Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berto dancing and holding his way in a snoozefest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the fight boring, but to be honest, it wasn't my type of fight. I think a lot of fight fans tend to fall off the Berto wagon because he could be an exciting, fast punching, combo throwing boxer puncher with a loss on his record. Instead he tends to play it safe clinch, run around, and win.

It's the Mayweather effect. The undefeated record, the "boring" style of fighting, the gigantic PPV paychecks. I worry that you're going to see a lot more Mayweathers and a lot less Gatti's. I respect talented boxers like Mayweather, but I like watching less talented brawlers like Gatti.

Just my two cents!

Comment

Originally posted by r i z i View Post
      i know urango's tough, i just think berto's people got a bit spooked by the collazo fight and saw this as an easier fight for berto to display his skills.

either way, berto did what he had to do - it wasnt pretty but oh well

i dont think he'll ever be able to beat cotto (granted, if he isnt ruined which we will find out against clottey), mosley, etc.
      Personally I think he could beat Cotto... I also think Cotto could beat Berto as well.. Im just not high on the Cotto bandwagon... hes a very good fighter... but a beatable very good fighter..

So is Berto.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        Whats up lefty..

When Berto said stick to the gameplan, I think that's exactly what he meant.

The entire point of the fight was to correct the last problem he had with Collazo. DON'T get sucked into a brawl, or the other guys fight, like he did with Collazo... He tried to fight power shots inside with Collazo, and got outworked.

Stick to the game plan the entire fight this time Berto... BOX, all 12 rounds, and stay focused.. get the win, but stay focused.

I agree with you, it would of been nice to see the KO, but I think he was trying to focus on just outboxing for 12 rounds, because of his last performance with Collazo.

Also, I think Urango is just a ruggged dude, a tough customer... and nobody else has knocked him out either... so although, we would of liked to see a KO from Berto, that might be holding too high of a standard.

He boxed a shutout, Illl take it... lets move on to the next fight.. and see how we do.
        Understood and he did get the win although i don't think he boxed that great. Like I said before when he was tying the guy up he could have been stepping back or to the side and landing shots. Yeah he got the W and he pitched a shut out but like R!Z said below Urango aint that special and Berto in my mind could have outboxed this guy with his eyes closed I think he made it harder then it had to be by holding so damn much. Good win glad to see it happen but I think he could have stuck to the game plan for the first 7 or 8 rounds and in the 9th when he looked much fresher than Urango tried to put it on him. if it did happen then at least he tried. to me althought Urango got a tough beard as said Berto never tried to hurt him....Lefty

also keep in mind that hatton beat urango (ive said this way before pac-hatton that he sucks)

i like urango but he's nothing special. if you notice before the fight, he was warming up on the mitts with evangelista - every punch he threw was wide as hell. looks like he has to wing his damn punches for them to carry power. kinda like chuck liddel's infamous, wide ass, i can see this **** coming from a mile away super telegraphed right hand. i dont think hes capable of throwing straight down the pipe
        I agree R!Z Urango is a smaller version of a Carlos Baldomir / Jeff Lacy type fighter. has the spirit and is very game but the tools jaut arent there to beat a A or B Level fighter. In my mind Berto never really tred to get him out of there. I know his game plan was to box him but after he was up big in the 8th round or so instead of winking at Max Kellerman and sticking his tounge out he should have tried side stepping in the clinch and landing some power shots in bunches maybe he could have been the first to Ko this guy?...We will never know cause he never tried in my mind....Lefty

Comment

Personally I think he could beat Cotto... I also think Cotto could beat Berto as well.. Im just not high on the Cotto bandwagon... hes a very good fighter... but a beatable very good fighter..

So is Berto.
          i'm not on the cotto "bandwagon" either but in my eyes, he's twice the fighter berto is (as of right now atleast). who knows, berto might keep evolving into some super human unbeatable machine.

Comment

The only problem I have with Berto is his stamina seems to not be as good as it should...

And he used to kill the body, and he didnt really do that in this fight...

Comment

yeah lefty, definitely

berto never tried to hurt him, at all

he was complacent with staying away from urango's power and playing it safe by constantly tying up

Comment

also, wtf happened to berto's jab?

i remember seeing it as a key weapon .......... not so much for this fight

Comment

Yeah he didnt step into his jab or do much bodywork in this fight... Im not sure if that had something to do with Urango or not.

Urango did keep his hands high the entire fight, and he did keep constant pressure on Berto...

That might of had something to do with it.

Where Collazo just tried to outbox Berto, so Berto had more time to do what he wanted.

Comment

The only problem I have with Berto is his stamina seems to not be as good as it should...

And he used to kill the body, and he didnt really do that in this fight...
                    His corner told him to dig the left hand to the body but he never did Reed. His corner told him to stop holding but he never did Reed. His corner told him to throw combinations and move but he was content with holding as long as he reff was going to let him do so....Lefty

yeah lefty, definitely

berto never tried to hurt him, at all

he was complacent with staying away from urango's power and playing it safe by constantly tying up
                    He hurt him in the 12th with about 10 seconds left. he threw a left hook that hit Urango on the jaw and stunned him but he didn't follow up and hte fight ended . He proved that he could have hurt him had he tried too but he was content with holding. The worst thing I saw all night was Berto holding and pushing Irango back to the ropes and nither man throwing a single shot. It was terible the reff had to tell them their hands were free and to work....Lefty

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
                      Reed whut up son? I agree he fought a good fight minus the holding. The problem I had with him is he could have been hitting the guy rather then holding him. he was not tired that was evident so why hold the guy? He pushed him agains the ropes easily why not step back and drop a combo on him then skate? He seemed content with his 1 and 2 punch at a time out put and never really tried to put the guy away. I give him credit for winning the fight it was a good job but for a WW trying to prove he belongs with the elite atop the division to me it wasn't an eye opening performance. Urango looked crappy to me he never was able to put anything together I mean for god sakes he needed the reff to tell him to work on the inside? Berto defintely had him chasing a ghost all night I would have just liked to see Berto in one round really go for a KO. Give me one round after the 6th when you know you have 5 rounds in the bank already and try to hurt this guy. You have established control of the pace of the fight. You have the guy tired from chasing you by the 7th round or so. So why not just give it a go and if it aint happening go back to pot shotting and skate.....Lefty
                      First off, instead of taking credit away from Urango why don't people give credit to Berto.

I don't know if you have ever boxed Lefty and I'm not trying to discredit you or what you know about boxing but.....

It's easy to say "go for the knockout" when all it takes is one slip up from Berto with Urango's power, to get hit and get KO'd. Then if that would have happened, people would be talking about Berto's inexperience and how stupid he is.

Second, Urango wasn't hitting on the inside because Berto was clinching and Berto is a very fast fighter. He can slip in and out very easliy and it's difficult to hit a guy when he's holding you, then moving out. Especially the way Berto was hitting Urango with uppercuts and straight shots coming in and out.

Urango is a banger, nothing more. Berto showed he's more than a one dimensional fighter and fought a great fight with a very smart game plan. Why take the chance of losing because fans want to see Gatti vs Ward every single fight?

Boxing fans need to be more sophisticated when watching boxing and understand every fight will be different for a fighter depending who he is fighting.

Comment

Working...
                      X