No announcement yet.

Interesting conversation I just had at a bar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I woulda asked him about Lara lol. From people like that, you'd probably get "He boring doe".
    Or that Lara is completely and utterly full of **** and he's trying to use Golovkin's name to double his fan base which presently stands at about 20 people ...

... and that if he were serious about launching a Middleweight campaign, he'd ask for an easily makeable fight vs. Danny Jacobs and win it, in order to become Golovkin's mandatory come December 2016

They could say that too ...

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
      I'm in NYC right now and I just came from a bar in the LES area. I'm sitting next to a guy who is friends with the bartender and I hear them say "Broner". My ears perk up because it's rare to be in a bar and hear people talk boxing. They asked what happened to Broner after Maidana. So I speak up and tell them he lost to Porter and he beat Allakhverdiev for the lightweight WBA title. I guess you could call these two people semi-casual fans. We talk more and I tel them Crawford is coming to NYC Feb. 27th and the bartender gets excited and said to his friend they should go. He said he went to the GGG fight at MSG and waited until the day of the fight and bought a $100 ticket for $18. His friend asked if the ticket was in the nose bleeds and he said no, it was the level right above the floor seats. Now that I know these guys are a level above casual fans and a level below hardcore fans I start asking them other questions. Did they see the Wilder fight in NYC? No. And he looked at me kinda puzzled when I said Wilder's name. So I ask if they're thinking about going to the Thurman fight in March. They ask me who is he fighting. I told them Porter but they didn't seem to interested. The bartender is from Mexico and his friend from Brazil. The bartender is a big GGG fan. He repeats the same thing most boxing fans repeat "everybody is afraid to fight GGG". I didn't get into the nuances of the situation. So I brought up the possible Hopkins fight. He was all for it. I brought up a possible DeGale fight and he had no idea who Degale was. I brought up Ward to see his reaction and it was the same as here. "Andre Ward barely fights. Why does everybody have him p4p when he never fights?". They were also cool with the Khan/Canelo fight. The Mexican liked GGG more than Canelo but he did bring up a good point. He said Canelo isn't afraid of GGG, Oscar is. I asked him why does it seem a lot of Mexicans don't like Canelo and he said because he's a "white boy" and a "ginger". The Brazilian guy was a big Roman Gonzalez fan and called him by his nickname, Chocolatito.

We talked for a little while about boxing but my biggest takeaways were this:

PBC is doing a horrible job of getting their boxers name out there. They knew who Broner was but hadn't followed him since his loss to Maidana. They didn't even know Wilder fought in NY a couple of weeks ago.

GGG has some real hardcore fans but he has a price his fans will pay to see him and it aint that high. The Mexican bartender picked GGG to beat Canelo but he waited until the last minute to buy tickets to the GGG fight at a severely discounted price.

They didn't really have any interest in MMA and they had to be in their late 20's early 30's.

I was just happy to talk boxing in a bar. I even stayed and ordered two more drinks.
      Everytime a PBC fight comes on, I literally have to track the fight down.

A lot of times, the local news channel overrides PBC fights and if you don't know where the follow on channel is that's hosting the PBC fight, you're SOL.

Very bad TV provider business.

Comment

Where does the bartender work?
        Just GGG may need a new opponent soon

Comment

I'm in NYC right now and I just came from a bar in the LES area. I'm sitting next to a guy who is friends with the bartender and I hear them say "Broner". My ears perk up because it's rare to be in a bar and hear people talk boxing. They asked what happened to Broner after Maidana. So I speak up and tell them he lost to Porter and he beat Allakhverdiev for the lightweight WBA title. I guess you could call these two people semi-casual fans. We talk more and I tel them Crawford is coming to NYC Feb. 27th and the bartender gets excited and said to his friend they should go. He said he went to the GGG fight at MSG and waited until the day of the fight and bought a $100 ticket for $18. His friend asked if the ticket was in the nose bleeds and he said no, it was the level right above the floor seats. Now that I know these guys are a level above casual fans and a level below hardcore fans I start asking them other questions. Did they see the Wilder fight in NYC? No. And he looked at me kinda puzzled when I said Wilder's name. So I ask if they're thinking about going to the Thurman fight in March. They ask me who is he fighting. I told them Porter but they didn't seem to interested. The bartender is from Mexico and his friend from Brazil. The bartender is a big GGG fan. He repeats the same thing most boxing fans repeat "everybody is afraid to fight GGG". I didn't get into the nuances of the situation. So I brought up the possible Hopkins fight. He was all for it. I brought up a possible DeGale fight and he had no idea who Degale was. I brought up Ward to see his reaction and it was the same as here. "Andre Ward barely fights. Why does everybody have him p4p when he never fights?". They were also cool with the Khan/Canelo fight. The Mexican liked GGG more than Canelo but he did bring up a good point. He said Canelo isn't afraid of GGG, Oscar is. I asked him why does it seem a lot of Mexicans don't like Canelo and he said because he's a "white boy" and a "ginger". The Brazilian guy was a big Roman Gonzalez fan and called him by his nickname, Chocolatito.

We talked for a little while about boxing but my biggest takeaways were this:

PBC is doing a horrible job of getting their boxers name out there. They knew who Broner was but hadn't followed him since his loss to Maidana. They didn't even know Wilder fought in NY a couple of weeks ago.

GGG has some real hardcore fans but he has a price his fans will pay to see him and it aint that high. The Mexican bartender picked GGG to beat Canelo but he waited until the last minute to buy tickets to the GGG fight at a severely discounted price.

They didn't really have any interest in MMA and they had to be in their late 20's early 30's.

I was just happy to talk boxing in a bar. I even stayed and ordered two more drinks.
          So what we should take from this is that Oscar is afraid of GGG.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but i could never imagine getting into boxing talk at a bar in my neck of the woods.

People could talk about Joshua, Haye and Khan a little. But things would run dry after that.
            Most wouldn't know about Alvarez, Golovkin or even Pacquiao's next opponent in Bradley. They certainly wouldn't know about the likes of Gonzalez or Thurman.

All the pub talk is about football (soccer) which is cool for me. It would be good to be able to talk boxing now and again though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
              Slightly off topic, but i could never imagine getting into boxing talk at a bar in my neck of the woods.

People could talk about Joshua, Haye and Khan a little. But things would run dry after that.
              Most wouldn't know about Alvarez, Golovkin or even Pacquiao's next opponent in Bradley. They certainly wouldn't know about the likes of Gonzalez or Thurman.

All the pub talk is about football (soccer) which is cool for me. It would be good to be able to talk boxing now and again though.
              I had an Irish guy tell me that Vitali Klitschko would go down as one of the greatest of all time. He ended up telling me that I dksab when I disagreed with him lol

Comment

Originally posted by Russ. View Post
                Most ppl dont know **** about boxing................

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post

Yea it was cool as ****. I hear "Broner" and my ears perked up. We talked and I even got a shot of the $20 per shot single malt for free.

Comment

Post too long therefore not read. Red K sent. Thanks.

Comment

I agree but these are more than casual fans. If they know Gonzalez they should know Wilder and they should know Wilder just fought in their city but they don't.
                      So basically when it comes to Marketing Adrian Broner is smarter then the rest of the cats...! He piggy backed of Mayweathers name, got massive coverage world wide.

Even Here in Britain his fights with Demarco, Malignaggi, and Maidana received coverage. He was being described as the Mayweather protege, and the NEW Mayweather.

PBC dont know how to market their fighters properly and the fighters themselves dont seem to know how to market themselves.

Danny Garcia has large Puerto Rican base to tap into but apart from the fight with Herrera in Rico...! He has not done jack to try and ingratite himself to that base.

Amir Khan large Indian/Pakistani communities in New York, Chicago, Houston, and also large Arab communties in New york, Jersey, and greater Detroit has not done jack to tap in to those markets.

Broners "About Billions" is smarter then the other jack asses.

Comment

Working...
                      X