Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Of Chris Byrd Stood Any Chance Against Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The people at HBO knew Byrd had no chance in hell of hurting Lennox which is why the fight never happened.

HBO hated Lennox, and sent an army of who they thought were Heavy hitters, to dethrone the great champion: Golota, Briggs, Grant, Tua, Rahman, Tyson, Vitali...Lennox beat them all.

Byrd might have managed to steal rounds but there is no way he could hurt lennox.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Your making out Grant to be a world beater when the reality of it is that he was nothing more than a hyped-up bum with all the hyping being done by Lennox Lewis and his camp... John Ruiz lost to Tua getting caught with the first punch of the fight while still just a novice fighter, he then fought his way to be No1 contender with the WBA and go on to be a 3 times champion of the world as well as beating Golota & Hasim Rahman and losing controversial decisions to Nikolay Valuev (twice) and Ruslan Chagaev in world title fights, Ruiz floored Evander Holyfield something Lewis never came near to doing in 24rds...yet you make Grant the better opponent & fighter... check out the 1999 editions of Boxing News and you will find your proof of the Ruiz Lewis sparring session, you may also want to check-out the Boxing News 2000 editions and read about Lamon Brewster Lewis sparring session which will bring tears to your eyes.
      I'm not making Grant out to be anything other than what he was at the time he fought Lewis. You're trying to develop a convenient case of amnesia regarding the year that he fought Lewis. Grant was considered a dangerous opponent for Lewis with a good chance of upsetting him. Lewis was 34 at the time and many felt Grant was his heir apparent. The fights you mention for Ruiz with Rahman, Golota and the others happened long after Lewis chose to fight Grant. You also mention how Ruiz floored Holyfield as if that was feather in the cap against Lewis. Well Tyson failed to floor Holyfield. Toney floored Holyfield too. With your logic Ruiz and Toney punch harder than Tyson. Ruiz also fought an older version and much more faded version of Holyfield and never beat him convincingly. I know with your Lennox Lewis agenda that doesn't mean anything. And finally,any boxing news articles concerning sparring sessions? That's your job to provide that information to determine how credible the source is. You made the claim, you provide it. I'm not looking up anything.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 11-24-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
        The people at HBO knew Byrd had no chance in hell of hurting Lennox which is why the fight never happened.
        HBO were not interested in the fight, Byrd was never a draw
        HBO hated Lennox, and sent an army of who they thought were Heavy hitters, to dethrone the great champion: Golota, Briggs, Grant, Tua, Rahman, Tyson, Vitali...Lennox beat them all.
        You call giving someone a multi-million contract Hate?
        Byrd might have managed to steal rounds but there is no way he could hurt lennox.
        I agree

Comment

uh...... boxing is a sport. byrd didnt need to hurt lennox to win,

he won without hurting half of his opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post

i loved byrds counters.

i think the difference between toney and byrd (other than attitude and commitment to power) was that byrd is naturally a middleweight who blow himself up to "heavy/cruiser". while toney was a "cruiser/heavy" who squeezed down to middle.

but in the gym, i saw byrd drop many heavyweights with the straight left to the body.

dude was amazing.
            byrd and toney had similar styles ( i'm a fan of both ) but toney was way more aggressive, he wants to hurt you where byrd wants to win a points decision and is afraid to hurt his opponents. a prime byrd would lose to lewis but i agree that his skills would make lennox look bad, and that was a good enough reason for the 36 year old lennox to take an easier fight.

when byrd bulked up he lost his speed, i like byrd better when he was fighting at 213-217, when he started lifting weights he lost his movement and was forced to stand and trade a lot more, which wasn't as good a style for him.
            toney is a natural 175, maybe up to 190 lbs. like byrd when he gets too heavy he loses his skills. both are some of the best i've seen at slipping punches in the last 25 years or so

Comment

Chris Byrd was a good fighter man, best defensive skills I've seen in a heavyweight. I think that Lewis would have won because of the size difference and Lewis' skills but Byrd could make any heavyweight look like a fool at times..................Rockin'

Comment

Byrd was fairly good but I don't think he could have beat Lewis. Wlad and Vitali had a fairly easy time with him. I don't remember him wining a round against Vitali before the shoulder was hurt. Little suprised so many think he would beat Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
                  Byrd was fairly good but I don't think he could have beat Lewis. Wlad and Vitali had a fairly easy time with him. I don't remember him wining a round against Vitali before the shoulder was hurt. Little suprised so many think he would beat Lewis.
                  then your memory was bad,

because there was no injury.

he quit cause he was tired, he was also scared he would get stopped by a guy with no punching power.

its weird how people just swallow that bullcrap vitali was saying whole.

everyone saw vitali punch at byrds head and thought "byrds getting killed"

but his face was pristine.

vitali was swinging and missing alot. it was something he wasn't used to and he got scared when he stated running out of gas.

byrd was coming on in those last few rounds and vitali couldn't get out of the way enough.

watch the fight with out beer.

byrd won.

Comment

Working...
                  X