No announcement yet.

Britians next big things?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britians next big things?

A few years ago was arguably the mantle and the golden age of British boxing, when the likes of Eubanks, Benn, Collins and Lewis took the world by storm, then they were replaced with two of the biggest names in the sport throughout the last decade in Hatton and Calzaghe, but in recent times it seems only David Haye and Carl Froch are lying about, and I don’t think apart from Haye they are that charismatic, but who out of these fighters below are the serious ones to watch and potential super stars. I know Amir Khan has a world title, but will the others big bigger than him in a few years time. I have put them in order of how big I think they will be. If there are any I have missed from the British scene, be my guest and let me know. A lot of these fighters are wither undefeated or have only lost a couple of bouts, I know they are young but I am an optimist.

1) Kevin Mitchell – Junior Welter
    2) Nathan Cleverly – Light Heavy
    3) Frankie Gavin - Light Welter
    4) Amir Khan - Light Welter
    5) Matthew Macklin - Light Middle
    6) James DeGale - Super Middle
    7) Kell Brook - Welter
    8) John Murray - Lightweight
    9) Rendall Munroe – super bantam
    10) Billy Joe Saunders – Super middle

I think Kevin Mitchell is the most promising prospect and I fully expect him to beat Katsidis with his clever boxing. I think he is the kind of fighter the stateside fans will love to watch. Nathan Cleverly almost took the number one; I think the comparison to Calzaghe is a bit unfair, for a number of different reasons. I know he is fast with his hands, but that kind of pressure to replace Joe is too much I believe, and I think he carries more power than Joe did as well. I think he will be world champion. Frankie Gavin is another fast striker, and I have watched this kid live. He is very intelligent and throws a lot of combos and avoids being hit. He isn’t the KO fighter yet, but I think he can be. Khan is at four, it all depends on the big names he gets to fight, and whether or not he gets hit and how he behaves against a big puncher. Macklin is another Birmingham fighter I have watched, although I don’t think in Gavin’s class I think he can be a decent contender if not a champion.
    The rest would take up too much space to talk about, but seeing as there a lot of similar weights in there; I think a lot of these fighters can make the jump to each others divisions. I can see the next ten years being Britain most successful time in boxing; there I say if they all continue to develop – a domination of the boxing world.

I wouldn't have John Murray there tbh.

Comment

where is George Groves on your list? IMO he is as good a prospect if not better than DeGale.

Comment

George Groves pisses all over DeGale!

Comment

John Murray too inactive, people are moving onwards and upwards around him.

Comment

I would defintely go with Kell brooks and Kevin mitchell..

Comment

Working...
            X