No announcement yet.

Rate my Training routine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate my Training routine

This is the routine I am currently running it is pretty fun and tough.

5am
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    3-7 mile jog
    Tuesday, Thursday
    Hill sprints

1pm:
    Circuit training
    20 situps
    15 pushups
    20 inverted rows
    25 DB shrugs with 60lb dumbells
    10 dips
    1 minute rest
    X10
    Going to increase the reps per circuit at a rate of 5 per week until I plateau

Heavy Bag work: 3 minutes x 5 rounds
    Slip bag work 10 minutes
    Speed Bag work 15 minutes

Tuesday, Thursday
    Dumbbell swings 10x10 each arm
    Push press 10x10
    Squats 10x10
    Russian Twist 20x10

Saturday and what ever other days I can: Sparing for 5 rounds

Sunday: Rest

Comments, questions and concerns are welcome.

Yea, looks tough enough.

Obviously you'd need to do the 5 AM roadwork/hill work at a respectable pace.

It could be a routine that you might struggle to maintain though. Its easy to sack off 5 AM work after two or three weeks!

Comment

Would you suggest I change any part of it? Trying to improve my striking power and endurance. I am intending adding jumprope intervals but not sure when.

Comment

What are you trying to get good at?

Comment

Boxing, trying to loss some weight slim up a bit and increase my punching power for cruiserweight ameuter.

Comment

You are training to fight 3 three minute rounds? You are fairly new to this? And you want to be a good boxer?
            Twice a week I would run, run, not jog, 3 miles. Three times a week, I would do the following, working in 3/1 intervals. I would take up three minutes alternately sprinting and running. For example, sprint for 30 seconds, then run (hard) for a minute, then sprint for a minute, etc...For your one minute break, walk as fast as you can.
            I would find myself a solid ab oriented exercise dvd that lasts about 20 minutes, hard and fast, and do it twice a day.
            Mostly I would focus on boxing. Hit the heavy bag. Shadow box. Skip the speed bag. I'm not sure what you are referring to as a slip bag, but if it is what I think it is, ditch that as well. I would focus my shadow boxing and heavy bag workouts on conditioning my mind.
            By that I mean...Always be fighting an opponent, don't just stand there throwing punches and doing things mindlessly. Make yourself slip a punch and counter, then get out. Learn to manage distance, and to develope timing. That is where you find punching power and accuracy.
            If your intent is to be a good boxer, focus on boxing, in everything you do. Always work sharp and focused. A lot of the stuff you are doing invites non-boxing, mindless repitition, and you fight how you train.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
              You are training to fight 3 three minute rounds? You are fairly new to this? And you want to be a good boxer?
              Twice a week I would run, run, not jog, 3 miles. Three times a week, I would do the following, working in 3/1 intervals. I would take up three minutes alternately sprinting and running. For example, sprint for 30 seconds, then run (hard) for a minute, then sprint for a minute, etc...For your one minute break, walk as fast as you can.
              I would find myself a solid ab oriented exercise dvd that lasts about 20 minutes, hard and fast, and do it twice a day.
              Mostly I would focus on boxing. Hit the heavy bag. Shadow box. Skip the speed bag. I'm not sure what you are referring to as a slip bag, but if it is what I think it is, ditch that as well. I would focus my shadow boxing and heavy bag workouts on conditioning my mind.
              By that I mean...Always be fighting an opponent, don't just stand there throwing punches and doing things mindlessly. Make yourself slip a punch and counter, then get out. Learn to manage distance, and to develope timing. That is where you find punching power and accuracy.
              If your intent is to be a good boxer, focus on boxing, in everything you do. Always work sharp and focused. A lot of the stuff you are doing invites non-boxing, mindless repitition, and you fight how you train.
              I see what you are saying about the heavybag work and the running interval (both of which I will change) but I have no idea why in the world you would drop the slipbag and speed bag. Could you explain to me why on that one?

Comment

depending on how you are hitting the speed-bag, it generally has little to do with boxing. In fact, again depending on how you are hitting it, the speed bag encourages bad habits. There are ways you can use it to improve accuracy, but you can do that better, in other ways. I would suggest the following: Using duct tape (the gray, really sticky stuff), make X's on your heavy bag. Make one to represent the chin, another for the solar plexus, the liver, the floating rib on the left side. Every time you make a move and punch, know where your punch is going and land it on the appropriate X. Accuracy also makes for power.
                By the slip bag do you mean the one that tyson used to use, that swung back and forth as he slipped side to side? If so...It encourages you to slip side to side, when it is really a more back and forth activity. If you just slip side to side, you stay at the end of the punches. by moving forward, you cut the angle and get between his fists and his body. It isn't done by moving the head, but by shifting the weight and moving the feet so as to avoid the punch while remaining able to move and punch.

Comment

Working...
                X