Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free boxing on regular television how in the world is that bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
    Only a foolish, fake boxing fan would even complain about boxing on cable\dish TV (Not free really, but paid for as part of your normal TV bill). Personally, I think its awesome and I'm glad it happening.

I think it all boils down to WHO is offering the service, as opposed to what is being offered and the conditions. If TR\GBP were making the moves that Haymon is making, to some, all would be right with the universe. But since Haymon is associated with Floyd, and many despise Floyd for some absolutely absurd reason, it becomes a bad thing, corrupt, unworthy or tainted in some way.

That stated, its seemingly OK, for Arum and ODLH to be corrupt to the core drug addicts, thieves etc.... But for strange reason, its not OK, if it were true for Haymon to be cut from the same cloth. I believe that's why many link race to the hypocrisy, because the similarities are so similar but only one side get's the heat.

Perhaps someone could elaborate on why, out of three historic criminals, only one catches heat and ridicule.

And don't anyone who's a lost, mentally deluded soul, come in here to suggest that Arum and ODLH are clean and unblemished, because that would only contribute to the absurdity.

good post!!

Comment

It's not bad. It's a good thing. But the action for the most part is bad. So if they say "well don't watch than" well guess what there not watching lol. This is boxings chance.so put on some good action fights and get the damn presentation of the telecast improved

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        The more boxing i can watch the better
        I agree with this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
          Only a foolish, fake boxing fan would even complain about boxing on cable\dish TV (Not free really, but paid for as part of your normal TV bill). Personally, I think its awesome and I'm glad it happening.

I think it all boils down to WHO is offering the service, as opposed to what is being offered and the conditions. If TR\GBP were making the moves that Haymon is making, to some, all would be right with the universe. But since Haymon is associated with Floyd, and many despise Floyd for some absolutely absurd reason, it becomes a bad thing, corrupt, unworthy or tainted in some way.

That stated, its seemingly OK, for Arum and ODLH to be corrupt to the core drug addicts, thieves etc.... But for strange reason, its not OK, if it were true for Haymon to be cut from the same cloth. I believe that's why many link race to the hypocrisy, because the similarities are so similar but only one side get's the heat.

Perhaps someone could elaborate on why, out of three historic criminals, only one catches heat and ridicule.

And don't anyone who's a lost, mentally deluded soul, come in here to suggest that Arum and ODLH are clean and unblemished, because that would only contribute to the absurdity.
          Very simple minded to simply pull the race card.

What it boils down to is several things:

- it's created yet another fued. Haymon vs HBO, which is another barrier preventing HBO fighters from fighting PBC fighters. Fans want the best to fight the best, so naturally when something like this happens, it sucks when we can't get fights we want due to politics.

- Haymon matchmaking. Everyone remembers how terrible 2014 was, and years prior, in regards to Haymon match ups. PBC has been better, but still we get some really weird nearly unwatchable matches being made that make no sense (Lara vs Rodriguez, Ishe Smith vs Vanes (rumored), etc.

Haymon has such a deep stable and yet we still haven't been given the fights we really want. We got some good ones, like Thurman vs Guerrero and Garcia vs Peterson, but nothing to do back flips over. Even Broner Vs Porter made little sense and Khan vs Algieri was weak sauce but proved to be a good fight since Algieri was let out the cage and Khan sucks.

-People don't like guys getting overpaid for crap fights. Although this is kinda irrelevant right now since PBC is paying out of pocket.

-Perceived corruption. Although again, PBC has seemed to be legit (Quillin getting a draw against Lee, etc).

-Poor reputation. Haymon doesn't have the best rep among boxing fans so anything he's attached to will probably have a negative side to it as well, until fans are proven otherwise.

Other reasons as well but you get the idea.

I don't agree with all this stuff and I've said before PBC, right now, is both good and bad for the sport. Good because we're getting boxing on regular cable and primetime TV which is awesome. Bad because it's created PBC vs everyone else and divided boxing in a sense. I think there is going to be growing pains if this is going to be successful, so it's going to suck that we can't have Golovkin vs Quillin, or Lomachenko vs Santa Cruz, Kovalev vs Stevenson, etc etc etc. But in the long run perhaps it will be better. We just all have to be patient and see how things are a couple years from now.

You also gotta give PBC a chance. Put aside Haymons reputation, support boxing and hope for the best. If Haymon is successful, great. Whatever helps the sport. If he's not, so be it, he tried to do something different which is more than most can say.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
            Very simple minded to simply pull the race card.

What it boils down to is several things:

- it's created yet another fued. Haymon vs HBO, which is another barrier preventing HBO fighters from fighting PBC fighters. Fans want the best to fight the best, so naturally when something like this happens, it sucks when we can't get fights we want due to politics.

- Haymon matchmaking. Everyone remembers how terrible 2014 was, and years prior, in regards to Haymon match ups. PBC has been better, but still we get some really weird nearly unwatchable matches being made that make no sense (Lara vs Rodriguez, Ishe Smith vs Vanes (rumored), etc.

Haymon has such a deep stable and yet we still haven't been given the fights we really want. We got some good ones, like Thurman vs Guerrero and Garcia vs Peterson, but nothing to do back flips over. Even Broner Vs Porter made little sense and Khan vs Algieri was weak sauce but proved to be a good fight since Algieri was let out the cage and Khan sucks.

-People don't like guys getting overpaid for crap fights. Although this is kinda irrelevant right now since PBC is paying out of pocket.

-Perceived corruption. Although again, PBC has seemed to be legit (Quillin getting a draw against Lee, etc).

-Poor reputation. Haymon doesn't have the best rep among boxing fans so anything he's attached to will probably have a negative side to it as well, until fans are proven otherwise.

Other reasons as well but you get the idea.

I don't agree with all this stuff and I've said before PBC, right now, is both good and bad for the sport. Good because we're getting boxing on regular cable and primetime TV which is awesome. Bad because it's created PBC vs everyone else and divided boxing in a sense. I think there is going to be growing pains if this is going to be successful, so it's going to suck that we can't have Golovkin vs Quillin, or Lomachenko vs Santa Cruz, Kovalev vs Stevenson, etc etc etc. But in the long run perhaps it will be better. We just all have to be patient and see how things are a couple years from now.

You also gotta give PBC a chance. Put aside Haymons reputation, support boxing and hope for the best. If Haymon is successful, great. Whatever helps the sport. If he's not, so be it, he tried to do something different which is more than most can say.
            it's created yet another fued. Haymon vs HBO, which is another barrier preventing HBO fighters from fighting PBC fighters.

HBO banned Haymon and fired Kerry Davis, the guy at HBo that worked most closely with Al.

If you were Al, how would you have responded?

Comment

I've liked the PBC cards so far. Boxing every week is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                How the hell can any damn boxing fan complain about not only more boxing but FREE!!!!! How??? How??

The production is horrible. The arena is dark, which makes it look like no one is there. It makes boxing look dull, with that dark lighting and wrestling entrances.

Hbo and showtime have a ppv feel no matter who is fighting.

I can't say the same for pbc.

I like some of the matchups. But the atmosphere just isn't there. PBC makes there fights seem B list

Comment

come on Larry u know what the deal is man, it sucks tho and its stupid but its reality

Comment

People just want to hate on Haymons Success. That is all. Haymon has taken boxing to a new level.

Comment

I don't pay any extra for boxing on HBO and as HBO is included in my movie channel package, all the content I see on that station technically is free.

NBC Sports and CBS Sports channels are not even available to me in Canada, neither are Showtime or any ESPN station. I have to select Spike as part of my package to the detriment of another channel I may prefer to watch or upgrade my package to allow me to have more stations so it is not totally 'free' either.

As for free boxing on CBS and NBC, well just because something is free doesn't guarantee it is worth watching. There are plenty of crappy shows on free network television. When was the last time anyone watched a great 'made for television' movie?

Comment

Working...
                      X