No announcement yet.

Antonio Tarver 60 Second Interview.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonio Tarver 60 Second Interview.

Age started boxing: 10. Jimmy Williams laid the foundation.

First boxing memory: My first fight, a 30-second knockout at Eddie Graham Sports Stadium in 1979. That was my first great memory and I was on my way after that.

Inspiration: Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were my idols.

Favourite all-time fighter: I have to say the “Marvelous” one [Marvin Hagler]. He looked like me, he shined like me and was a beast in that ring.

Best fight seen: Diego Corrales – God Bless his soul – and Jose Luis Castillo. When he came back after being down and out, that was tremendous.

Pre-fight meal: A lot of pasta, the stuff that gives you that energy.

What do you do to relax: Play golf and travel with my baby. I enjoy my daughter and family.

Pre-fight superstition: None.

What training do you do between fights (if any): I take two-three weeks off just to enjoy my victory. Take my wife on vacation, enjoy good cooking and all that stuff. I splurge a little.

Typical breakfast: Egg whites. Oatmeal. Some fruit. Tea and coffee sometimes, but not much.

Toughest part of being a boxer: The work you have to do for that level of success. I have people to support me, but if it don’t come from within, you can’t get it. You don’t ever play boxing.

Favourite music: R&B, hip-hop, Mary J [Blige], R Kelly, Jay Z.

Last book read: I don’t ever finish books.

Favourite film: Scarface.

What car do you drive: Depends on what day. I have nice cars. I got a Range Rover.

Where do you train: Calta’s Health & Fitness in Tampa, Florida and also at the University of Tampa.

Training routine: Monday, Wednesday and Friday I get up at 4.45, meet Rafael Ruiz at the University of Tampa for my strength and conditioning. I go home, take a nap, eat a light breakfast and lunch. Go to the gym at 2-4.30pm, try to make it home. Then at night we shake loose at about 10pm in the garage. And then, if need be, we go on like a three-mile sprint. Interval running. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I go with Dudley Pierce early in the morning on a nice, long run. And on Saturday we spar. Once we start, we spar every other day.

Toughest man you faced: Eric Harding was one. I would have to say Glen Johnson. Harding was just a southpaw that was very crafty and slick. Johnson just applies enormous pressure.

What supplements do you take: Amino Acids and multi-mineral vitamins.

If you weren’t a boxer what would you be: A golfer. I played with [Michael] Jordan in the Bahamas. I won about a grand from him.

Last place you went on holiday: Bahamas.

Favourite football team: The Bucs and the Cowboys.

Best boxer in the sport today: You have to say Floyd Mayweather. He’s making the most money.

ENJOY!
    http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=250
Working...
X