make sense in saying 'i dont know'?

Agnostic atheist= i dont know but dont believe

Comment

I think people need to look up the definition of atheist.

One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
                  @Bringer: You are mistaken. I've already educated you on this subject and you continue with your ignorance.

An agnostic is someone who isn't sure in the existence of god.
                  It is impossible to state that there is no god therefore your claim that you are an atheist is a religious belief, just like the people who claim god does exist.

It's really not hard to understand.

Comment

It sometimes depends on how those people define God. They will usually outright deny the existence of the monotheistic deities but leave themselves open to the possibility of some type of creator.

Comment

Working...
                    X