Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can a boxer become as strong as a powerlifter through strength training??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a boxer become as strong as a powerlifter through strength training??

hey I was just wondering is it possible for a boxer to work his way up to a really strong 5 plate-squat/300 bench/ or deadlift just by lifting weights twice a week?? Reason I'm asking is cuz I got this friend of mine who won't shut up about how much he can lift now. I used to lift more then him before I took up boxing and gave up weight lifting, but now I'm thinking of focusing a bit more on strength training, just to break his ego. I'm just wondering though, since I still wna compete in boxing, can I get really strong without sacrificing speed,endurance,power etc.???

dum question. no, boxers are usually weak, just hav quick hands.

Comment

Originally posted by IronNick View Post

Stop talking ****.

Comment

Originally posted by IronNick View Post

Yeah lots of weaklings like this fellow.

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post

Yeah lots of weaklings like this fellow.
          Haha

But boxing is different than powerlifting man. Besides, in my opinion, maximal strength isn't all that great. There's a reason why none of the best boxers were big bodybuilding meatheads.

Comment

Tell your friend to put some gloves on and go a few rounds. And when hes gassed a minute into the first round, ask him to brag then.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
              Haha

But boxing is different than powerlifting man. Besides, in my opinion, maximal strength isn't all that great. There's a reason why none of the best boxers were big bodybuilding meatheads.
              I agree, it's only beneficial to a point. It's all about functional strength as far as boxing is concerned. Training to make yourself look like a bodybuilder isn't going to help your boxing; all it will do is slow you down and gas you out quicker. But the fellow that said boxers couldn't be physically was obviously talking nonsense. Lots of boxers can still bench press, squat, deadlift etc huge amounts.

Comment

Why do you let your friend's bragging about a bench press get to you? Isn't it any boost to your ego that since you've taken up boxing and he just weightlifts you could most likely kick his ass?

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                  Haha

Damn you small kid! And your right arm is bigger then your left.

Comment

Originally posted by EMPOROAR View Post
                    Damn you small kid! And your right arm is bigger then your left.
                    what can I say...:wank:

hahaha

Comment

Working...
                    X