Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins MW resume vs Sturms MW resume. Whos is really better & who would win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post
    Sturm isn't one of the greats, but his resume is solid with wins over champs and former champs, and other top contenders.

He has the size, speed and style to trouble Hopkins. He is very good technically and Hopkins has a weakness against fast 2 handed fighters his own size, like STurm

But once again, what are Joppy's top 5 best wins? What makes him a good win for Trinidad?
    Sturm is not and never was blistering fast, he also fights at a measured pace which would favor a masterful technician like B-hop, I just could see no way Sturm beats Hopkins with his style.

Its more to me about Tito moving up to 160 to just vaporize a defending world champion with 1 loss and like an 80% ko rate with ease not so much about Joppy's credentials but he was a decent fighter in his prime.
    Last edited by Spray_resistant; 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      Sturm is not and never was blistering fast, he also fights at a measured pace which would favor a masterful technician like B-hop, I just could see no way Sturm beats Hopkins with his style.
      Fast movements, and a stiff jab could confuse Hopkins and make him uncomfortable. Though I would pick Hopkins to win, I think it makes an interesting debate

Its more to me about Tito moving up to 160 to just vaporize a defending world champion with 1 loss and like an 80% ko rate with ease not so much about Joppy's credentials but he was a decent fighter in his prime.

Once again, I don't consider Tito in his prime at MW, nor do I consider him a great MW, though he was a great WW. Joppy was a fair fighter, but he was a champion in possibly the worst MW division in history. I don't see how that highlight Tito's credentials as a top MW?

Comment

I see Hopkins getting past Sturm's jab and outworking him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
          I see Hopkins getting past Sturm's jab and outworking him.

Do you think Hopkins stops him? Or gets the decision?

Comment

Joppy's fights with Duran were terrible, Duran was beyond shot fighting on for money. What's worse is, those wins over Duran are probably Joppy's best moments in the ring

Comment

Hopkins was the f+cking MAN for a decade at middleweight. Sturm fought handpicked opponents in his backyard and needed gift decisions to keep his title.
              Sturm didnt fight Pirog, Martinez, Golovkin, etc.
              gift decision against Macklin and many many close fights which he probably might not have won on neutral ground.
              So dont EVER compare Hopkins and Felix Sturm. Not saying Sturm wouldnt have been a difficult style matchup for Hopkins, but as far as resumè is concerned, Sturm got nothing on Hopkins.

Comment

Hopkins actually fought some decent guys. Joppy and holmes had middleweight titles for a long tiime plus glen Johnson. john Jackson simon brown were former champs antwon echols was decent so was Mercado. Joe Lipsey was a top prospect and he destroyed him. There was some other ok guys. Alot better the the guys Calzaghe fought that's for sure. Hopkins opponents were ranked at least. NSB Doesn't know you unless you're an all time great or you're fighting right now.

Comment

Fast movements, and a stiff jab could confuse Hopkins and make him uncomfortable. Though I would pick Hopkins to win, I think it makes an interesting debate

Once again, I don't consider Tito in his prime at MW, nor do I consider him a great MW, though he was a great WW. Joppy was a fair fighter, but he was a champion in possibly the worst MW division in history. I don't see how that highlight Tito's credentials as a top MW?
                  you're trying to hard. the win over tito was historic. Guys like leonard and hearns were welterweights moving up to. that's how it goes. Look at mayweather. if a guy beat him at 140 and knocked him out would you say it wasn't a good win because mayweather was moving up?

Comment

hopkins has always been fantastic at neutralizing the jab, either with lateral movement, distance or by smothering the opponent. in all of hopkins fights you will never see an opponent who consistently was able to use the jab successfully. that is one of the best parts of hopkins game. and sturm without his jab is nothing.

Comment

Tito also beat david read in a tough fight. That was a hell of a win

Comment

Working...
                      X