No announcement yet.

Dibella rejects Pirog Offer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    Im a Martinez groupie and I think he should fight Pirog. Of course I see where they're coming from. Doesnt make it any less of a duck if they go down that route.
    Depends on what kind of duck you categorize it as.

If it's a fear kind of duck, I doubt it.

An un-wise business decision duck, then I agree..

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post

Blurring the lines between sport and business... it definitely categorizes as a "we think this guy has a chance of beating our guy" duck, though.

Comment

Ehh... not really.

Read the details.

No US Tv.

Martinez has to fight in Russia.

It's not THAT much more than he's making here.

Doesn't actually seem worth it, tbh.
        Probably not a tremendous deal considering what he's already got coming anyway. However when there's been so much talk from Martinez and Company about other people's business decisions, yours will get scrutinized more heavily. This would look better if Dibella could suggest some alternative for them to fight in the US.

Comment

Fear of losing? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            Fear of losing? Maybe.
            I'd say an elevated risk of losing without an elevated amount of pay for that risk.

Sounds like a business decision.

Comment

I'd say an elevated risk of losing without an elevated amount of pay for that risk.

Sounds like a business decision.
              Definitely a business decision. However it's coming from a team that has criticized several other fighters for making the exact same business decision, which is resulting in people looking at Martinez/Dibella as somewhat of a hypocrite.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this decision, but Dibella should probably quiet up a bit with pretending like everyone but him is the bad guy in this sport.

Comment

So what?

How much more?

A few hundred grand?

As the MW champion he should travel to Russia and defend his championship for a few hundred grand more?

I understand the sport, as a sport, and as a business... As a sport, he needs to fight Pirog. As a business it makes zero sense to travel to Russia and risk your championship for a few hundred grand more..

who said he needs to travel to russia to fight pirog? and nobody is questioning what you understand about the sport. this is about an offer from pirog's team for martinez to fight in russia. is martinez obliged to accept it? absolutely not. they can make a counter offer though if they want the fight in the US. however, it looks like martinez's team are not interested to take the fight. again, that's their right to pick the fight they like but you can't blame fans for criticizing martinez and his team for their hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
                  who said he needs to travel to russia to fight pirog? and nobody is questioning what you understand about the sport. this is about an offer from pirog's team for martinez to fight in russia.
                  I know what it's about, and that's what I was posting about.

So uh, what?

I also don't need to be questioned about something in order for me to make a statement about it.

is martinez obliged to accept it? absolutely not. they can make a counter offer though if they want the fight in the US. however, it looks like martinez's team are not interested to take the fight. again, that's their right to pick the fight they like but you can't blame fans for criticizing martinez and his team for their hypocrisy.
                  I don't blame anyone for hating on DiBellas hypocrisy... considering I've already said that in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
                    Definitely a business decision. However it's coming from a team that has criticized several other fighters for making the exact same business decision, which is resulting in people looking at Martinez/Dibella as somewhat of a hypocrite.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this decision, but Dibella should probably quiet up a bit with pretending like everyone but him is the bad guy in this sport.
                    Agree with that 110%, DiBella should seemingly never criticize Arum again.

Comment

• Originally posted by brick wall View Post
                      who said he needs to travel to russia to fight pirog? and nobody is questioning what you understand about the sport. this is about an offer from pirog's team for martinez to fight in russia. is martinez obliged to accept it? absolutely not. they can make a counter offer though if they want the fight in the US. however, it looks like martinez's team are not interested to take the fight. again, that's their right to pick the fight they like but you can't blame fans for criticizing martinez and his team for their hypocrisy.
                      I like DiBella, but for the last few months he's been playing this holier than though card. It's becoming more obvious that he's running the exact same business model as every other promoter.

I see no problem with him lining up Andy Lee or Matt Macklin in the Garden on St Paddy's Day. Make some dollars and eventually match Martinez with Pirog on your own terms. But don't go around acting like everyone else is being unfair by attempting to maximize profits when you are doing the exact same thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X