No announcement yet.

Prime Jersey Joe Walcott vs Cassius Clay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Jersey Joe Walcott vs Cassius Clay

How does prime jersey do against ali, who fought cooper the 1st time?

Is there any chance Jersey could upset a green clay? copper nearly done it...

Comment

Originally posted by BalboaCreed View Post
      Is there any chance Jersey could upset a green clay? copper nearly done it...
      Besides that one punch Ali dominated Cooper twice. That said I would give a prime Walcott a shot at beating this version of Ali. Walcott was excellent at setting traps. Ali's speed is a problem for anybody, but I think Walcott would force Ali to come to him and look to counter. He had a very good left hook himself.

Comment

Personally I think Ali would be too green at that stage to deal with someone with the ring savvy and skill of Walcott, Ali would cause him problems but Walcott would most probably have planned ahead and lead him into a trap and Ali as cocky as he was would of walked straight into it.

I can see it going either way though because of Ali's superior reflexes and speed.

Comment

I think Clay would have been knocked out. He was too young then and too careless at times, Walcott would have lured him in and clocked him. Walcott was a better puncher than Cooper also.

I think Clay needed that scare vs Cooper to set his feet on to the ground a bit, and it was good that that happened and he learned from it.

but if he had ran into a fighter of Walcott's calibre and intelligence (as well as power), at that young, cocky stage, he probably would have been stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by BalboaCreed View Post
            How does prime jersey do against ali, who fought cooper the 1st time?
            Ali is #1 on my list of ATG HW, his speed is just unbelievable for his size, his footwork is just as great, great chin, great stamina, courageous and very smart in the ring. Against Cooper, Clay took more chances than he should have because he knew he was the best. But with Walcott, Clay would have been more careful and he would have use his speed and footwork. I see Clay making circles around Walcott hurting him round after round and win that fight. Ali is on another level... IMO

Comment

Some good comments here:

I personally think prime Walcott would have decisioned the 1963 version of Clay that got in the ring with Cooper that night.

But I dont see a well prepared/trained Clay taking quite so many chances against a prime Walcott as he did against Cooper. It could be a close fight!

Post 64 Ali definitely takes the matchup for me, though granted prime Walcott would be a very difficult fight for any version of Ali.

Comment

Very savvy fighter Walcott who as has been mentioned could counter pretty much any style.
                Have to bear in mind though that Clay was quite unlike any heavyweight before and had a unique style. So whilst Walcott could handle anything in the book could he handle anything not in the book? Be a great fight this

Comment

Alot of very good comments.I agree that Walcott was just a little to smart and savy for a 1963 Cassius Clay.But i believe the 1967 version of Muhammad Ali would be just a little to much for Walcott.

To answer your question.....Yes,Walcott would beat a 1963 Cassius Clay.

Comment

Working...
                  X