Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don King: "Floyd feels DISRESPECTED by his team and them NOT LISTENING to him"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don King: "Floyd feels DISRESPECTED by his team and them NOT LISTENING to him"

Promoter Don King says he and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are 'hanging out to see what happens'
    BY Tim Smith
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

LAS VEGAS - Promoter Don King and welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. have been hanging out in Florida for the past five days, and depending upon your perspective, that's either good news or bad news.

Mayweather has been on vacation since he beat Shane Mosley on May 1. He didn't participate in or even acknowledge negotiations for a proposed match with Manny Pacquiao. And now his cozying up to King is an indication that he's not too happy with Golden Boy Promotions, the company he has worked with for his last four fights, or his advisers, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe.

"We're hanging out to see what happens," King said by telephone Saturday morning. "He's been here for five days. We've gone out to dinner. We went to a comedy show in Miami. We're going to have a barbecue at my house (Saturday)."

King said Mayweather called him a couple of weeks ago and suggested that they meet for dinner.

"We've been talking about his future and where he wants to go and what he wants to do," King said. "Right now he's not sure what he wants to do."

And King is more than happy to lay out a road map to further riches for Mayweather, the most talented boxer and the biggest Pay-Per-View attraction in the sport.

King said Mayweather doesn't feel as if he is getting the proper respect from his representatives, which is difficult to believe considering he was recently ranked as the No. 2 highest-paid athlete, after Tiger Woods, by Forbes Magazine with $65 million in income this year.

"For him it's all a matter of the disrespect that he's feeling and them not listening to him," King said. "It's all about pride and dignity. I understand him completely because we share a common background as rising from the ghetto.

"He wants his dignity, his respect and his pride to remain intact and he wants to get paid. That's where I come in. I'm the mix master."

It isn't the first time that King and Mayweather have had a flirtation. Each time it has ended with Mayweather returning to the people who were representing him before he connected with King.

At a National Association of Black Journalists sports task force forum in Las Vegas a few years ago when Mayweather, King and promoter Bob Arum were on the same panel, Mayweather revealed that King had once tried to secretly steal him away from Arum, who was promoting him at the time.

Because Mayweather is a promotional free agent and technically doesn't have a manager, he is free to sign with King now. He has been working with Golden Boy Promotions on a fight-by-fight fee basis. He also has his own promotion company, Mayweather Promotions, which has been partnering with Golden Boy on his most recent fights.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...e_what_ha.html
    Yes
    24.00%
    No
    58.00%
    Maybe
    18.00%

Damn Floyd...

Just enjoy your vacation!

Comment

I would love to see Floyd bring King back but I don't see it happening.

Comment

King will get him the fights he wants, but if Floyd wasn't smart enough to hustle DLH and Schaefer he's going to get raped by King.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post
          Damn Floyd...

Just enjoy your vacation!
          What? Floyd is supposed to shut off his mind while on vacation?
          When I go on vacation I still think...WTF do you do?..lol

Comment

be careful Floyd...lol..

Comment

It would be the most foolish choice you have EVER made. King DESTROYS careers, not only in the ring but outside of it as well.

Comment

awwwww, ***** Floyd is upset......... about Oscar telling the Mexican media that there was a negotiation..

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  I would love to see Floyd bring King back but I don't see it happening.
                  I would not...

Comment

Originally posted by IdNod4u2 View Post
                    What? Floyd is supposed to shut off his mind while on vacation?
                    When I go on vacation I still think...WTF do you do?..lol
                    Obviously you didn't read/heard everything Floyd said last month...

".....I'd go on vacation and spend more time with my family, and NOT THINK ABOUT BOXING..." - Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Go on vacation and think more!

Comment

Working...
                    X