No announcement yet.

Boxing weight lifting workout for me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5x5 10-8-6 15-12-10

None of that matters. A common MISconception in gyms is that ohh I am looking to put on some muscle so I need to lift weights. I know heavyweights at my gym who dont lift a weight period. A lot of guys are like this.

The key to this is that lifting weights isnt going to put mass on you in order to gain muscle mass your diet has to be in check.

I go with 5x5 on my program and use with my fighters and make them lift a lot lighter than they could because I have seen to many guys come and go who thought weights was the answer and they would have a balanced lifting routine but the problem is that they gassed them out and made their arms a lot weaker as the fight/sparring sessions move along.

I could gain lean muscle mass by doing calisthenics and upping my calorie intake.

Go eat some steak and chicken.

Comment

PunchDrunk, it's amazing. But this was before any serious lifting. The book "Starting Strength" by mark Ripptoe is the best $20 I ever used. It has the 3 day routine. I gained 50 lbs. on it, 2 of my other friends gained 60 lbs., 1 kid gained 70 lbs. but he's a genetic freak, and the rest of the team gained about 40 lbs.

It sounds a lot but this is a great program and we ate a lot during it.

Spinks, are you referring that to me? You don't need to. That might work for you but please don't tell me what to do with myself, I know what works for me and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NJFighter91
        PunchDrunk, it's amazing. But this was before any serious lifting. The book "Starting Strength" by mark Ripptoe is the best $20 I ever used. It has the 3 day routine. I gained 50 lbs. on it, 2 of my other friends gained 60 lbs., 1 kid gained 70 lbs. but he's a genetic freak, and the rest of the team gained about 40 lbs.

It sounds a lot but this is a great program and we ate a lot during it.

Spinks, are you referring that to me? You don't need to. That might work for you but please don't tell me what to do with myself, I know what works for me and what doesn't.

The only thing I am trying to tell you is that lifting weights isnt going to put weight on you. It is the food you eat.

Comment

Originally posted by spinksjinx
          The only thing I am trying to tell you is that lifting weights isnt going to put weight on you. It is the food you eat.
          Ok, I'm cool with that and understand that. But I'm saying he should do a Westside principle split so he can add in the explosive days. 5x5 is good for both strenght and size but I wouldn't do it for more than just the beginning because you would be loseing explosiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by NJFighter91
            Ok, I'm cool with that and understand that. But I'm saying he should do a Westside principle split so he can add in the explosive days. 5x5 is good for both strenght and size but I wouldn't do it for more than just the beginning because you would be loseing explosiveness.

Each body responds differently. He might not be able to maintain a higher rep and would be weak which could carry over into his workouts.

While none of us preach gospel on these boards because we never get to actually work with the person asking for advice and know their strengths and weaknesses. What he needs to do is gather up all of the information and see what works and makes him feel the best.

It took me 3 years to find the perfect routine for me and when I work with fighters in the gym I dont give them the same routine. I never train two guys the same, its impossible to do so and get the best out of them.

Comment

I definitely agree with most of what you said.

It took me 3 years to find the perfect routine for me and when I work with fighters in the gym I dont give them the same routine. I never train two guys the same, its impossible to do so and get the best out of them.
              I'd go one step further and say THERE IS NO PERFECT ROUTINE. No routine (which means that it's static, it doesn't change), is going to be effective for a longer period. As you adapt to it, effects are gonna decrease, and you'll hit a plateau, no matter what the wanted effect is.

Well, not quite. The combination of both will do it. Sit in an armchair and eat, will get you nothing but added bodyfat. No amount of eating without training will get you muscle mass, just like no amount of training without eating will get you muscle mass.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
                I definitely agree with most of what you said.

Well, not quite. The combination of both will do it. Sit in an armchair and eat, will get you nothing but added bodyfat. No amount of eating without training will get you muscle mass, just like no amount of training without eating will get you muscle mass.
                I wasnt implying that if you eat and sat you would build muscle, I was saying if you just lift but dont eat enough food and get in the correct amount of protein/carbs/fat then you will gain nothing.

I could go on a "mass building" lifting routine but only take in 500-1000 calories a day and wouldnt gain squat.

Of course they go best in a combination but you dont need weights to gain lean muscle mass....Look at Marvin Hagler that guy just loved running/calisthenics/bag work and he was built like a brick wall.

Comment

Well as mentioned diet is a major part of gaing muscle.

All I do is body weight exercises (pushups, chins ups, vertical pushups etc etc, and lots of em)basketball and soccer and I have been steadily putting on lean muscle.

I havent lifted weights in ages. I used to in school, but that never did **** for me in respect to gaining weight. Cause I eat like **** back then. One meal a day and snacks in between.

You just have to eat 3 PROPER meals a day. With lots of protein in each. For example chicken breasts with rice for dinner, a steak or some sausages for supper.

Comment

Don't lift weights. If you want to increase the intensity you can use weighted gloves, but I would say avoid that too. Work on speed. Work on snapping the punches at the bag and always keeping your balance. Make sure you have good gloves and learn how to wrap well. Use the longer wraps and srap the wrist twice. Take care of your hands, especially your wrists. And spar a lot. Oh yeah and spar a lot. Did I mention, spar a lot?

Weight lifting helps very little, if at all and only after you've gotten real good.

Comment

Of course they go best in a combination but you dont need weights to gain lean muscle mass....Look at Marvin Hagler that guy just loved running/calisthenics/bag work and he was built like a brick wall.
                      Exactly. That's why I used the term training.

Comment

Working...
                      X