Cotto-Gomez First Press Conferance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto-Gomez First Press Conferance

[IMG]http://www.*********.com/MC-Gomez1.jpg[/IMG]

Undefeated WBA welterweight world champion Miguel Cotto (31-0, 25 KOs) and Contender star Alfonso Gomez (18-3-2, 8 KOs) faced off today during a press conference at the ritzy Hotel Gansevoort in New York City to officially announce their April 12 clash at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City and telecast on HBO's World Championship Boxing.

"At this point of my career all my fights are important," stressed Cotto. "I don't care if I'm the favorite or not, all I know is that I'm coming to win. I expect to train a hundred percent and I'm going out of the ring the same way I came up into the ring: as the world champion.....I had a great 2007 and I want an even better 2008."

"I know I'll be hungrier than Cotto," stated Gomez. "Cotto has made millions of dollars in the ring. He has been a world champion for a long time. I know he has hunger, but not like mine. When I first started boxing, I visiualized myself standing at a podium like I am today, talking about fighting for a world title. Cotto is a great, strong champion. He hits very hard to the body, but I'll be more hungrier and I will beat him. I'll be announced as the world champion on April 12th!"

Also on hand was a passionate IBF welterweight champion Kermit Cintron (29-1, 27 KOs), who is already chomping on the bit for his rematch with Antonio Margarito. "I've been waiting a long time to get my hands back on Margarito. Emanuel Steward and I are working on my game plans. Margarito gave me my only loss and I will get it back on April 12th!"

If it goes past 5, it'll be a mircale for Gomez and a nightmare for Cotto

Comment

Seriously, what has Gomez shown us that makes him a threat to Cotto?

Sure he's game and he's all heart, but to be a threat the guy needs some skills to compete at Cotto's level.

Comment

See, this is what's wrong with boxing. We all know who should be fighting Cotto but too many fighters seem to want the easy payday.

I mean, Hatton and Mayweather's next bouts aren't exactly going to excite us. At least my man Alex Arthur is going up against a toughie in Joan Guzman.

Comment

I hope they both KO each other.
          Cotto, for taking this fight, and Gomez just so he won't become the new guy on the scene.

Comment

Everyone needs a tune up fight, you can't just fight top fighter's everytime. I see no problem with this fight and think it will be a nice tune up for Cotto on his way to fighting the winner or Cintron and Margarito. (hopefully Margarito)

Gomez has alot of heart and I love this kids attitude. I think he could make the fight alot tougher for Cotto if he had power but he doesn't. I think he can box with Cotto and many people will be suprised by that but he just doesn't have the fire power to stand in there with Cotto for 12 rounds.

I expect Gomez to box and move as much as he can, because if he stands in there with Cotto, it won't last long.

Comment

^i was hoping zab would be his tune-up for Cintron (dont hate, its only a hunch) , i'd still like to see zab n cotto back in the ring

Comment

I have no problem with this fight either.. The big fight is between Margarito and Cintron anyways.. Cotto's fight is just a tune-up.

Besides a lot of people are excited about seeing Gomez fighting him. My wife and her friends who are basically causal boxing fans are excited about seeing the ex-contender fight Cotto..

Just enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                  Everyone needs a tune up fight, you can't just fight top fighter's everytime. I see no problem with this fight and think it will be a nice tune up for Cotto on his way to fighting the winner or Cintron and Margarito. (hopefully Margarito)

Gomez has alot of heart and I love this kids attitude. I think he could make the fight alot tougher for Cotto if he had power but he doesn't. I think he can box with Cotto and many people will be suprised by that but he just doesn't have the fire power to stand in there with Cotto for 12 rounds.

I expect Gomez to box and move as much as he can, because if he stands in there with Cotto, it won't last long.
                  i think Gomez will have big problems with Cotto's movement and hand speed. Gomez will come into this trying to go to war with Cotto, the kids got a lot of heart, providing Cotto with a lot of openings. More than likely Cotto will move in and out and inflict a lot of damage and get a stoppage middle rounds. This fight could have some fireworks in it tho. Cotto seems to be building a lot of confidence in some of his more recent interviews. This isnt always a good thing especially if he tries to walk all over Gomez like a chump.

Comment

Originally posted by Unanimous View Post
                    See, this is what's wrong with boxing. We all know who should be fighting Cotto but too many fighters seem to want the easy payday.

I mean, Hatton and Mayweather's next bouts aren't exactly going to excite us. At least my man Alex Arthur is going up against a toughie in Joan Guzman.
                    cotto is only taking this fight because floyd wont fight him. All the other top welters were booked.

Comment

Working...
                    X