Man, I love Gamboa....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    Yep, agreed all around.

I'm hoping 130 is possible, he'll still be a little small but I think his talent can cover a smaller size disparity. Shoot, tonight was a winnable fight even at 135 if he could have dialed back the recklessness a little.

I'm hoping for some better decisions all around, if the right one's are made I think he can still own 130.
    Honestly, bro...I think Gamboa can still be an exciting fighter and all, but he may have blown his load. Jumping around in weight probably isn't a good thing, and there just isn't much happening at 130.

Gamboa's inactivity had to be a factor in tonight's loss, although it didn't appear that way early. Yuri's conditioning was bad to the point that he started gassing in round four. Gamboa's crazy recklessness against a quality fighter, even when badly hurt, was just...crazy. Yuri's decision to train himself (let's face it, that's what was happening) was plain inadvisable.

A lot of "woulda, coulda, shouldas" in my mind tonight. But isn't it always like that?

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
      Crawford had a nice final hurrah at 135. The guys size/natural build definitely mattered here. I tried convincing myself that size wasn't much of a factor bf the fight but was obviously wrong. Gamboa should move down at least one class.
      Therein lies the rub. What worthwhile fights await at 130? Can Gamboa even get down to that weight comfortably? I saw him guzzling fluids immediately after weighing in on Friday. Yuri's career poses a lot of questions. That Rios fiasco has come back to bite him. The chickens have finally come home to roost....

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Honestly, bro...I think Gamboa can still be an exciting fighter and all, but he may have blown his load. Jumping around in weight probably isn't a good thing, and there just isn't much happening at 130.

Gamboa's inactivity had to be a factor in tonight's loss, although it didn't appear that way early. Yuri's conditioning was bad to the point that he started gassing in round four. Gamboa's crazy recklessness against a quality fighter, even when badly hurt, was just...crazy. Yuri's decision to train himself (let's face it, that's what was happening) was plain inadvisable

A lot of "woulda, coulda, shouldas" in my mind tonight. But isn't it always like that?

When he got hurt his decision to simply trade with a bigger and stronger puncher was inexplicable.

If you're going to go up in weight and fight a guy who is bigger in every way, you're supposed to be defensive and smart.

Gamboa couldn't conceive he want hurting Crawford.

Comment

Therein lies the rub. What worthwhile fights await at 130? Can Gamboa even get down to that weight comfortably? I saw him guzzling fluids immediately after weighing in on Friday. Yuri's career poses a lot of questions. That Rios fiasco has come back to bite him. The chickens have finally come home to roost....
          He has a strange body. Arms and height way short for weight.

Too muscular. Abs popping out. Weight doesn't correlate to rest of meusurements

Comment

Gamboa is a warrior, but he is a flyweight olympic champion, not a lightweight. Arum keep puting cubans against bigger fighters so he can make his fake idols. Waay better than Crawford, but he got knocked out. Bobby first tried with Rios, and then crawford, if they dont take care, next will be rigondeaux against Mickey or some **** like that.

Viva Gamboa.

Comment

Not many at 130 Although there is an intriguing one being held soon July 10th not too far from where I live.

Yea I saw him guzzling Pedialite right after the weigh in. That's not a strict indicator that Gamboa can't make the 130 limit. At 5'5" and although 33 yrs, Yuri is a specimen that if with the right conditioning coach and trainer, can excel and achieve.
              The Rios fiasco! Richard Abril is relevant thanks to it!

Comment

Gamboa's inactivity had to be a factor in tonight's loss, although it didn't appear that way early. Yuri's conditioning was bad to the point that he started gassing in round four. Gamboa's crazy recklessness against a quality fighter, even when badly hurt, was just...crazy. Yuri's decision to train himself (let's face it, that's what was happening) was plain inadvisable.

Sadly, that may be true. It's hard to say because I'm not even sure what his actual weight is at this stage. He is clearly too small for 135, but he's put the size on and in his early 30's I don't know if he can get it off without killing his body.

Inactivity in the conditioning department was there, his movement slowed and he got more flat-footed but it didn't seem to be a problem in the actual skill side of things, he didn't show any ring rust and looked sharp. The recklessness is just waiting to explode out at any given moment, it got him hurt and instead of moving to clear his head, he went right at the bigger man and exchanged some more...crazy and costly, but it's his mind-set.

All in all, I actually take many positives from tonight knowing that the talent is still all there along with the desire to fight. A few good decisions at this moment and I think he can still do good things.

Comment

It's not that bad to lose, if you know you gave it your all, left it all in the ring. Gamboa has nothing to be ashamed of, in fact, he has probably gained more fans than before. It's an ok way to lose.

Now, let him go back to the weight class where he belongs. He has lost virtually every physical attribute that he used as an advantage against his opponents.

Everyone likes to emulate manny pacquiao's masterful climb to the weigh classes, they seem to forget that he is that only one guy that ever did it, no one ever did in the history of boxing. So good, that a fellow best boxer unfairly accused him that he was using a banned substance, just because he is that good.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
                    He went out like a soldier. Grabbed his nuts, and said, **** it.........
                    ^^^^^^
                    This

Gamboa went out like a soldier, no shame in that loss. Hope Gamboa can get more big fights at the lower weights, 135 isn't for him.

I was rooting for Gamboa but Props to Crawford nice win for him

Comment

Working...
                    X