EXPORT BAN on Nigers as.s..huge demand in China

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXPORT BAN on Nigers as.s..huge demand in China

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37286811

Niger has banned the export of donkeys, warning that a three-fold increase in trade, mainly to Asian countries, is threatening its donkey population.

"If the export continues the animals will be decimated," a government official has told the BBC.

China imports many donkey hides, using the gelatin in medicinal tonics, aphrodisiacs and anti-ageing creams.

In August, neighbouring Burkina Faso banned the export of donkey skins on similar grounds.
    "About 80,000 donkeys have been exported so far this year compared to 27,000 last year," Atte Issa, at Niger's livestock ministry, said.

The government has also banned the slaughter of any donkeys within Niger.

The BBC's Baro Arzika in Niger's capital, Niamey, says the trade in donkeys has become so profitable that livestock sellers are abandoning other animals for the donkey trade.

A donkey now costs between $100 (£75) and $145, when it used to cost about $34.
    A similar price hike in donkey skin was witnessed in Burkina Faso where the animal's hide rose from about $4 (£3) a few years ago to $50.

In both countries donkeys are commonly used to transport goods, though some communities eat their meat.

The ban was issued through a joint decree by Niger's ministries of farming, finance and internal affairs and trade.
    Gelatin made from donkey skin is highly prized in China as a medicinal tonic, thought to nourish the blood, boost the immune system and act as a general pick-me-up. It is sometimes referred to as one of the "three nourishing treasures" (zi bu san bao), along with ginseng and the antlers of young deer.

The most famous donkey gelatin is produced in Dong'e County in north-eastern Shandong Province, where it is traditionally made with the local well-water.

Donkey gelatin is sometimes mixed with walnuts, goji berries and other tonic foods and sold in dark, gummy slabs that can be eaten as a snack.

Health and longevity is a Chinese national obsession, and tonic foods like this are often lavishly packaged and presented as expensive gifts.

Aside from gelatin, donkey meat is a delicacy in some Chinese regions, especially in the north of the country.

Here, the lean meat is often simmered in a richly-spiced broth, and then cooled, sliced and served with a refreshing dip of chopped garlic and vinegar. The meat has a fine, dense texture and a marvellous flavour that's a little reminiscent of beef.

In northern Hebei province, one famous snack is the lu rou huo shao, in which chopped, spiced donkey meat is mixed with fresh green chilli and stuffed into a layered pastry - its name is sometimes translated into English as a "donkey burger".

Donkey meat may also be made into soups and stews.

As the Chinese middle classes have grown richer, demand for donkey gelatin and other tonic delicacies has soared - in January the New York Times reported that a shortage of donkey gelatin had encouraged a boom in imitation products.
    fuckin bait click...

Man Donkey is dirty, its similar to if someone ate rat meat or pigeons lol, I don't know if I would even try it I might puke knowing its donkey.

but I eat bone broth its the best for you very healthy for the gut

Just got some beef marrow and bones slow cook it over night with water in a slow cooker for 24 hours and strain it put it in the fridge skim the fat off the top and you are left with a gelatin/collagen substance that is healthy and you can make soup from it. it apparently heals stomach and bowel ailments if you drink the warm soup consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
      Man Donkey is dirty, its similar to if someone ate rat meat or pigeons lol, I don't know if I would even try it I might puke knowing its donkey.

but I eat bone broth its the best for you very healthy for the gut

Just got some beef marrow and bones slow cook it over night with water in a slow cooker for 24 hours and strain it put it in the fridge skim the fat off the top and you are left with a gelatin/collagen substance that is healthy and you can make soup from it. it apparently heals stomach and bowel ailments if you drink the warm soup consistently.
      I wish there was a magic pill to cure all diseases, but it's really just habit.... I stopped smoking, so I started running... I started running, so I began to eat healthy... I began eating healthy, so now I'm taking probiotics.. I'm now taking probiotics, so I'm reading the labels on my shampoos, face cleaners, and soaps
      Last edited by Infamous; 09-07-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Read that title completely wrong at first

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
          I wish there was a magic pill to cure all diseases, but it's really just habit.... I stopped smoking, so I started running... I started running, so I began to eat healthy... I began eating healthy, so now I'm taking probiotics.. I'm now taking probiotics, so I'm reading the labels on my shampoos, face cleaners, and soaps
          yup, its all about healthy lifestyle and diet man.

Try bone broth as well man, make it yourself though its dope stuff I usually drink a warm cup before sleeping and it makes me sleep like a baby and I dont get those hunger pains anymore at night where Im craving food.

I prefer power walking over jogging or running, running will destroy your knees, swimming is a better form to running, easier on the joints and more cardio inducing.

Probiotics what types do you take?

I dont take pills anymore I dont think they even work really, most of the bacteria is dead you have to test the pills when you buy them and keep them in the fridge, take two capsules put them in milk stir it and leave it over night on the kitchen counter check if it becomes yogure if it doesnt get thick or smell like yogurt the pills are worthless and the bacteria is dead.

Try to eat Saurkraut, greek yogurt or drink Kefir all better forms of probiotics.

Comment

At first glance, this appeared to be a racist thread.

I thought "uh oh, Amazinger gonna be banned"

But then I realized he's talking about a country.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
              At first glance, this appeared to be a racist thread.

I thought "uh oh, Amazinger gonna be banned"

But then I realized he's talking about a country.
              Cool story bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                You want it to read it the way you had in your mind.....That's why you clicked...
                You wassist!!

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                  You want it to read it the way you had in your mind.....That's why you clicked...
                  You wassist!!

In case you missed last weeks meeting:

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                    Glad I wasn't the only one kinda laughing at the thread title for a second.

Comment

Working...
                    X