No announcement yet.

Can Miguel Cotto Still Make 147lbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Miguel Cotto Still Make 147lbs?

Being as the 154lb division isn't filled with big marquee fights besides a Canelo fight, Where does Cotto go from here? I've always believed since he went to 154 that he chose to go to 154 because he chose to make it easier on himself making weight, but he's still pretty small for a Jr Middleweight. With the Welterweight division as it is with fighters like Bradley, Ortiz, Berto, Guerrero, and a dream match with Marquez and Cotto maybe having a slim chance of happening (we can only hope), wouldn't it be more beneficial (at least financially) to venture back to 147? I just have a tough time believing he can't make the weight more than not wanting to.

Thoughts?
    Yes
    64.44%
    No
    35.56%

The poll is expired.

it was dumb of him to leave the weight berto,ortiz,alexander,maidana,bradley so many guys he can get legitimate wins over but he maybe he wanted to be a 3 division champ.

Comment

Put it this way. He turned down millions of dollars for a Pacquiao rematch because he didn't want to drain himself below 150. How can he all of the sudden make 147 with no problem?

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
        it was dumb of him to leave the weight berto,ortiz,alexander,maidana,bradley so many guys he can get legitimate wins over but he maybe he wanted to be a 3 division champ.
        Yea I still think a fight with Bradley would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Put it this way. He turned down millions of dollars for a Pacquiao rematch because he didn't want to drain himself below 150. How can he all of the sudden make 147 with no problem?
          Fair point as well.

Comment

He really should be at WW. I agree, I think he's trying to make it easier on himself and that's the only reason he moved up. He should've stayed at WW he's small for 154. I think he's able to make 147 but I'm not sure how much that would take out of him. If he wants to continue to win he should hire a good strength and conditioning coach and move down to 147.

Comment

There's a difference between can't make the weight and don't want to make the weight.

Miguel always comes in at 154 carrying excess bodyfat, he could certainly shave another 3-4lbs off that without difficulty. That would still leave another few lbs to get off, could he do that? I believe so, but he would have to stop himself going way up in weight between fights like he does.

Comment

He can but I dont think he has the desire to work that hard to get their.

Comment

Gotta love that not too long ago most of his fanatics that went on vacation were saying he can go to 160 and rule there. How times change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    Gotta love that not too long ago most of his fanatics that went on vacation were saying he can go to 160 and rule there. How times change.
                    I've always thought him going to 160 was suicide.

Comment

Working...
                    X