Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you dudes practice amateur observational astronomy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you dudes practice amateur observational astronomy?

Do any of you dudes practice amateur observational astronomy? If so, let's talk about it. I would like to get into astro-photography, but I don't really know too much about it. I know I have to get a motor so the scope can move along with earth's rotation, some kind of camera adapter to sit on telescope eyepiece slot, and the camera itself. There is a telescope store a couple of miles away and I like to go talk to those dudes about this hobby. I am learning how to read sky charts, with respect to coordinates in right ascension and declination. I have practiced this before and was able to find Uranus, it was just a blue-green dot. I love it. I would like to take my telescope to Joshua Tree, a desert, so I can see the night sky as it should be viewed. Yesterday, I looked at Jupiter, the Moon, and the Orion Nebula. But, everything looks like **** in the city sky. My other target is the Andromeda Galaxy (M31). I am sure there are target objects that are recommended for beginners. I will buy amateur astronomy books, I guess. I am taking an optics class (Physics III) next semester, so I can learn more about this stuff. Whatever.

I have this telescope....

These are pictures people took with the same telescope I have...

Andromeda (M31)

Orion Nebula(M42)

Pleiades(M45)

Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
    Do any of you dudes practice amateur observational astronomy? If so, let's talk about it. I would like to get into astro-photography, but I don't really know too much about it. I know I have to get a motor so the scope can move along with earth's rotation, some kind of camera adapter to sit on telescope eyepiece slot, and the camera itself. There is a telescope store a couple of miles away and I like to go talk to those dudes about this hobby. I am learning how to read sky charts, with respect to coordinates in right ascension and declination. I have practiced this before and was able to find Uranus, it was just a blue-green dot. I love it. I would like to take my telescope to Joshua Tree, a desert, so I can see the night sky as it should be viewed. Yesterday, I looked at Jupiter, the Moon, and the Orion Nebula. But, everything looks like **** in the city sky. My other target is the Andromeda Galaxy (M31). I am sure there are target objects that are recommended for beginners. I will buy amateur astronomy books, I guess. I am taking an optics class (Physics III) next semester, so I can learn more about this stuff. Whatever.

Andromeda (M31)

Orion Nebula(M42)

Pleiades(M45)
    Those are cool pics. have you seen anything flying around out of this world?

Comment

Originally posted by !! AI-Holmes!! View Post
      Those are cool pics. have you seen anything flying around out of this world?
      Well, I have seen a lot of stuff that zips by when I am looking through the scope, however I am assuming they are satellites. It is pretty cool, though. I have seen a lot of cool stuff in the sky, and I always jump to conclusions and say they are UFOs because I have that right.

Comment

wow im jealous man,i always wanted a telescope but i want a real good one but really dont have the spare cash to buy a top of the range one

Comment

andromeda looks fuking awesome by the way really cool

Comment

Originally posted by the collector View Post
            andromeda looks fuking awesome by the way really cool
            Thanks, the telescope I bought was like $400-$500. I think it is a good telescope. The good ones are like $1,000-$2,000, but there are some that go into the $10,000+ range. It is a serious hobby, though. There are a lot of great telescopes, though, so you should find a local telescope store and go talk to them to see what they can set you up with.
            Last edited by Null; 12-21-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks, the telescope I bought was like $400-$500. I think it is a good telescope. The good ones are like $1,000-$2,000, but there are some that go into the $10,000+ range. It is a serious hobby, though. There are a lot of great telescopes, though, so you should find a local telescope store and go talk to them to see what they can set you up with.
              my wife was gonna buy me one for christmas but she didnt,got a fuking 3d tv instead was not happy.how far is the range on yours?

Comment

Some other interesting stuff:

M13 and M3 (globular clusters)

M81 and M101 (spiral galaxies)

Albireo and 61 Cygni (binary stars)

Comment

Andromeda (M31)

Orion Nebula(M42)

Pleiades(M45)
                  It's clearly better than my scope. Those are very good photos.

Comment

thanks for info, very interested to start this hobby.

Comment

Working...
                    X