Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward is too bland but Adrien Broner is too ****y?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Ward. Fighters with his personality I usually gravitate to. I can't stand Boner

I think Ward is just about the best fighter on the planet so that is a plus too. Once Cotto formally retires, Ward will sit atop as my personal favorite fighter that is active. The whole god thing is kinda annoying, but if it keeps him humble as pie and presentable to the camera and public, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      You have two guys on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Ward is quite and well spoken while Broner is loud and brash.

So you would think people would gravitate to one or the other but instead they both get hated on.
      It's not necessarily the same people criticising both guys though is it?

Comment

I am not huge on Ward's fighting style, but I respect him greatly. I watch his fights but do not exactly set aside a Saturday night to watch him fight. I just find him so good at what he does, and what he does is so consistent, that I can predict very accurately how they are going to go.

Broner i will set aside a Saturday night for. I simply like fighters who kick a$$ and who can punch. You find a fighter who wants to beat the living h3ll out of his opponent, I will be there. Broner is already one of my favorite fighters.

Comment

It's simple. If you're a professional whatever, finding a balance is what you need.

Comment

If Ward builds on the approach he hasd for Dawson (wanting to hurt and punch hard), he'll grow in peoples eyes and even more so if he takes on and beats the Kessler-Froch II winner in Denmark/England.

Broner.... Well you can get away with a lot of childish talk and shenanigans if you fight so good and KO's your opponents with ease. I might be one of the few, but I have noticed him saying some interesting stuff and he had me lol once. The kid is what? 23? He will do better when he finds his own act and he just might be next big thing. We'll see when he steps up.

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            This is true. Ward is very well liked in Europe.
            I don't know if he is 'liked', but he certainly is known and respected as a p4p'er.

Comment

I personally can't stand Broner's personality. Too clownish and it grates on my nerves. But he can fight.

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              It's not necessarily the same people criticising both guys though is it?
              On these forums I have noticed that it is. Nationality and/or race seems to be the driving factor.

Comment

I don't find Ward bland at all, he's actually a funny guy but he doesn't show that side often. There are guys like Trout and Geale that I find straight up bland.

Comment

what does bland mean?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    I personally can't stand Broner's personality. Too clownish and it grates on my nerves. But he can fight.

On these forums I have noticed that it is. Nationality and/or race seems to be the driving factor.
                    The main divide I've noticed is that the flomo types always seem to be hyper-critical of guys like Matthysse and Golovkin, almost as a rule. It definitely seems to me that race is to some extent a factor for those guys.

The flomos might counter that race is a factor in people not liking guys like Broner as well. I think for the most part that's mistaken. Speaking for myself, Broner's arrogant douchebaggery just doesn't do anything for me.

I just don't see that douchebaggery as a black thing, I see it as an Adrien Broner thing, and worse than that as a kind of crude stereotyping thing. Because at the end of the day, people are encouraging this behaviour and this playing up to stereotypes to make money off of it. And not everything is ok just because it makes some people rich.
                    Last edited by Dr Rumack; 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I respect Ward terrifically for keeping it real and not deciding to act like an imbecile and cultivate a lame persona to make more money. He's a pure talent. And he's actually pretty interesting. He's a nice guy but there's a mean streak there which you can really see comes out in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X