No announcement yet.

Ezzard Charles and Rocky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ezzard Charles and Rocky

Rocky gets a lot of hate on here but i think this fight shows he's actually a pretty great champion.

Ezzard Charles was slippery as hell damn near anyone would get schooled by him at HW if they tried out boxing him. Rocky smashed him.

I know Charles wasn't a real HW but rocky still looked smaller than him so thats no excuse. He smashed big men as well (although not good big men).

I mean currently we've got Haye whos a blown up LHW (look at his tiny ass head, he got stopped by a middleweight) and in the past we have had Moore, spinks and Holyfield, Holyfield probably more of a small HW than a blown up cruiser.

pretty interesting watching the early usage of the philly shell, i'm willing to bet there were a few users of it well before him, because he used it so naturally, as did Archie.

also, quick question about Archie Moore, who trained him? Roberto Duran used damn near all the same tricks just in a better athlete.;

"the old mongoose" is common refferral to his style, dipping in a little closer and pulling back slightly at straight thrown (without losing balance because he was forward in the first place)
    Last edited by them_apples; 11-09-2013, 01:09 PM.

i've never seen anyone use the "blown up heavyweight" thing on Rocky. Marciano just wasn't very big in the first place to get that.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
      i've never seen anyone use the "blown up heavyweight" thing on Rocky. Marciano just wasn't very big in the first place to get that.
      I wasn't implying that either. But when you are 186 lbs with only a 67 reach, you are one compact mfker.

but to be fair, he was about 240-250 lbs when he got fat, and I know plenty of fat heavyweights who come in at about that. Rocky was fit and strong, had a lot of natural man strength which is probably why the guy never tired. He didn't "lift" his way into a weight class, which saps your stamina.

Comment

Working...
      X