Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do some boxing analysts and commentators hurt our sport's popularity?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do some boxing analysts and commentators hurt our sport's popularity?

Have you ever noticed the commentators and analysts on TV for other sports are much more POSITIVE than some of the boxing commentators?

The MMA commentators try to build excitement, as do the hockey, football and basketball commentators and anaylsts.

But in boxing we need to listen to the negativity and constant bitching by people like Teddy Atlas, Wally Matthews, Max Kellerman and Al Bernstein. Oh, we have some good ones like Gus Johnson, Joe Tessitore, Manny Steward and Jim Lampley, but with every telecast we have some idiot bitching about referees' decisions, and either nuthugging or discrediting boxers.

Would boxing become more popular if they replaced some of the negative, biased commentators with better ones?
    Yes, the negativity of some commentators and anaysts probably turns people away
    56.52%
    No, it doesn't make any difference
    43.48%

The poll is expired.

The announcers speakin on the bad **** in boxing are just keepin it real. They ain't makin up the **** they complain about. I don't think the announcers have any bearing on the sport's popularity. They ***** cuz they luv boxing and don't like seein corruption n **** like that.

Comment

I don't think I really understand what you say.

Sometimes bitchn is good.Somebody has to talk about all the BS that happens in this sport.Watch the commentary on the Rahman vs Cawley ''fight'' if you call it that.
      And Jim Lampley with all due respect is just a chearleader in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
        The announcers speakin on the bad **** in boxing are just keepin it real. They ain't makin up the **** they complain about. I don't think the announcers have any bearing on the sport's popularity. They ***** cuz they luv boxing and don't like seein corruption n **** like that.
        Sometimes it sounds like they HATE boxing.

Bernstein, Matthews and Atlas often find stuff that isn't even real to ***** about.

For example, Bernstein is extremely biased against European and British fighters. He went on for an hour about Calzaghe-Mitchell being an early stoppage, but it wasn't. But he will never say anything when an American boxer wins a stoppage that's obviously a quick one.

Comment

I've love to see Jim Watt batter Max Kellerman.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
            Sometimes it sounds like they HATE boxing.

Bernstein, Matthews and Atlas often find stuff that isn't even real to ***** about.

For example, Bernstein is extremely biased against European and British fighters. He went on for an hour about Calzaghe-Mitchell being an early stoppage, but it wasn't. But he will never say anything when an American boxer wins a stoppage that's obviously a quick one.
            These guys do have annoyin moments criticizin/nuthuggin fighters they like/dislike. I wouldn't say this translates to them hatin the sport itself homey. Even if they do get irritatin wit some of their fanboyish or critical comments, that may cause some fans to mute the sound. If it's enuf to make em stop likin boxing they were never real fans to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by ellwise69 View Post
              I've love to see Jim Watt batter Max Kellerman.

Jim Watt is one of the best!

If by some miracle Jim Watt replaced Max Kellerman on HBO, their ratings would definitely improve.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                These guys do have annoyin moments criticizin/nuthuggin fighters they like/dislike. I wouldn't say this translates to them hatin the sport itself homey. Even if they do get irritatin wit some of their fanboyish or critical comments, that may cause some fans to mute the sound. If it's enuf to make em stop likin boxing they were never real fans to begin with.
                But I've persuaded people I work with to watch a boxing telecast, only to have them turned off by Teddy's negativity and stupidity.

The hard-core fans like you and I will never stop watching boxing, it's the new people that get turned away.

Comment

Have you ever noticed the commentators and analysts on TV for other sports are much more POSITIVE than some of the boxing commentators?

The MMA commentators try to build excitement, as do the hockey, football and basketball commentators and anaylsts.

But in boxing we need to listen to the negativity and constant bitching by people like Teddy Atlas, Wally Matthews, Max Kellerman and Al Bernstein. Oh, we have some good ones like Gus Johnson, Joe Tessitore, Manny Steward and Jim Lampley, but with every telecast we have some idiot bitching about referees' decisions, and either nuthugging or discrediting boxers.

Would boxing become more popular if they replaced some of the negative, biased commentators with better ones?
                  Let's not beat around the bush and say Boxing is at an all time high as far as fights being made, overall popularity, etc. Guys like Teddy, Joe, Jim Lampley, etc are literally in the sport and see the everyday workings that someone like you who is only a fan would constitute only as hate.

But the reality is, Boxing isn't this squeaky clean industry where everything is all good. I've always said that there are too many hands in the pot with these promoters and managers that prevent marquee fights from happening. The bureaucracy of the sport I always thought was bull****, but it also doesn't make me NOT want to watch a fight.
                  Last edited by Ravishing; 08-05-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Jim Watt is one of the best!

If by some miracle Jim Watt replaced Max Kellerman on HBO, their ratings would definitely improve.
                    He's ace int he!

Really knows what he's talking about.

Watt KO1 Kellerman.

Comment

Working...
                    X