Clear All

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...sc-B8KD4OMmu2Q

Tommy Uren Defeats Fritz Holland...... from the NZ truth
    Last edited by McGoorty; 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM. Reason: Vs Fritz Holland

Comment

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...0G2Myb-O2j5zYg

Comment

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ccWS5ik_drODfw
        Tommy Uren Defeats Fred Kay even after being knocked down for the first two times of his career.
        Last edited by McGoorty; 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM. Reason: relevant info

Comment

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...h-ZhUw3RGNX5Gg

Comment

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...o4UyMHc3zkkEZQ

Comment

This Tommy Uren was a real fighter eh,.... he was at least on a par with the brilliant LW Herb McCoy.

Comment

I'm sorry but I have to ask...how was this guys last name pronounced?
                Last edited by Scott9945; 10-16-2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  I'm sorry but I have to ask...how was this guys last name pronounced?
                  YEW-RENN.......................... YOO-RENNN....... As close as I can get it.... Myself ????... Being Australian,,,,, I just can't pronounce the name RAOUL......... it's me accent.... comes out as ROWL.

Comment

How would a Uren V Geale fight pan out...... come on blokes, there are eras before the 40's.

Comment

UREN AGAIN VICTORIOUS.
                      NZ Truth , Issue 760, 29 May 1920, Page 8
                      About this newspaper

Back to issue contents

Article view

UREN AGAIN VICTORIOUS.
                      Holland Tough and Game. ;' But Uren Too Clever. There was a very large attendance on 1 Monday night when the Australian welter and middleweight champion. Tommy Uren, met "Frits" Holland for a purse of £500. A The Town Hall seats 3000 people, but there must have been over this number there on Monday, and the audience included several of the fair sex. Uren scaled IO st 111 lb, and was esquired by his brothers, Toddy ana Havilah, while Fritz scaled list 31b, and was attended by "****" Crawford and Joe Straff on, the well-known constable, who has never yet preferred a charge of assault against an offender. Uren looked hard and well trained, but Holland appeared short of work,although he did not admit this. Both fighters received a. rousing reception from the crowd. The boxers started fighting; as soon as they met, but thero was little of note for the first eight rounds, but from this point to the Devils Round, where Holland scored freely with tsoeoo heavyweights, Uren had been in the lead, As usual, the latter was master of the infighting, wher he used his straight lett and got home to his opponent's. Jaw on Innumerable occasions. On one occasion, Holland swung his right across and missed, but on the return he caught Uren. In the 10th round Hollannd tried to upper-cut Uren. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In the tenth round, Holland tried to uppercut Uren, but though the blow was a vicious one, it was very late enfl UJren nodded his thanks for the let off. At the close of this ronnd Uren's left g'ove. which had split early. In the contest was replaced and the longer respite seemed to be relished by Fritz, who came up very fresh for the 11th round, and again in the 12th he got home at the beginning with a left to the Jaw and immediately followed It with another one and a. heavy right to tho body, all of which badly beat Uren's guard. In the fourteenth round, Uren piled up points and his victory, bar a knockout was assured. The final round saw both men very strong, but there was no damage done during the lap. When the gong went. Holland went to meet the Referee, ■but Tim scorned him, and crowned Uren. The verdict was correct During the fight there were some very fierce slams, • but they were mostly blocked and evaded, and at the latter art Uren shone and repeatedly made Holland miss badly. The latter •was always prepared to go m and fignt, and though ho got punished badly on occasions, he always came on looking for more. Some of his rigbta looked hard enough to stop a train but they aid not worry Uren, who bored and punched away at the ribs of Fritz. _ The fight was the best seen In Wellington and it was willing all through. Some very hard blows were exchanged m all tho rounds, but, as a "whole, It _ was a clean exhibition, BJid though both trt«a to get m little points at Omej^they were -sss? s e^ en^^xxs sr u^ thur CuTtayno introduced HavOah Uren and Eugene Volaire to the crowfl and both boys were wen receTretL

Comment

Working...
                      X