"Pacquiao is wonderful for boxing"-Steward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pacquiao is wonderful for boxing"-Steward

Exclusive Interview: Emanuel Steward
    Straight From D Source: Exclusive Interview with Hall of Fame Boxing Trainer Emanuel Steward
    By
    Dennis Guillermo
    “Pacquiao is wonderful for boxing.” – Emanuel Steward
    It’s my pleasure to bring to you my interview with Hall of Fame boxing trainer and HBO analyst Emanuel Steward. It’s not everyday that you get to sit and talk to one of the legends of the sport. Emanuel has trained the best of the best from Sugar Ray Leonard to Tommy Hearns, Julio Caesar Chavez and Oscar De la Hoya. Emanuel shared his wealth of wisdom and knowledge regarding the current state of the sport of boxing and also gave his insights about the future of his star pupil Vladimir Kltichsko as well as his take on Manny Pacquiao being the new face of boxing.

8COUNT – D Source for 8countnews.com is here with Hall of Fame and one of the best trainers in the game, HBO analyst Emanuel Steward. Thank you, Emanuel for taking time out to do this interview.

EMANUEL STEWARD - Okay, it’s no problem. It’s part of my job.

8COUNT – How are you doing Emanuel? Happy New Year!

EMANUEL STEWARD – Oh same to you man, I’m just looking forward to the Margarito and Shane Mosley fight to kick off which looks like there’s going to be some good fights coming up this year. I’m very impressed with some of the bouts they have announced. It’s going to be good for the fight game.

8COUNT – What’s keeping you busy these days? Who are you currently training?

EMANUEL STEWARD – I’m currently working out with Andy Lee.

8COUNT – 2008 was a good year in boxing in my opinion, yet some say boxing is struggling. Can you give us your 2 cents on the matter?

EMANUEL STEWARD – Well… it’s a little bit of both. Some of the fights that were made were not that good of a fight, but still you’re going to have good and bad. I think one of the biggest and best things for boxing is that the everyday fan- people on the street- know the names of so many boxers now more than any other time in history. It used to be that they would know maybe Tyson, maybe a Ray Leonard or maybe Marvin Hagler but now you can go out and everybody knows so many everyday fighters which really amazes me. And they have varied opinions about them, strong opinions whether Margarito or Mosley… or whether Pavlik you know… Bernard Hopkins… So they know so many of these fighters now… Barrera so… I think with the proper matches being made and not just the marquee names that they just keep selling them over and over; the thing is we have not developed superstars in recent years and that’s the biggest problem in boxing. We don’t have a lot of young boxers that we develop too much.

8COUNT – Let’s talk about one of your star pupils right now- Vladimir Kltichsko. There have been talks that his proposed title defense against Chris Arreola isn’t signed yet and with David Haye lurking in the corner; what do you think is next for Vladimir?

EMANUEL STEWARD – David Haye. Simply because right now it’s the most attractive heavyweight fight in boxing out there than can be made. David has created a lot of excitement. He talks a lot, and after the talk he had a very impressive knockout over Enzo Maccarinelli, fairly impressive fight with Monte Barrett but mostly because he’s talking. He’s promoting. He’s hyping and nobody else is doing it. So he’s created a lot of excitement and I think that’s the most attractive fight for Vladimir. And after that, if things go well then David Arreola, but there’s no demand for David Arreola. The demand is for David Haye. If you mention heavyweights now to the general worldwide public, the first name that comes up as a challenger for the Kltichskos is David Haye… David Haye… So David Haye has created excitement for a big fight.

8COUNT – Awesome! We definitely want to see that too. How do you think Vladimir is going handle David Haye?

EMANUEL STEWARD – Vladimir I think is the best heavyweight in boxing. I don’t see anyone… He would handle Haye much like how he’s handled the rest of the guys. He’s just too big and too good and there’s too much basic control. I think he’s probably the best fighter that I ever saw in history that really can set and control the tempo of a fight and make a fight be exactly what he wants it to be.

8COUNT – Now let’s talk about Manny Pacquiao. You’ve seen him up-close progress as a pugilist. Tell us what you think about this guy and is he really now that face of boxing?

EMANUEL STEWARD – I would say mostly more than anyone currently because Pavlik was starting to come along and then the upset loss to Bernard Hopkins and then you know so that kind of watered him down and Bernard just the fact he’s near the end of his career even though he had a great fight with Pavlik you know, is not really who you can say is the face of boxing just because of the point in time in his career but I’m glad to see Bernard at least get the chance to make some money, some kind of condition which has eluded him all the time when he was a middleweight. He should’ve made some with those 20 defenses but nobody was willing to fight him. He’s making more money and recognition now and I’m very happy for him. But anyway, you got Joe Calzaghe, but Joe has announced that he’s on the verge of retiring so… and Shane Mosley is on his last leg you know so… The problem is we don’t have the great new prospects or superstars coming up like we used to have and I don’t know, I think Pacquiao I would probably say would be the face of boxing now.

8COUNT – Tell us…

EMANUEL STEWARD – (interrupts) He’s exciting (Pacquiao). I have to respect that he’s an exciting fighter. He fights with excitement and recently shown a lot of boxing skill in addition to his aggression, his great punching power, not afraid of anyone, never been in bad fights, so I think he’s wonderful for boxing.

8COUNT - It’s been reported that Manny Pacquiao will be fighting Ricky Hatton on May 2nd. What do you think about that match-up?

EMANUEL STEWARD – I think it’s a very intriguing match-up and I know Manny would probably come off as the first thought- big favorite- but I don’t know. Ricky I think is still very physical, I think he’s stronger than Manny maybe not, I may be wrong. And I think even though Ricky is a much more of a rusher or brawler, a pusher, a shover, he still can get a fighter off-track and will be a very tough fight that even though most would think Pacquiao, it’s a “toss-up”. I think that Manny, as good as he is, a lot of the credit that he got really was to some degree more the combination of him being a good fighter and being that Oscar was totally physically nothing that night. But it’s not Manny’s fault. Manny came in and did what he was supposed to do, he was in great shape, fought the fight that he and his trainer Freddie Roach laid out and whatever the problem was and issues with De la Hoya, that was not his fault. He did what he was supposed to do but nevertheless I think we got so carried away with that performance that maybe we’re being a little unrealistic when we look at his talents. He’s good but he’s not that super great I don’t think. .

part 2

8COUNT – If you were to train Ricky Hatton against Manny Pacquiao, what do you think is the strategy to beat Pacquiao?

EMANUEL STEWARD – I think to fight the regular Ricky Hatton fight- very aggressive, very strong. Fight with a lot of intensity. Because when he tried that with Mayweather which was a “changey” type fighter, he knows how to time and can counter-punch you, throw his punches, but that’s not going to be the case though with Manny. Manny is going to box a little bit but Manny will fight him. Therefore Ricky’s strength and brawling style may be way more effective than against a good technical fighter like Mayweather.

8COUNT – You have trained the best boxers in the world for so many years. Can you tell us what keeps you motivated in doing this (training boxers)?

EMANUEL STEWARD – Well when you get a fighter that really appreciates you. And that’s the biggest thing with every kid. Right now I’m fortunate to work with fighters and I only work with one or two and the ones that I work with are the guys who I think that I’m the most comfortable with. These are the guys who I can have a good personal relationship with. Fighters who are harder to handle in some ways I just prefer to leave them alone. But the most important thing is that I have to be with fighters where I have control. When I can pretty much just set up the training, set up this and set up that even though I always let them have input and I never do anything like “it’s my way or no way” or “I’m the master” type- I don’t do that. I like to set-up with the fighters and we can discuss and talk things a little bit before we do it and we make a decision among ourselves, me and the fighter. Not any of the other parties can come in and say this is what you guys have to do, or the fighter goes and talks to someone else and comes back, that’s where I have problems. But as long as I can sit and discuss with the fighters who are very intelligent, most of them are really more intelligent than most of us trainers, people just don’t realize it, and we make decisions about who we’re going to spar, we’re going to do this, do that, that’s where I’m more comfortable with.

8COUNT – Is there any particular boxer that stands out in your book from all the greats that you have trained?

EMANUEL STEWARD – No. I’ve had a big relationship with all of my fighters. Oscar De la Hoya was beautiful to work with. Lennox… Oscar, during the time I worked with him was one of my favorites. Julio Caesar Chavez… All of the fighters that I have worked with, I’ve had a good relationship with when I was working with them and training them. Nothing but great memories about all of them; it’s just really unusual I never had a problem with anyone.

8COUNT – And lastly, do you have any messages to our fight fans out there?

EMANUEL STEWARD – Well just I hope that they continue to keep supporting us. I know that the supporters are having some problems with us of not having new superstars coming up and also the fact that we got the MMA and all of this type stuff out here but I think a lot of the criticisms we’ve received is because of some of the matches not being what the public thought was going to be good matches. It’s going to be a little bit better this year. We have so many good fights out there. Juan Manuel Marquez and all of those type fights. I guess, what’s the other Juan’s name from Houston?...

8COUNT – Juan Diaz.

EMANUEL STEWARD – Juan Diaz. I mean that’s a lot of good super fights but it may be one a month of those type fights, the big quality fights, but the thing is we got to have more consistency of other good fights where young fighters are developing and have at least one super fight each month.

8COUNT – Alright Emanuel. Thanks a lot for your time. I appreciate it.

EMANUEL STEWARD – Ok you’re very welcome

Comment

Working...
    X