No announcement yet.

That crowd last night...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
    So when the white ppl show up for a black fighter, they're desperate but if they didn't show up, ppl would have said they're discriminating or something like that. Smh lose lose situation.
    Because its freaking Nebraska! What else were you expecting? Maybe boxing needs to do stuff like this more to gain more white fans. In the long run its better for everyone.

Comment

You could tell that crowd was hungry for a big bout and boy did they deliver.

Comment

The crowd was amazing. Added so much to the fight to hear them support Crawford that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          The crowd was amazing. Added so much to the fight to hear them support Crawford that way.
          It felt like the crowd was into it at every exchange..Both fighters were so engage into each other and the crowd was so engage onto the fighters..Great night,even the undercard was good imo..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
            It felt like the crowd was into it at every exchange..Both fighters were so engage into each other and the crowd was so engage onto the fighters..Great night,even the undercard was good imo..
            Ugh, the Korobov fight sucked.

Comment

Must've been one of the biggest sports weeks in Omaha ever with the CWS and a world title fight. That crowd at the fight was awesome.

Comment

If anybody remembers the Antonio DeMarco-Reyes Sanchez fight in 2011, Nebraska is passionate about their boxing.

Top Rank is the absolute dumbest promotional company in the world if Crawford's next fight doesn't take place in Nebraska.

11K in Nebraska last night? Imagine the potential after last night's performance. Good for Terrence.
                Last edited by Pigeons; 06-29-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

It was awesome to see. It was why I switched from wanting Yuri to win to then wanting Terrence to win because it would have been such a shame to see a young fighter lose like that in front of that crowd.

I understand that America is different to Britain when it comes to boxing but any decent British fighter will get a solid following pretty quick. Whereas fighters like Ward and Bradley can't seem to draw anything in America, which is incredibly unlucky because if they were British, they would have huge followings. So these guys are essentially penalised due to geography.

But I also think promoters don't do enough to cultivate followings for young fighters in their home town. I think they're happy to accept big site fees for locations which don't allow for a fighter to build a fanbase, particularly in their town. It's in the job title - PROMOTE.

Comment

I drove up from KC to Omaha for the fight last night, and yes, it was a great night for boxing and a great night for Omaha. There was an absolute buzz around the city all day yesterday while my wife and I hit up the bars around the downtown area. Everyone knew what was going on and seemed excited. The venue itself, CenturyLink, was quite surprising to me, and is an awesome venue for fights and I will be shocked if HBO doesn't bring another card there soon. Michael Buffer actually got up right before the fight and expressed how impressed he and HBO was with Omaha, and that barring how the title fight went, he would not be surprised if they are not back again soon.

I think final attendance was listed at right under 11,000, but the arena still probably held another 4-5,000. They had the entire top section blocked off. In reference to the fans that attended, it was definitely majority African Americans and Latinos. There were whites scattered, but not too many, which was actually surprising considering it is Nebraska.

I would like to see another card there with other Midwest fighters like Devon Alexander (being with GBP) or Brandon Rios on the undercard or even matching up with Crawford if he can grab a belt at 140 from Algieri.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      Ugh, the Korobov fight sucked.
                      I did not mind it..LMAO..The crowd was booing them lmao..

Comment

Working...
                      X