Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sugar Ray Leonard: I Told Mayweather I Would Have Beat Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This fantasy match up comes up often on here, and i always go with the same guy...Sugar Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Fangedgrowl View Post
      Murka, Do you not realize that Ray at 147 was way faster hand and foot than Canelo. Common man! Ray arguably threw faster combos than Floyd and hit harder with one punch. Yes Floyd is probably the best ever at timing guys with one punch. , However 25 punches a round isn't going to win you a fight. That Jab of Rays would have kept Floyd off balance all night.
      Ray is just another fighter! Floyd has faced so many different styles that a guy from the 80's who is a LOWER level version of himself, would be extremely easy!

And I dont compare Floyd's speed to his opponents! I compare one version of Floyd to another version of Floyd, because he changes from fight to fight!

Marcos had good enough footwork to keep up with Floyd in the first fight! In the second, Floyd made him look too slow! Based off the second fight, I still felt Pac would be too much for Floyd! But when they fought, Floyd was in another gear! He made Pac look like a small, flatfooted, brawler with slow hands!

Canelo is just another fighter. His speed wasnt the problem! Mayweather makes everyone look too slow in all departments, and his reaction time is different from fight to fight!

Ray wouldnt land any jabs on Floyd! When he does jab, he brings his hand back too low, and he eats right hands too much! I think because he is a lower level version of Floyd, that it was be so easy and every single thing he did, would get capitalized on! SRL would simply stop in his tracks like a puppy being taught a lesson! Floyd is simply all wrong for someone like SRL!

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
        Ray is just another fighter! Floyd has faced so many different styles that a guy from the 80's who is a LOWER level version of himself, would be extremely easy!

And I dont compare Floyd's speed to his opponents! I compare one version of Floyd to another version of Floyd, because he changes from fight to fight!

Marcos had good enough footwork to keep up with Floyd in the first fight! In the second, Floyd made him look too slow! Based off the second fight, I still felt Pac would be too much for Floyd! But when they fought, Floyd was in another gear! He made Pac look like a small, flatfooted, brawler with slow hands!

Canelo is just another fighter. His speed wasnt the problem! Mayweather makes everyone look too slow in all departments, and his reaction time is different from fight to fight!

Ray wouldnt land any jabs on Floyd! When he does jab, he brings his hand back too low, and he eats right hands too much! I think because he is a lower level version of Floyd, that it was be so easy and every single thing he did, would get capitalized on! SRL would simply stop in his tracks like a puppy being taught a lesson! Floyd is simply all wrong for someone like SRL!

Ricky hattons speed of foot kept floyd going backwards all night. Ricky was smaller though.

Watch the fight. Ricky cut the ring off, Rickybwas faster than Floyd expected.

Now throw in Ray. Hes faster than Ricky and is bigger than both Floyd and Ricky.

Add to that Rays faster jab and longer reach.

Add to that the fact that @ 147 Ray can dance all night and not get touched. Whens the last time uve seen a corrales like performance from floyd when hes danced all night?

Floyd was deadly at 130lbs.
        I think 140lbs he was still a rooster.

At 147lbs, still phenomenal but less pop less speed, less spring.

Watch his fights @130lbs. With one spring backwards he would be half way across the other side of the ring. He was untouchable. He doesnt have that atb147lbs.

Ray moves better at this weight.

I say its a close as hell fight. Floyd is a natural winner. It can go either way. To say Ray automatically loses is not giving the man his credit and not being real.

Comment

• Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
          Ricky hattons speed of foot kept floyd going backwards all night. Ricky was smaller though.

Watch the fight. Ricky cut the ring off, Rickybwas faster than Floyd expected.

Now throw in Ray. Hes faster than Ricky and is bigger than both Floyd and Ricky.

Add to that Rays faster jab and longer reach.

Add to that the fact that @ 147 Ray can dance all night and not get touched. Whens the last time uve seen a corrales like performance from floyd when hes danced all night?

Floyd was deadly at 130lbs.
          I think 140lbs he was still a rooster.

At 147lbs, still phenomenal but less pop less speed, less spring.

Watch his fights @130lbs. With one spring backwards he would be half way across the other side of the ring. He was untouchable. He doesnt have that atb147lbs.

Ray moves better at this weight.

I say its a close as hell fight. Floyd is a natural winner. It can go either way. To say Ray automatically loses is not giving the man his credit and not being real.
          I dont rate Ricky as one of Floyd's most meaningful fights! Floyd has faced men way better and more awkward when he was PAST prime, and put on a show! Not only that, but Ray fights nothing like Ricky!

Ray is a taller, outdated, less skilled version of Floyd! Not only that but boxrec may list Floyd as being taller with longer arms than everyone he faced but thats absurdity!

Everyone Floyd faces, towers over him with much much longer arms! Pacman and JMM are the only opponents in recent yrs who were smaller!

Ray is not dancing against Floyd, thats craziness Lol Ray wouldnt be the taller faster guy! Floyd would be the smaller quicker man, with greater reaction time! Ray would look stuck in mud, fighting a hollagram of what he thought was another fighter!

And he would sit their trying to outFloyd, Floyd, which spells trouble!

And you ignored this so I will post it again;

"I dont compare Floyd's speed to his opponents! I compare one version of Floyd to another version of Floyd, because he changes from fight to fight!

Marcos had good enough footwork to keep up with Floyd in the first fight! In the second, Floyd made him look too slow! Based off the second fight, I still felt Pac would be too much for Floyd! But when they fought, Floyd was in another gear! He made Pac look like a small, flatfooted, brawler with slow hands!"

The Floyd who faced JMM, was blisteringly faster than the Floyd who faced Judah yet he's older!

I dont even talk about speed for that reason. He changes from fight to fight!

When Floyd faced Ghost, he would pounce across the ring in a single bound! He was again, a completely different fighter! Due to Ghost size, reach, and height, Floyd wanted to fight him like he did Genero Hernandez! In the 3rd round, I remember Floyd gliding!

But Floyd wouldnt even do that against Ray! Due to Ray's style, and slenderness, I expect Floyd to rough him up similar to Canelo, but worse because Canelo is big and bulky! Ray is a tall skinny man!

I expect the fights to be identical almost! I absolutely do think that its a whitewash, and I give him credit but this is the thing;

IT IS NOT FAIR, to compare fighters from an outdated era, to boxing-machines from the future! Thats not fair to SRL! If Floyd or Pac fought in his era, he would be SHOCKED!

Look at how he ducked Hagler! I REALLY feel that its a GREAT chance we wouldnt see Pac vs SRL! Floyd doesnt have that brutalizing thing that Pac had, so I dont think SRL would duck Floyd! He would try, and he would fail! But I just dont think that those fighters are mentally prepared to witness these caliber of fighters in an era like that!

Specially considering that SRL was the best in that era and he beat most of them, but Floyd is the best in our era, and he is WAAAAAY better than SRL! Their best AINT SHIET compared to our best! This is the future fam!

Comment

• sugar ray and hearns are the only fighters that i would favour over floyd at 147. too much size and the skill to go with it

Comment

• Hearns and SRR are the only fighters I'd pick to beat Mayweather. Whitaker would give him serious problems too.

Comment

• Leonard beats Floyd. No doubt. Hearns KO's Floyd badly. Hearns is the worst matchup and Floyd's worst nightmare. Whitaker vs Floyd means worst fight to watch ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skip Bayless View Post
                  sugar ray and hearns are the only fighters that i would favour over floyd at 147. too much size and the skill to go with it
                  I have never seen SRL face a BUM, and do anything REMOTELY as skilled as what Floyd is doing in those sigs! Everytime I see these Floyd sigs, I get caught up and have to stare a little!

Comment

• Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                    Yeah I don't get people that say Tyson was past it when he lost to Douglas, he hadn't physically declined and he didn't get punished in any preceding fights. The reality is that he was unfocused and his corner was not prepared for the challenge that Douglas brought (a 42-1 underdog is supposed to be a walkover). Most people think a fighter's prime is when he gets his best wins, it's not..... A fighter's prime is when he's physically at his peak. That's why you get the term "wasted prime years".

I only have to scold you for getting into an argument with boxingscene's biggest Pac Stan slow motion troll.

You have to credit Mayweather for always taking his opponents seriously, a lot of great fighters lost against guys they shouldn't have.... Floyd in his mid to late thirties still gave high performance levels which gave the illusion that he was still prime but really his prime ended after the Marquez fight, his feet became noticeably slower in the Mosley fight.

In regards to the topic, SRL would be favoured quite strongly (especially because he's the natural 147 lber) but I don't believe its a fact that he would have won.
                    As I told another poster, I should have learned my lesson when he posted a video of why Mayweather lost to Pacquiao, and the video thumbnail pic had a score of 69-120 in favor of Pacquiao. I REALLY should have learned my lesson when he started referring to Mayweather as my hero. That whole bickering session was just so that he could trash Mayweather, and I fell for it. My fault lol

As for the fight, I believe it would go either way, but I'd pick Mayweather to win. He's just too smart, and too slippery. There's that, and the the fact that outside of Castillo I (where he had a torn rotator cuff and still eked out a W), we've never seen him in real trouble in a fight.

Comment

• I really doubt that you would have beat him seŅor Leonard! not because you don't have the skills but because JR would have avoided you more than a dog avoids showers! LOL does anyone remember the whooping chavez sr. handed Roger? that was epic there was 2 fight and sr. whooped him on both occasions!

Comment

Working...
                      X