North Korea warns of nuclear 'sacred war'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] North Korea warns of nuclear 'sacred war'

From BBC today:

North Korea says it will use its "nuclear deterrent" in response to joint US-South Korean military exercises this weekend. Pyongyang was ready to launch a "retaliatory sacred war" at any time, the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

Washington and Seoul say the war games are to deter North Korean aggression. Tensions between the two Koreas have been high since the sinking of a South Korean warship in March.

Responding to Pyongyang's warning, US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said that Washington was "not interested in a war of words with North Korea". "What we need from North Korea is fewer provocative words and more constructive action," the spokesman added.

The BBC's John Sudworth, in Seoul, says this is not the first time that North Korea has issued such a warning. Although it is likely to be dismissed as the usual diplomatic brinkmanship, the rising tension will cause concern among governments in the region, he adds.

The North's powerful National Defence Commission said the war games were "nothing but outright provocations aimed to stifle the Democratic People's Republic of Korea [North Korea] by force of arms," the KCNA reported.

These remarks will cause a certain amount of consternation. While few people believe that it is a real threat in the immediate sense, it does add to the sense of rising tension.

China has been urging the US and South Korea to tread very carefully. It does not want to see tensions to rise further, and there have been clear signals from Beijing that it does not think that this sort of war game being held off the coast of the Korean peninsula at this moment is a good idea.

China's real worry is that North Korea is already very isolated, it is being squeezed diplomatically and economically, and if it is squeezed too hard, it might live up to some of these words.

"The army and people of the DPRK will start a retaliatory sacred war of their own style based on nuclear deterrent any time necessary in order to counter the US imperialists and the South Korean puppet forces deliberately pushing the situation to the brink of a war," it added.

The North had already promised a physical response to the military exercises during an Asian regional security forum in Vietnam on Friday. North Korea's delegation spokesman at the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean) regional forum said the exercises were an example of 19th century "gunboat diplomacy".

"It is a threat to the Korean peninsula and the region of Asia as a whole," he said. China has criticised the plans and warned against any action which might "exacerbate regional tensions".

But Japan is sending four military observers, in an apparent endorsement of the drills.

The US announced on Wednesday that it was to impose new sanctions on North Korea, aimed at halting nuclear proliferation and the import of luxury goods.

its only a matter of time until something huge is going to happen...

Comment

i wont worry about it, but **** i get sick of them threatning us, dont they got better **** to deal with

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
        The Korean leader is getting old - maybe he wants a military confrontation with the US before he dies?

It was his father who in 1950 initiated the first Korean war.
        Its a bluff. North Korean doesn't move without tacit Chinese approval.

Also, are you sure about the bold?

sounds wrong.

Comment

I guess this is where the tin foil hat wearing f@gbats come swooping in, and blame the U.S. for every damn thing. Whatever. Run what you brung. We brought more...

Comment

The Korean leader is getting old - maybe he wants a military confrontation with the US before he dies?

It was his father who in 1950 initiated the first Korean war.
            I don't think now would be the right time for Kim to move, it seems he's trying to set his youngest son up to succeed him and starting a war now would risk that succession happening smoothly. I don't think the military elite of Korea who hold the real power behind the Kim regime would support a war now anyways, they're too comfortable with their lifestyle and privilege.

Originally posted by Saucy Jacky View Post
            Its a bluff. North Korean doesn't move without tacit Chinese approval.

Also, are you sure about the bold?

sounds wrong.
            He's right, it was Kim Il Sung who started the first war by invading South Korea. I agree with what you're saying though Jack, it's just a bluff.

Comment

i had some crazy ass dream a couple of days ago that a nuke hit the pacific ocean...just a dream tho

Comment

I wasn't aware that the North even had nukes. I know they have attempted to create them, but they've never proven or been proven to have them.

Comment

I didn't mean that part. I thought you meant they brought the U.S to get involved.

Nevermind.

Comment

Pretty insulting that you'd post links to Wikipedia on Kim Il Sung Tunney.

Way to be condescending.

Like I wouldn't know who the fuck that is.

Comment

Working...
                    X