Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone thought about it this way concerning GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People keep saying **** like this & I just don't know what GGG's fault could be here. It seems like guys are doing everything in their power to avoid fighting him. Is he supposed to agree to fight with one hand behind his hand every odd numbered round? Is he suppose to push fights out indefinitely as he gets older & older. And I can see some of the dispute on the other side with the juice not being worth the squeeze & why fight someone in a 50/50 fight when you can fight a 90/10 fight like Canelo vs Khan & get as much or more money. Cuz the reality is boxing is more of a business than a sport at the levels we talk about mostly in this forum.

And granted I don't got the answer outside of GGG's potential opponents manning up, but I can't fault GGG with much of anything. If anything it seems like it'd pay if he wasn't such a decent person. It seems like maybe he'd have scored this fight if he tormented Canelo at every turn like some modern day Ali to Liston type stuff. If he'd had punched Oscar &/or Canelo in the ring after the Khan victory. If he changed his nickname to "Canelo P#ssifier" & wear a sombrero in the ring ala Roger & Floyd. In a lot of ways GGG being a humble & talented boxer & not much else isn't probably working for him. And I don't think being a Ukrainian in the US is helping much either. Like it or not the only non-American or Latinos who've become bigger draws in boxing are a HW (Lennox) or a 8 division champion & an entertaining warrior with a carefree, likeable personality who enjoys karaoke (Manny).

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
      Unification is nice. But not when you're 34. Time isn't on his side. Take a look at Jermall Charlo. He's probably moving up after this fight tonight. A fight with GGG is probably 2-3 years away. Guys aren't fighting 4-5 times a year so it takes them longer to move up the rankings.
      I actually think Jermall Climbs the rankings quite quickly. I think he beats Johnson (IBF) Heiland(WBC) Blanco (WBA intrim) and they all number 1 contenders..

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
        We'll see how it goes when it gets to that point but all access to the middleweight championship goes through him now. Just as Kovalev is the gatekeeper at LHW, Stevenson is an afterthought.
        No, even with most thinking Kovalev is the man, Adonis is STILL the lineal.

And lately, I hear a few who even like Stevenson in the fight.

Me? I think if Ward is truly adapted to the division after his next fight, he beats them both.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            Well..that only applies to the guys with no REAL name recognition. BJS can hide away and fight in the UK for ever and make a decent living. Danny Jacobs can try to busy himself up until GGG shows some give. Canelo is 25 and the biggest name in the sport not named Pac/Floyd...and he's Mexican..he'll keep selling and dude could literally wait another 3-4 years if he wished and it is doubtful GGG, with his activity and age will be the same in 4 years time. Canelo can take his fights. Now, where it gets interesting is how long can the 154 pounders wanting to move up hold off? How long can they kill themselves to make 154 a few years from now? I mean..what's the point of vacating a title at 54 (for example) if you dont want to fight for one at 160 cuz GGG holds it? Nobody is going to move up a division and fight GGG in their first or second fight..

The only thing we can pray for is Oscar mans up and lets Canelo in with GGG and hope for the best. If its hard fought and Canelo does well even in defeat, it'll give others hope that Canelo at the very least softened up GGG or something crazy.. It'll also be worth it money wise for guys to get in. Nobody is going to get into him for a relatively small purse. Why? Because they'll likely lose in a manner that shows the world they'll reach the peak of the division as long as GGG is there. Lemieux had some nice buzz about him but after being embarassed we know his ceiling. Nothing he does will likely every be taken as serious because everythin will end with "yeah well he cant beat GGG so who cares?" It's career suicide for guys without the following of a Cotto or Canelo. Not in a retirement sense just in the we know how far you can go and where the road stops.

But until GGG gets Canelo and beats him he'll just be the other guy. He'll run out of opponents that the public will bother wanting to watch and have to move up. GGG getting all the titles actually would work against him. He's going to freeze the division. Jacobs and BJS are making respectable purses..they'll be in no hurry and until Canelo loses..the lineal championship will be what eludes GGG and what everyone will fight for when GGG has all the other belts.

Marvin Hagler is one of my top 5 favorite all time guys so I have no issue with a champion staying at 1 weight class...but I'm (and most of us here) aren't "typical" boxing fans..some of us have competed and others are die-hard fans/historians. That's not everyone though and people will eventually want him at 68. People will say "Canelo went up" or "Bhop went up" - "Sergio moved up" "Floyd moved up" "Pac moved up" "Ward moved up" "chocolatito moved up" etc etc.

Unfortunately, GGG just showed his class too early and didn't build his fanbase to go along with his talent. Traditionally, avoided guys start seeking out other avoided guys to fight ala Sergio and P Will and endear themselves to the fans. In this day and age GGG is going to have to give weight wise to make a couple fights.

GGG is in the unfortunate spot of having devalued titles. No fighter is dying to give him all the advantages and move up completely or down completely for his "belts" because it's seen as "yeah but he beat no one for them"

GGG may as well be holding 4 grenades with no pins... Beating GGG NOW would be mighty impressive..but beating a GGG who beat SOMEONE is what matters.

Neither team ggg or the other promoters are daring enough for the risk. Team ggg in securing the name, any means necessary and the ward/canelos or 68 champs aren't dumb enough to give GGG everything he wants. You cant have your cake and eat it too and team ggg is finding this out very quick.
            Best answer ever. I understand exactly what your thought pattern on him devaluing the belts. However I cannot hold him at fault for that. Geale and Canelo both vacated instead of fighting him (even though he fought Geale down the line) that isn't on him.

Comment

thing is you can never have all the titles,,the WBA will make a regular title..the WBC will make a regular and a interim champ..its just a joke these days

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                thing is you can never have all the titles,,the WBA will make a regular title..the WBC will make a regular and a interim champ..its just a joke these days
                WBA is unifying and doing away with multiple titles. WBC just did the same with Canelo vacating...

Comment

Originally posted by AneesMoha View Post
                  Best answer ever. I understand exactly what your thought pattern on him devaluing the belts. However I cannot hold him at fault for that. Geale and Canelo both vacated instead of fighting him (even though he fought Geale down the line) that isn't on him.
                  You're right. It isn't GGG's fault but thats the way the fight game is as a business. Sure, Jacobs and BJS can make more money fighting GGG...or a little less but have winable fights. Once they lose to GGG the pay will decrease. One slightly better payday against GGG and a big dropoff in prestige and pay immediately after vs a steady stream of slightly less paydays which adds up to more after 2 fights. Ggg right now is at best a cashout fight for them. They wont do it unless they have to. Sucks but thats what happens when you look like a prime tyson (not literally but you get the meaning) and sell like an early bhop.

Team GGG hasnt put down for their fighter and made big fights even at a disadvantage. It's the right thing to do by your fighter..morally. But the fight game isn't fair and you have to take everything by force. Canelo for example is bigger than the titles. Hundreds of thousands will pay to watch him fight a subpar welter. Think they care if he has the 160 belt?

Now everyone is just going to look at GGG and wonder who the hell (insert randon mandatories) that is? Ggg needs these other guys and he finds himself in the unfortunate spot of not being needed. He's going to have to make himself easily accesible. Fight Lara at 58 even if Lara wants 160. Show guys that if they want it, he'll meet you halfway. Don't start rejecting 155 while saying you'd make 154 for a big fight...meanwhile 155 is the biggest fight he'll EVER have. Lets not fool ourselves.. Canelo would be his signature win forever because with Ward gone he has to basically hope someone does big things at 68 or 54 and gives him a shot..and this would take years for a Charlo or Zurdo or someone to make a big name of themselves.

I feel bad for GGG as a fighter but his team has dug themselves into this.
                  Last edited by NearHypnos; 05-21-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I can't believe we live in a time where some boxing fans don't even care about being undisputed champion. We've always complained there are too many champions etc, well, unifying is the ultimate answer. And some people actually criticize Golovkin for wanting that? I always thought that was the goal, to show you alone are champion and the best.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                      I can't believe we live in a time where some boxing fans don't even care about being undisputed champion. We've always complained there are too many champions etc, well, unifying is the ultimate answer. And some people actually criticize Golovkin for wanting that? I always thought that was the goal, to show you alone are champion and the best.

B-Hop is the man - the problem with this example is that Bernard Hopkins had a good list of names on his way to being undisputed.

Comment

Working...
                      X