Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was HBO trying to make Manny Pacquiao vs. Prince Naseem Hamed in 2003

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manny Pacquiao at 122lbs in 2000, closer to Naz's prime...

Comment

Naz wud have washed Pac

Also people talk as if Barrera battered Naz, it wasnt a one sided fight, it was competitive

It just came to late in Naz career, his hunger was gone, his hands were shot and his ego was out of control..coming back from a back injury as well as weight problems...the guy had a horrible camp

and yes many boxers ducked Naz when he was in his prime, this is documented fact,
      Last edited by FrankieBruno; 06-10-2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Prime for prime I'd take naz to win from 122-126...better chin, hit harder even more unorthodox n could counter well

Comment

Originally posted by mneronava2k View Post
          Look, man, bottom line: After all is said and done Marquez will be known as a guy who fought everyone, brought entertaining fights, a high level of craft, and serious heart to the game. He was champ in several weight classes, jumped up two weight classes to fight the pound for pound best fighter of our generation, and knocked out the second best fighter In recent history.

Hamed is known for an unfulfilled career. He was beaten by Barrera (a guy Marquez beat) and retired from boxing.

Now, if we are going to really debate who has the bigger heart? who is more fearless? who fought more guys? And ultimately: is it likely that Hamed ducked Marquez? Or did Marquez duck Hamed?
          You just don't have history, facts, or common sense on your side.

Marquez will retire as a competitor. Hamed has retired basically known as a guy who retired after being beaten.

So, who do you really think ducked who?

So does Naz beat Pac or nah?

Comment

As a Yemeni guy myself with some family in Sheffield who were crazy hyped about this dude, let me say that I was biting my tongue all the time around them. I just wanted to be like - yeah he's a fine fighter but he's overrated as **** and is duckin Marquez like the goddam plague - but I held it in.

Barrera exposed this dude hard. What could possibly make you think Naseem had any chance of wining against Pacquiao, the guy who obliterated Barrera on two occasions? Plus after that embarassing loss Naseem had a tuneup that he could barely hurt and won a very unexciting lopsided decision. If there was any year Hamed would beat Pacquiao it was definitely not 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
              So does Naz beat Pac or nah?
              No chance. Naz ain't shhhht. Again, he's the most overrated fighter of his generation. People ate up the hype.

Comment

Naz would have lost. At that point in his career the passion was gone and continuing would only muck up what he had already accomplished

Comment

Naz would've taken pac's head off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                    Juan Manuel Marquez conceded Friday that he turned down a fight with Prince Naseem Hamed, the World Boxing Organization featherweight champion.
                    Marquez, of Mexico City, will meet Daniel Jiminez of Puerto Rico in the 10-round featherweight main event Sunday at the Union Plaza. The six-bout card is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.

After being turned down by Marquez and reportedly others, Hamed went on to knock out Las Vegan Augie Sanchez in the fourth round Aug. 19 at Foxwoods in Mashantucket, Conn., in an HBO-televised fight.

"I had been waiting two years," said Marquez, speaking through a translator. "Now they want the fight. I wasn't prepared. They did not give me sufficient time to get prepared."
                    i remember this, marquez wanted sufficient time to train, not that he wasn't prepared to fight him. the meaning of his statement was lost in translation.

btw, didnt they wait for JMM to look horrible against norwood? (which jmm should've won)
                    Last edited by ramses07; 06-11-2015, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X