Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain why Sergio Martinez vs Andre Ward at 160 doesnt make sense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RapidFire26 View Post
    Martinez' team thinks Sergio would lose to Ward and never want him to fight above 160. They are pretty clear about that.

Ward may already be the P4P best, is like 9 years younger than Sergio , and bigger, so I could see why they would want to avoid that fight.

It'd be nice if Martinez would challenge himself further, but I think he would lose as well.
    Yes, my point is that Martinez calls out Mayweather, but Mayweather is proportionally smaller than Martinez it is with respect to Ward

Comment

Originally posted by nachorjj View Post
      Yes, my point is that Martinez calls out Mayweather, but Mayweather is proportionally smaller than Martinez it is with respect to Ward
      Well, they admit he would lose. Floyd's father as well his two uncles say Floyd would beat Martinez.

Martinez is also older than Mayweather, while Ward is just entering his physical prime. Ward may very well be just as skilled as Mayweather, but bigger and younger.

Martinez has even offered a catchweight as low as 150 for Mayweather (tons at his age), while Ward mentioned going down just four pounds once from what I can recall despite the fact he is much younger than Martinez.

Martinez-Ward would be a big fight, but not nearly as big as Martinez-Mayweather, so there is that aspect of it too.

Comment

Martinez if he was truly great would move up 1 division and fight Ward at 168 before Ward leaves the division.

I doubt it happens though.

I think Martinez's camp is scared of Andre Ward.

Comment

id rather have sergio go up at 168 after he fights floyd at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
            We have no proof that Ward can't make 160 lbs....he's never said he couldn't. Ward use to fight at 160 lbs...find me a quote from Ward where he said he can't make 160 lbs.
            Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
            "I would love to fight Martinez but I don't think it is possible because of the weight. Martinez's people say that he is a small middleweight and they are right. They say that if I go down to 160 then a fight could happen but I don't think that is possible."
            Andre Ward
            Thank u.....

Comment

This fight shouldn't be made. Both men would be way out of their comfort zones. I think Martinez has the skills to beat a drained Ward at 160. Ward has the size advantage to beat a blown up Martinez at 168. Personally, after Martinez's home coming against Murray (won't be easy) I'd like to see him unify against one of the other champions, whoop Chavez again and then retire as one of the p4p best.

Comment

Originally posted by BROOKLYN CESAR View Post
                Sergio is the man but ward is way to clinical for him imo!!
                agreed, ward fights very similar to floyd mayweather. their styles vary slightly but their ring IQ is on par with one another

the only reason I favor martinez over floyd is the size advantage, he doesn't have that against ward which is why ward easily wins that fight

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
                  agreed, ward fights very similar to floyd mayweather. their styles vary slightly but their ring IQ is on par with one another

the only reason I favor martinez over floyd is the size advantage, he doesn't have that against ward which is why ward easily wins that fight

Thank you.

Comment

Ward is at SMW and has mentioned a move up to LHW
                    how the hell is he gonna drop to MW?
                    and why would he anyway? he doesn't need Martinez
                    he has a better resume than him and is probably better known

Comment

martinez is too small for ward

Comment

Working...
                      X