Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Saul Alvarez have stamina issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
    Did Canelo burn out against Mosley? I remember him throwing bombs all night, but I can't recall the specifics of his actual output.

I think he needs to be more measured in his approach, he doesn't always have to throw a knockout punch.

I do love his increased head movement. I hope more young Mexican boxers learn from Canelo/Garcia and realize you don't have to fight like JCC every fight.
    They can also learn from Mayweather and Pacquiao since your including other races

Comment

Typical issues with fighters that blast early competition, once you have to go late in a fight, you aren't used to it.

Comment

Canelo's training regimen could be tweaked. Not sure if his trainer knows how to build up his stamina. Alvarez fights in short bursts kinda in the way Lamont Peterson does but Saul has a pretty good ring iq. He makes his exchanges count and is smart enough to fight at a measured pace. Mayweather does this same thing so brilliantly that he even knows what punches to throw when he's in rest mode. Floyd has all the tools he can keep you off throwing non energy depleting shots when the target isn't available for a good score. Canelo isn't quite that schooled but he atleast knows to take the foot off the pedal to conserve energy and has enough counter punching pop to keep you from running in there when he's taking a blow. Fighters that drain do tend to fade late as well and even though Canelo is going to benefit from bringing in a nutritionist, this fight won't tell it. He's in there with arguably the best conditioned athlete in the game. Canelo's commitment to his punches is exciting and has worked thus far. The stamina issue is just one of the kinks in his armor but he has the size and power advantage to offset it.

Comment

He's a middleweight. There, I SAID IT. No, i'm not saying that because he has an upcoming fight against my favorite boxer. I'll say the same thing whether he wins or lose after September 14. Win or lose, he should move up to middleweight. Outside of a fight with Lara, there are no other competitive fights for him to take at Jr Middleweight. He'd beat Angulo, Cotto, ect.

Comment

hes too pudgy and should be at 160 but he knows when he moves up he ll get smashed up

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              He said mix up the intensity, which will actually help Canelo's stamina. Maybe we're thinking too much into this, Trout has a venomous style in which he'll give you impression that he wants to come forward but really is a boxer through and through. It's a tough style to deal with.
              Good assessment. Trout has a very deceiving, slippery style. I don't particularly like it but it works well for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Birts View Post
                He's young so he should be full of energy.
                Why does Mathysse punch hard? Why can't Khan take a good punch? Why did Margo have amazing stamina and could throw 10000000000000000000000000 punches?...etc

It's genetic....Stamina isn't Canelo's strong part. He can improve his stamina but he will never be known as that man with great stamina. Stamina is one of those things that Canelo will always struggle with.

Comment

I think his stamina is ok. He threw over 700 punches in the Mosley fight.He has gone 12 rounds a few times now and I don't remember him losing the late rounds. His work rate is average or above average for his weight class and his punching accuracy and his hit to get hit ratio is excellent.

Comment

Matthysse puts more into his punches than Alvarez does (even coming off his feet from throwing a wild hay-maker) and he doesn't have the same issues... i think a lot of it is lack of cardio and his build. He should be fighting at 160.

Comment

Working...
                    X