Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do We Continue to Recognize the Lineal Championship When....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rath View Post
    maybe because it made Pac 5 lineal titlist while your floyd only got 4 and then since someone's better than floyd now,

genius floyd fan started this thread to unrecognized lineal title.
    Floyd also has 5 lineal titles but in 4 divisions...he was lineal at

147-2 times
    and 154

Comment

• Originally posted by gamesworn View Post
      I'm pretty sure most of the ranking I saw before Pac-Bradley 3. Pacquiao and Bradley was considered number 1 and 2 of the division. Only the ring ratings have different set rankings. And we all know how ****ty ring ratings right now because of GBP owning it.

Bradley's only lost in WW was against Pacquiao (The number 1 of the division).

Heck Floyd Won his Ring Title against Guerrero. And now you are trying to discredit Pacquiao's Lineal Title against Bradley
      He won the ring title against Guerrero,not the lineal title..his 1st lineal title at 147 was against Baldo who beat Judah who beat spinks who beat Mayorga who beat Forrest who beat Mosley

His 2nd was against Mosley according to some others say Pacquiao

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        1. There are no official rankings.
        2. There is no rule that says you have to defend your "title" against the #1 contender.
        3. There is no rule that says you have to defend your "title" against ANYONE in your division.
        4. There is no rule that says you even have to fight anyone, period
        5. No fighter, trainer, promoter or network cares about this "title"

Look at the situation at 160. The "lineal" champion has never fought a MW contender. A fight between the #1 vs. #2 fighter in the MW division has not taken place since Sergio Martinez defeated Kelly Pavlik in 2010.

Look at the situation at 175. The "lineal" champion hasn't even fought a guy in the top 5 since he became champion.

Roy Jones was the undisputed champion but never the "lineal" champion.

I know it has meaning from a historical perspective. But the system does not work anymore. Too much politics, not enough fights between 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and 5's. It's time to let this go
        I disagree. WHen you have the climate you have now the lineal title is important. It is the only title at a given weight that can't be won in the boardroom. It's the title earned by being the man that beat the man in the ring.

I understand politics make it difficult for fights to get made but that doesn't taint the lineal title in my eyes

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
          So beating 3 top 5 contenders (Geale, Lemieux and Murray - as per TBRB) isn't as credible as beating a one legged Marinez (who a lot of people saw lose to Murray) or Cotto at 155. What sort of logic is that?

If Golovkin isn't the champion in your view, Canelo/Cotto should have zero chance at claiming it either. Which I can agree with sort of
          bro...no matter how you sliced it or flip it Geale, lemmie and Murray were not the middleweight champion

Martinez was. Injury or not. Please stop acting like Martinez is the only champion to defend his title past prime or injured.

fights are won in the ring. deal with it. your opinion doesnt mean anything beside the facts.

these are facts, where is your logic? Martinez beat pavlik who beat taylor who beat Hopkins...its not that complex

GGG will be the champion when he either beats Canelo or the contender under him since he is the number one contender to the title.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I disagree. WHen you have the climate you have now the lineal title is important. It is the only title at a given weight that can't be won in the boardroom. It's the title earned by being the man that beat the man in the ring.

I understand politics make it difficult for fights to get made but that doesn't taint the lineal title in my eyes
            So the man is entitled to duck #1 contender and fight noncontenders indefinitely? Seems like a broken system

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              doesnt matter........ they are on his resume....... but but but resume doe
              see....you cant name them because he never beat a fighter who looked impressive or wasnt moving up @ 147

nice deflection...its not just the names but WHEN you beat them.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                So the man is entitled to duck #1 contender and fight noncontenders indefinitely? Seems like a broken system
                No. Obviously the lineal champ should defend against the top fighter in a given division.

I just have more respect for titles achieved through winning rather than pure politics. Now if the champion devalues his reign by his actions-like Canelo-I hold him accountable.

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  I dunno if Pacquiao would have moved up to 147 but 140 was looking just as likely.

Pacquiao beat Cotto, Hatton and DLH more convincingly than May beat JMM. That's all there is to it.

Take out the Pac win (which was good), Mayweathers ww resume just isnt as good as Pacs. It's just facts. No reason to try and turn it into anything else.
                  mayweather beat Cotto on a winning streak,.....manny beat him after a tko loss and a debateable decision

Mayweather knocked out a prime hatton.....Pacquaio beat him after he looked spotty vs Lazcano and on a coke and booze binge

mayweather beat DLH after winning the wbc title from mayorga.....Pac beat him after a loss to mayweather and a bad showing vs forbes

Mayweather beat mosley after obliterating Margo.....Manny fights him when he is older and 1-1-1 in his last 3 fights and hadnt won in 2 years plus

mayweather whitewashed JMM after a 2 year lay off...manny hasnt beat the man clearly in 4 tries but was ktfo by marquez.....bradley did nothing at 147 prior to fight 1 with manny. clottey lost all his big fights except judah

rios and algieri did nothing at 147....berto and ortiz held the wbc there

Also add Judah, Baldomir, and maidana all held titles and 2 were THE champion

notice the pattern? Pac fights them after looking vulnerable and /or catchweights or guys moving up....mayweather fights them after looking impressive....dont just throw names and leave out the details. Its clear as day Mayweather has a better career resume and definitely at 147

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    No. Obviously the lineal champ should defend against the top fighter in a given division.

I just have more respect for titles achieved through winning rather than pure politics. Now if the champion devalues his reign by his actions-like Canelo-I hold him accountable.
                    same here!!!! you dont get points for not fighting for a title and it being handed to you. screw canelito and the can man

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
                      1 vs 3 never establishes a 'lineage'

The last real 1 vs 2 was Golovkin vs Murray. But the system is so backwards that apparently a one-legged Martinez or 155 Cotto were still 'the man' at middleweight. 'the man' really has no significance in this case
                      The fact that Martinez got injured in no way erases his body of work. Prior to the injury he was the consensus best middleweight, a spot he earned in the ring by beating the previous best middleweight.

Golovkin having a parallel rise by dominating mediocre opposition doesn't change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X