Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calzaghe pulls out...again!!!

Calzaghe withdraws from defence

Joe Calzaghe was scheduled to make his 16th title defence
    Joe Calzaghe has withdrawn from his WBO super middleweight title defence on 11 February in Manchester.
    The Welshman has cited a lack of preparation time for the fight against an unnamed opponent and is scheduled to return in March.

The event will now be headlined by local super featherweight Michael Gomez and is hoped to include amateur boxers.

It will be the first ever pro-am bill and should include the likes of Olympic silver medallist Amir Khan.

However, promoter Frank Warren is still in talks with the Amateur Boxing Association with regard to staging up to four amateur bouts at the MEN Arena.

Gomez's fellow Mancunian Stephen Foster Jnr is also set to contest the WBU featherweight title on the same card.

In his column for the South Wales Argus last week, Calzaghe claimed he would be fighting on 11 February and said that "...rumours that Frank Warren wants the defence to be put back to March and April are just that".

Rough-house fighter Antwun Echols had been in negotiations with the Calzaghe camp, but it now appears the 33-year-old American was unable to agree a deal with Warren.

Scott Pemberton and Mario Veit - who Calzaghe beat in one round almost four years ago - had also been touted as possible foes, but neither would have been suitably exciting to the boxing public.

What a fanny, if he's not pulling out of fights or getting 'injured' they're being postponed, both the Echols and Pemberton fights could have been exciting brawls though it looks as if Frankie boy may have something to do with this but still the fighter should be the boss and have the final say on when he fights

Originally posted by barryboy
    Calzaghe withdraws from defence

Joe Calzaghe was scheduled to make his 16th title defence
    Joe Calzaghe has withdrawn from his WBO super middleweight title defence on 11 February in Manchester.
    The Welshman has cited a lack of preparation time for the fight against an unnamed opponent and is scheduled to return in March.

The event will now be headlined by local super featherweight Michael Gomez and is hoped to include amateur boxers.

It will be the first ever pro-am bill and should include the likes of Olympic silver medallist Amir Khan.

However, promoter Frank Warren is still in talks with the Amateur Boxing Association with regard to staging up to four amateur bouts at the MEN Arena.

Gomez's fellow Mancunian Stephen Foster Jnr is also set to contest the WBU featherweight title on the same card.

In his column for the South Wales Argus last week, Calzaghe claimed he would be fighting on 11 February and said that "...rumours that Frank Warren wants the defence to be put back to March and April are just that".

Rough-house fighter Antwun Echols had been in negotiations with the Calzaghe camp, but it now appears the 33-year-old American was unable to agree a deal with Warren.

Scott Pemberton and Mario Veit - who Calzaghe beat in one round almost four years ago - had also been touted as possible foes, but neither would have been suitably exciting to the boxing public.

What a fanny, if he's not pulling out of fights or getting 'injured' they're being postponed, both the Echols and Pemberton fights could have been exciting brawls though it looks as if Frankie boy may have something to do with this but still the fighter should be the boss and have the final say on when he fights
    Thats annoying, i like Gomez but only as an undercard fighter so i doubt i'll be going now.

Maybe the better deals couldnt be made so he thought he'd try to avoid the mandatory by saying he isnt prepared. He's known about this fight for a long time and there still a months until it happened.

The only way i'll be happy is if he fights Johnson in April.

Comment

I agree. I'm a massive Calzaghe fan. I'd go so far as to say he's the best Super-Middle, Light-Heavy in the world. But he pisses me off cancelling all the time. Maybe it's a motivation thing? If he gets the fights he deserves, i.e; Tarver, Johnson, maybe even beat Ottke up again for a laugh, he might be more up for it?

Comment

Originally posted by dustymoo
        I agree. I'm a massive Calzaghe fan. I'd go so far as to say he's the best Super-Middle, Light-Heavy in the world. But he pisses me off cancelling all the time. Maybe it's a motivation thing? If he gets the fights he deserves, i.e; Tarver, Johnson, maybe even beat Ottke up again for a laugh, he might be more up for it?
        hes fought ottke???
        i thought that was the fight that never happened

anyway calzaghe imo is the best established fighter the uk
        has at the moment but hes throwing it all away.

if in doubt fight...not ***** ass around

and yet again warren is involved.

Comment

calzaghes never fought ottke! did he fight him as an amateur then?

Comment

My humblest apologies, i meant Omar Sheiker. (reminder to self, dont go on forum pissed). Mind you, dont think Ottke would prove too much of a problem. But the Welsh tit would probably get injured again? What an annoying talent?
            (i'm also Welsh, so please dont bite my head off for that)

Comment

Blame it all on Frank Warren.

Comment

It's just so easy to hate Joe Calzaghe.

He should retire.

Comment

He should leave Warren and the UK and seek his fortune in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by onikami
                    He should leave Warren and the UK and seek his fortune in the USA.

No, thanks.....we don't want him.

Comment

Working...
                    X