Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Bob Arum correct about GBP's fight selection for Victor Ortiz? Poll.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
    Yeah that's a better fight, but would that really teach Ortiz to fight defensively? A pillow fisted fighter who while skilled wouldn't make Ortiz blink. At least with this loss he realises that he can't fight the way he did on Saturday and be successful at the top. Golden Boy will get him a new trainer, and hopefully Ortiz can move forward.

To be fair, sometimes a loss is the best thing for a fighter.

Look at David Haye.
    Yeah, I definitely think we needed to find out that his defense was piss poor. The real controversy came when they let him open his mouth. He needs to sit and do some homework on how to speak with Max Kellerman. I know he was a little punchy at that point but you can't just talk like a stoned surfer talking about "This just ain't my ****." Honesty was a lot of his downfall in this situation.

Comment

You probably dont match your prize prospect with a guy who has knocked every guy out he has fought aside from two dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrendanWoodside View Post
        You probably dont match your prize prospect with a guy who has knocked every guy out he has fought aside from two dudes.
        There had to be a better way to test his defense than putting him in with a relatively unknown KO machine. However, I have to admit it's boring watching JML type fights where it's essentially watching someone drop a white rat in which a large snake. Literally just a countdown to destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
          Yeah that's a better fight, but would that really teach Ortiz to fight defensively? A pillow fisted fighter who while skilled wouldn't make Ortiz blink. At least with this loss he realises that he can't fight the way he did on Saturday and be successful at the top. Golden Boy will get him a new trainer, and hopefully Ortiz can move forward.

To be fair, sometimes a loss is the best thing for a fighter.

Look at David Haye.
          i dont think this was a good match up and its sounds like he has alot to figure out in his head....he sounded like he was call it a career in the post fight interview

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
            Do you think Bob Arum was correct in his following quote regarding Golden Boy's most recent fight selection for Victor Ortiz? I realize, it's hard to agree with a Promoter when they speak about fighters outside of their stable but attempt to be objective. Poll to follow. Please discuss. Here's the quote:

“Ortiz is a good fighter but you don't put Ortiz is in with an Argentine guy that nobody heard of, who is a good puncher, etc. You put him in with a Lamont Peterson. If Peterson wins, then you got somebody going. Now they got a frigging Argentine guy, who lost to [Andreas] Kotelnik, who is fighting Amir Khan and if he wins he is going to end up fighting Dmitriy Salita. So that's the level, you are not building anything,” Arum said.
            Anybody can say anything after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by swizz View Post
              i dont think this was a good match up and its sounds like he has alot to figure out in his head....he sounded like he was call it a career in the post fight interview
              Ortiz's fight was a great matchup choice. Golden Boy couldn't predict that Ortiz was lacking in the heart and will department. They put Ortiz in with a tough puncher who had very limited skills. Maidana can't jab, has no lateral movement, and has absolutely zero defensive skills. On paper Ortiz should of crushed him by 8 rounds. Who knew Oriz was going to abandon his jab and stop boxing and brawl with a brawler. It's better than watching Top Rank fighters get fed lower level opposition and avoid Top Tier fighters until they feel they are on their way out and too old. Solid Matchup Oriz vs Maidana. Victor just failed the exam, you can't blame Golden Boy for him quitting a fight where he knocked the guy down 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Naldo View Post
                Ortiz's fight was a great matchup choice. Golden Boy couldn't predict that Ortiz was lacking in the heart and will department. They put Ortiz in with a tough puncher who had very limited skills. Maidana can't jab, has no lateral movement, and has absolutely zero defensive skills. On paper Ortiz should of crushed him by 8 rounds. Who knew Oriz was going to abandon his jab and stop boxing and brawl with a brawler. It's better than watching Top Rank fighters get fed lower level opposition and avoid Top Tier fighters until they feel they are on their way out and too old. Solid Matchup Oriz vs Maidana. Victor just failed the exam, you can't blame Golden Boy for him quitting a fight where he knocked the guy down 3 times.
                You don't think this fight selection is similar to Khan vs Prescott. A fight that is now viewed as one of the worst decisions by a team in recent memory? I do think it was a good test and in the second round it nearly payed off.. However in the first round Ortiz was also extremely fortunate to have found his way out of the round. Most importantly though is the fact that Ortiz is GBP's #1 cash cow prospect. I don't want to say it was a bad decision outright but I have a lot of difficulty saying it was a good decision.

Comment

At least with Ortiz being with Golden Boy, we got to see him exposed sooner than what he would have if he was still with Arum. The Knobbobber would've still had him fighting the bums he was like Maussa.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta View Post
                    At least with Ortiz being with Golden Boy, we got to see him exposed sooner than what he would have if he was still with Arum. The Knobbobber would've still had him fighting the bums he was like Maussa.
                    Perhaps if he wasn't in there with The Argentenian Knockout Machine he would have managed to develop some defensive savvy. Possibly even a plan B other than just the notion that he could punch his way out of adversity. I'm not saying ressurect JLC so he can beat him down or anything but slightly more gradual would have been the remedy here. IMO. Anytime you have 6 rounds of both fighters having a puncher's chance at ending the fight at any moment, your making the wrong gamble with a blue chip guy like Ortiz.

Comment

yes business wise. but its good to find out now that hes not vicious.

Comment

Working...
                      X